You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Occupational Therapy International Online Network (OTION).

Our goal is to provide an online resource for the international occupational therapy community through this on-line forum.

You will have the opportunity to participate in discussion topics related to your practice area and interact with your international colleagues. A moderator, who will be a resource to the group, monitors each topic.

We look forward to your participation and contribution to international occupational therapy practice.

If you are new, please click here to register. If you have already registered, click here to login.

#26 Saturday 22nd of October 2016 14:22

kyla.rocafort

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 3: The Things I Like about OT

Diverse. If there is one word that I can use to describe OT, it would be DIVERSE. I love the fact that OT encompasses life itself. I love the fact that OT is an all-around course. I love the fact that we highlight the importance of participation. I love the fact how we have a completely different definition of “occupation.” I love the way OT makes us flexible. I love the fact that we analyze toys.  I love the way OT practices a teaching-learning process. I love the grading system. I love the way OT surprises people that they need us, the occupation and the enablement that we provide to sustain and obtain maximum performance. I just love how Occupational Therapy is unique and special all at the same time.

The closest interaction I had with an occupational therapist was during our fieldwork during our first year. I had a glimpse of the life of an occupational therapist under the pediatric section. The way they work reflects how happy they are with what they do. I can’t wait to feel the same gratitude in the future.

OT has enabled me to think more critical and observe more keenly. In fact, after our fieldwork this year, I was more observant. During the fieldwork, my partner and I observed a toddler play, and we evaluate his motor, cognitive and social skills. After that experience, I tend to observe children playing and running around malls and analyze and predict their age based on the motor skills (e.g the way they walk, run, hop and carry objects) and language skills they show. Then after guessing the age in my mind, I would politely ask the parent for the child’s age. I would be pleased with myself whenever I get the correct answer.  It may sound absurd, but every time I’m able to remember and apply what I learned in observation and living, it makes me more determined to learn more about OT. Also, OT has taught me to place myself into the shoes of others which make me realize the importance of a certain occupation to people (even if it does not hold meaning to me before). This is a great motivation to work harder so as to provide the clients the opportunity to engage in occupations and find meaning in their life. The most important experience I’ve had so far is reflection. OT has enabled me to reflect and dig deeper to my core. It has enabled me to be more open and understanding. OT has made me establish a strong sense of self-identity within myself.

“Occupation is a strong enabler of knowing one’s self.” (Hasselkus) This is my favorite OT quotation. It makes people appreciate the things they had and have, and it makes people reflect hardcore. What’s your favorite OT quotation? smile

#27 Saturday 22nd of October 2016 16:43

KawJemilyn

That's so flattering, Cathy! smile As fellow OT students, we should encourage each other to give our best in everything for we're riding the same plane to our destination, right? Another thing I like in being an OT student (particularly here in UPM-CAMP) is the group of friends that I meet here (that includes you!). We all came from different parts of the world, we all meet here for certain reasons. I'm thankful to have you guys who have different ways to brighten up my day. Not to mention, our professors here are also worth loving <3 They're supportive and make you feel like home. CAMP is our home <3

cetalastas wrote:

Hi, Jem! With all that you have enumerated as what do you like with OT, I have seen how passionate you are in continuing this course. Because of all the challenges encountered in the journey in becoming an OT ,sometimes I tend to lose focus and forgot the why's in my life. However, right now I know that if I lose track, I just need to reread your post for your post enables and will enable me to be driven with motivation again. I am very grateful of what you have shared and hopefully someday I could be as dedicated as you are for this profession.

KawJemilyn wrote:

What I like about OT:

1. The means and chances you get to help others - I grew up with parents who are strict with how I am and how I act as a child inside and outside the house; since childhood, I always encourage myself to help people including those who I don't really like. With OT, I start to discover the bigger chances of making other people's lives easier in a professional way.

2. How OTs can inspire, motivate and change other people's lives - I always wanted to be a doctor, because doctors save lives; but now, I'm choosing between saving lives or touching lives. OTs don't give up easily; they find ways even the smallest possible intervention just to reach their goals: to help their clients improve. OTs, themselves, is inspirational, for you really need tough patience, abundant brain cells, creative mind, skillful hands, and a positive attitude to touch other people's lives; moreover, occupational therapy, the profession, contains so many knowledge, with the aid of occupational science, that are intricate and more meaningful that merely going into the surgery room. (A more friendly way?) What do you think?

3. How you can relate your life and your surroundings with what you study in OT - The first client that I'm observing (as a future OT) is myself. It is magical to discover and analyze the reasons behind your daily occupations (basically, what you do and how you act everyday!). Using the different theories and models being taught inside the classroom, I tend to evaluate myself for my actions and even experiment by "intervening" the process of how I do or how I act upon a certain matter. I believe that the best gift you can give to yourself and to everyone (especially, future clients) is the newly-improved self. With the help of analyzing theories, I tend to balance my actions, control my own attitudes, find reasons and resolution to problems of my own age. In the process of learning to become an OT, I began taking time to analyze other people's acts through their perspectives and understand them. (e.g., adolescents in their puberty stage, psychology of people based on their age groups, etc.)

4. HANDS ON! - You will never learn unless you do it on action; it's not merely pure memorization. Each case has its own unique way to handle.

5. LOVE <3 - everything we learn in OT will not work well unless we put our whole HEART on it. Like what my mom said, if you don't love it, then you'll never get attached to it. (Like how I look upon our current subjects now).

These are my 5 big reasons why I like OT.

If time permits, I might add because there are a lots of stuff to LIKE/LOVE about OT. smile

Feel free to comment and reply to my post!

#28 Saturday 22nd of October 2016 16:47

KawJemilyn

Kyla! My one of my favorite quotes is from Florence Clark. "Occupational therapy practitioners know that hope still glimmers in the darkest hour. The realms of community reintegration, engagement in life, and doing the things that make life WORTH LIVING are the focus of occupational therapy."

Seems like we've got this superhero job on our back wink

kyla.rocafort wrote:

Diverse. If there is one word that I can use to describe OT, it would be DIVERSE. I love the fact that OT encompasses life itself. I love the fact that OT is an all-around course. I love the fact that we highlight the importance of participation. I love the fact how we have a completely different definition of “occupation.” I love the way OT makes us flexible. I love the fact that we analyze toys.  I love the way OT practices a teaching-learning process. I love the grading system. I love the way OT surprises people that they need us, the occupation and the enablement that we provide to sustain and obtain maximum performance. I just love how Occupational Therapy is unique and special all at the same time.

The closest interaction I had with an occupational therapist was during our fieldwork during our first year. I had a glimpse of the life of an occupational therapist under the pediatric section. The way they work reflects how happy they are with what they do. I can’t wait to feel the same gratitude in the future.

OT has enabled me to think more critical and observe more keenly. In fact, after our fieldwork this year, I was more observant. During the fieldwork, my partner and I observed a toddler play, and we evaluate his motor, cognitive and social skills. After that experience, I tend to observe children playing and running around malls and analyze and predict their age based on the motor skills (e.g the way they walk, run, hop and carry objects) and language skills they show. Then after guessing the age in my mind, I would politely ask the parent for the child’s age. I would be pleased with myself whenever I get the correct answer.  It may sound absurd, but every time I’m able to remember and apply what I learned in observation and living, it makes me more determined to learn more about OT. Also, OT has taught me to place myself into the shoes of others which make me realize the importance of a certain occupation to people (even if it does not hold meaning to me before). This is a great motivation to work harder so as to provide the clients the opportunity to engage in occupations and find meaning in their life. The most important experience I’ve had so far is reflection. OT has enabled me to reflect and dig deeper to my core. It has enabled me to be more open and understanding. OT has made me establish a strong sense of self-identity within myself.

“Occupation is a strong enabler of knowing one’s self.” (Hasselkus) This is my favorite OT quotation. It makes people appreciate the things they had and have, and it makes people reflect hardcore. What’s your favorite OT quotation? smile

#29 Sunday 23rd of October 2016 16:18

etalas

What OT taught me is that "you will never know what you can do unless you try" or simply EXPLORE. Moreover, it taught us that we, OTs, can make the impossible, possible through modifications and adjustments.  OTs are like superheroes!

What I love about OT is that it made learning and developing enjoyable. How? For example, in pediatrics, we develop and/or enhance skills of our clients through play. Both children and OTs enjoy playing and at the same time they are both learning. Even in other settings, clients will surely enjoy since they are the one who will choose what they want to do during the session. OT is fun!

#30 Sunday 23rd of October 2016 17:43

etalas

Same here Alyssa! I will never forget our first field work when I was assigned to observe in a pediatric clinic. That experience heightened my desire to become an OT because I really love children. I can't wait to work with them someday! smile

avaguila1 wrote:

What I love about being an OT student is that we get to spend time with kids! When we do projects, I really enjoy it especially during the times that I get to interact with kids. Also, even as early as now (in our second year), I know that someday I'll be able to help a lot of people do the occupations they love once again. It really gives me a sense of purpose and that makes every sacrifice, worth it. This encourages me to continue fighting and continue my studies in OT.

OT taught me a lot of life lessons. It taught me how to see people through what they can do and what they are good at. It allows me to see people with hope. Believing on a person is one of the best ways you can help him/her recover and OT taught me that too. There are a lot of lessons that your parents taught you that you would be able to appreciate more once you view it through our field. It makes me appreciate those lessons more and it helps me apply into my daily life.

In OT, you get to learn a lot of new things too. Thus, I know that in the days, months, years to come, OT will teach me a lot more and I look forward to each of that.

-Alyssa

#31 Wednesday 26th of October 2016 12:08

Ivanna Co

etalas wrote:

What OT taught me is that "you will never know what you can do unless you try" or simply EXPLORE. Moreover, it taught us that we, OTs, can make the impossible, possible through modifications and adjustments.  OTs are like superheroes!

What I love about OT is that it made learning and developing enjoyable. How? For example, in pediatrics, we develop and/or enhance skills of our clients through play. Both children and OTs enjoy playing and at the same time they are both learning. Even in other settings, clients will surely enjoy since they are the one who will choose what they want to do during the session. OT is fun!

Hi Gale!

I agree that both the children and the OTs learn at the same time! It probably doesn't feel like work at all if both of them are having fun. As they say, "Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

#32 Wednesday 26th of October 2016 14:15

sagacho

I will always be thankful to the person who introduced me to OT. I was able to find a profession that fits my interests, personality and advocacy. There are many reasons why I love OT. First , I love OT because it gave me a clear understanding of my purpose in life. I am here to help people in need especially the vulnerable ones. Second, I love the opportunity of being able to work with different age groups. Even though I would like to specialize in pediatrics in the future, being exposed to different age groups can give me a better understanding of the society and the environment. Third, I love how we can interplay with creativity and strategy. It's not just purely about memorizing or knowing more, you have to use your creativity and apply strategies to be able to provide the most effective and efficient intervention for your client. Fourth, I also love the use of "intervention" rather than "treatment." One of our anatomy lecturers told us, " We don't aim for normalcy, we aim for functionality." We don't see our clients' disabilities as diseases. OT is not about getting rid of the disability but more of improving and helping our clients with their situation. And i think that's more beautiful. Fifth, having love and passion as its main fuel. During our fieldwork last school year, we were able to observe children in pediatric therapy centers and we're also given the chance to see the parents' view with regards to their kids taking therapy. One parent told us, "Passion talaga ang puhunan niyo. Sana dumami pa kayong mga OT (Passion is your investment. I hope there will be more OTs like you)." And last, I love OT because it's a profession that's not just about earning money, it's a profession that will inspire, motivate and optimize other people. And that fulfillment of being able to have that effect to other people is the greatest treasure a person can have.

I'm still an OT student right now and I know the process of being a legitimate OT is hard but I know everything will be worth it. My love for OT will prevail! (hahaha cheesy) I will fight all the challenges ahead!

Shoutout to my blockamtes here in the forum! Kapit lang guys! we can do this!

#33 Wednesday 26th of October 2016 14:30

sagacho

rfgenuino wrote:
gvyrastorza wrote:

To be completely honest, I like OT because it helps me help people by letting them be the ones who choose what makes them happy. I don't have to force habits they don't want, meds they don't want, and spend money they don't  have to for treatments they don't want. From what I've learned so far, I like OT because it lets the people I help decide what they want in the treatment (with some help from the OT, of course). I find this important here in my country, since people aren't so fond of OTs because OTs let clients make big decisions. The people here more often than not want to be told what to do, what their progress is, and what to expect without having to worry about these things at the same time. I like OT because I see it as a way to change this mentality.

I love this. I'm from a family of doctors, and it's disheartening to hear stories of professionals taking advantage of the trust of their patients and performing unnecessary surgeries or prescribing medicines that are way too expensive or ineffective with little explanation. From OT fieldwork experience, it's great to see healthcare professionals be so transparent with their clients.

It's very sad to see that sometimes the process of healing or improving for some patients sounds more depressing because of the things that they are forced to take. And considering the health care system here in the Philippines, there is a tendency that some people take advantage of other people's conditions and turn health service into business.

#34 Wednesday 26th of October 2016 14:40

sagacho

Byeul wrote:

OT brought me sensitivity and mindfulness to practically everything; it made me realize more things than what I expected to learn. This is perhaps what I've realized the most, so far. We consider various aspects with regards to treating our clients. Our profession has the opportunity to shape and be shaped by our environment. Before, I thought that I was already quite a sensitive person to notice some details. Now, OT has taught me to be more concerned with the intricacies of everyday life.

Two of our instructors here in UP Manila (that includes our facilitator for these discussions, ma'am Pau) spent some time in Sweden for their internship last year. It's really interesting and exciting whenever they share their experiences. It reminds us how different the approach can be in different places with different cultures. OT considers diversity and is a flexible profession, which makes it all the more exciting. smile

OT has taught me to appreciate the little things in life, and I think this is important for us to be reminded to pause once in a while and value the things we have and what we can do. <3

I had the same realization as yours! Sometimes we all have the tendency to be lazy in doing some of our occupations even the simplest ones like standing. OT made me realize that we should be grateful because we are capable of doing these simple things because some people find it very difficult. I became more sensitive to factors that affect a person's daily living and I became more aware of the small details that can hinder a person's functioning. We should not take small things for granted because sometimes there are the ones that majorly contribute to a person's difficult or challenging situation.

Last edited by sagacho (Wednesday 9th of November 2016 15:56)

#35 Thursday 27th of October 2016 16:03

gvyrastorza

sagacho wrote:

I will always be thankful to the person who introduced me to OT. I was able to find a profession that fits my interests, personality and advocacy. There are many reasons why I love OT. First , I love OT because it gave me a clear understanding of my purpose in life. I am here to help people in need especially the vulnerable ones. Second, I love the opportunity of being able to work with different age groups. Even though I would like to specialize in pediatrics in the future, being exposed to different age groups can give me a better understanding of the society and the environment. Third, I love how we can interplay with creativity and strategy. It's not just purely about memorizing or knowing more, you have to use your creativity and apply strategies to be able to provide the most effective and efficient intervention for your client. Fourth, I also love the use of "intervention" rather than "treatment." One of our anatomy lecturers told us, " We don't aim for normalcy, we aim for functionality." We don't see our clients' disabilities as diseases. OT is not about getting rid of the disability but more of improving and helping our clients with their situation. And i think that's more beautiful. Fifth, having love and passion as its main fuel. During our fieldwork last school year, we were able to observe children in pediatric therapy centers and we're also given the chance to see the parents' view with regards to their kids taking therapy. One parent told us, "Passion talaga ang puhunan niyo. Sana dumami pa kayong mga OT (Passion is your investment. I hope there will be more OTs like you)." And last, I love OT because it's a profession that's not just about earning money, it's a profession that will inspire, motivate and optimize other people. And that fulfillment of being able to have that effect to other people is the greatest treasure a person can have.

That's just amazing. Very few people ever find a profession that they really do love. I hope your passion for OT never fades! And I hope others will be inspired by you and the things you've said. I hope they'll get passion from your own passion for OT as well.

#36 Sunday 30th of October 2016 05:23

pgcruz4

cetalastas wrote:

Hi, everyone! I'm Cathy from the Philippines. What I like the most of being an OT is how flexible one can be. OTs have the ability to create an intervention that best suits the client’s needs. They do not follow a specific manual of what should they do rather they have a framework that is essential to guide them in their practice. In this way, they become more client-centered which I think will enable them to help the clients better. It is because every client has different capabilities and different needs.

OTs use occupations to help people. These occupations are activities that one deem as important and meaningful to his life. Since then, I give importance to activities which I love to do and when I have seen how OTs value occupations, I am more than happy to know how OTs use these occupations to improve and give quality to life.

Being an OT student, I have heard a lot of inspiring stories from our professors. Honestly, before I do not have this vivid image of what OTs do and how do they help people. However, through the help of my professors, I am driven with motivation because I have seen how marvelous OT can be for OTs can change lives for the better.

Unfortunately, I still haven’t had a chance to talk with someone who has helped by an OT. Nevertheless, I know that as I continue my journey in becoming an OT, I know that I would be given a lot of opportunities to hear stories from people whose lives have been touched and helped by an OT.

Hi Cathy!
I feel the same about being inspired by our wonderful professors. I never thought of becoming an occupational therapist when I was younger. Honestly, I never wanted to choose a pre-Med or any science related course, but here I am, trying to figure out if this is really my fate. Gladly, our professors are always there to share their experiences with us. They admitted studying this course was never easy but in the end it would be all worth it.
So far, I'm appreciating the course that I am taking. I realize there is no turning back and I should keep going. For me, occupations don't just give meaning to our lives but it is a great part of us. I will value all the things I am going to learn in our class and hope that in the future I can also share my experiences with other people.

@Pbpandaa

#37 Sunday 30th of October 2016 08:06

I like being an OT because out of all medical professions, I find our profession incredibly compassionate, highly motivational and diverse;

1) We're not a purely science-driven profession that merely focuses on various fields of science as a basis for our practice. We also focus on the various fields of art in giving out intervention.

2) The field of OT practice is incredibly diverse, as we could enter the world of medicine (rehab medicine in particular), architecture (in constructing PWD-friendly facilities) or even the corporate world (in terms of toy analysis or adaptive tool businesses). As such, we're not limited to the OT field alone.

3) We're not the type of health profession where the patient looks at us like we're some expert. We're more of the facilitators to the change that our clients want to happen, and I find that beautiful.

4) To be able to see your client do the things that they weren't able to do before and once again do the things that they love, is incredibly fulfilling for me as a future OT.

That among many other reasons (I'd love to write a blog on why I love the OT profession one day!)

#38 Sunday 30th of October 2016 15:48

What I like about occupational therapy is that there is always a concept to learn, a story to hear, and a lesson to live by.  Among these lessons that I got to know, I consider occupational balance as the most valuable to me especially as a college student. Aside from the seemingly never ending learning modules and exams (note the plurality), I am currently holding four executive positions in my organizations which equates to four times the paperwork I have to do. Not to mention that I am striving every time to find the perfect balance between my busy schedule while maintaining a social life. Sometimes, it can be difficult to juggle all my responsibilities and remember to take a breath, let alone factor in personal time, but as a future occupational therapist, I am constantly reminded of the importance of maintaining occupational balance.

I have met and conversed with a lot of Filipino occupational therapists who I find really inspiring, but in my opinion, the one that tops them all, although I still haven’t met him/her is the colleague of one of my professors who according to her is both a practicing occupational therapist and a pilot (which is all I ever wanted to be as you may have read in my previous post).

From my fieldwork experience in a pediatrics clinic during my first year, I was able to observe first hand the magic that an occupational therapist can bring to a person’s life. As the clients in the clinic I observed are mostly school-age children, the main role of the occupational therapist that I observed is to prepare the child for school; thus, she makes use of pre-reading, pre-writing, and pre-math activities as part of the treatment. Until now, I can still remember her sharing with me how rewarding it feels to see her client now able to write all the letters of the alphabet when she cannot write a single straight line before the therapy sessions.

Through everything that I have learned and experienced in my two years of being an occupational therapy student, I began to better appreciate occupational therapy as a profession. I like that it gives me something to look forward to everyday, and I just hope I may grow to love it someday.

#39 Monday 31st of October 2016 04:20

Hi Ellen!

I cannot agree with you more when you said that occupational therapy is a very rewarding career. Although I do not have much to share yet about the actual practice as I am still halfway through my sophomore year, let me at least share with you my fieldwork experience last year.

The pediatrics clinic that I was assigned to caters occupational therapy services to mostly school-age children and only very few adults. The occupational therapists  evaluate and treat children from 2 to 3 months up to 10 years of age with a variety of diagnoses including autism related disorders, ADD/ADHD, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, and delays in fine motor and visual motor skills which directly affect their academic performance. The OT's there help children gain independence and promote development of fine motor, sensory motor, and visual motor skills that children need to function and socialize in their community environments especially school. Aside from direct client care, I also learned that they also do school visits and home health support.

As their clients are mostly school-age children, the specific long-term goal of occupational therapists in the clinic is to write/improve the written communication skills [of clients] for greater proficiency when using writing implements and/or a keyboard. They make use of pre-reading, pre-writing, and pre-math activities as part of the treatment and design other individual and group programs and activities to enhance a child’s independence through self-care like feeding and dressing, play and leisure activities, hand strengthening and coordination activities as well as neurodevelopmental techniques for children with cerebral palsy.

Through directly observing how an occupational therapy practitioner works, I became fully aware of the various important roles we play in the clinic setting and thus better appreciate occupational therapy as a profession. My drive to continue taking this career path grew because of this experience, for it made me realize how rewarding practicing the profession can be someday.

esc501 wrote:

Everyone I have spoken to who works as an occupational therapist has told me how much they have enjoyed their work and found it a really rewarding career. I suppose that would make sense giving that they are all people who have chosen to stay in the profession, but it is encouraging! :-)

From a personal point of view occupational therapy has made me think more about why I do the things I do and what they mean to me. I think about things from another point of view (an occupational one), which I didn't perhaps so much before. I really like how we are definitely helping people too. I have occupations that are so important to me. When I think about doing a job that helps other people to do things that are important to them I think, well what a brilliant job!! I'm sure the practicalities of work and organisations etc make it challenging e.g. limited resources. But the premise of the job is one I really buy in to and that's why I wanted to do it. Definitely making a positive difference to people's lives, whatever area of occupational therapy we are working in.

I'd be interested to hear other people's stories about specific things they have encountered. I'm sure there's a lot of inspiring stuff out there :-)

Last edited by spvillarama@up.edu.ph (Monday 31st of October 2016 04:29)

#40 Monday 31st of October 2016 18:18

etalas

Hi Felix! One of the reasons why I love OT is because its practice is really diverse like what you've said. The fact that we can work in different contexts made me feel that we, OTs are so important and that any area would be needing us in the near future. That feeling added a sense of purpose in me and motivated me to work harder.

I'll be waiting for your blog! Hoping that "one day" comes sooner.

Felix Isaac Tiburcio wrote:

I like being an OT because out of all medical professions, I find our profession incredibly compassionate, highly motivational and diverse;

1) We're not a purely science-driven profession that merely focuses on various fields of science as a basis for our practice. We also focus on the various fields of art in giving out intervention.

2) The field of OT practice is incredibly diverse, as we could enter the world of medicine (rehab medicine in particular), architecture (in constructing PWD-friendly facilities) or even the corporate world (in terms of toy analysis or adaptive tool businesses). As such, we're not limited to the OT field alone.

3) We're not the type of health profession where the patient looks at us like we're some expert. We're more of the facilitators to the change that our clients want to happen, and I find that beautiful.

4) To be able to see your client do the things that they weren't able to do before and once again do the things that they love, is incredibly fulfilling for me as a future OT.

That among many other reasons (I'd love to write a blog on why I love the OT profession one day!)

#41 Monday 14th of November 2016 11:35

Franzes Dizon

Hi guys, Franzes here!

After some time of dealing with major subjects, I realized that OT may look so easy for other people once we explain how an OT works, it really isn't. It makes the simple thing worth studying and tracking. How people function from daily life to how they ought to function once they experience an impairment or difficulty. I like how it makes life worth living, or as what they say : adding life to years. As a future OT, I would aim for functionality and not for perfection or mastery as what my professors keep on telling us. It may look easy on how we analyze the steps on doing daily activities but once you're in need, you will realize how some people are having a difficult time going back to the good old life of doing everything without the help of anything or anyone. I like how this course makes me appreciate every move and thing I make every second of my life, how it teaches people to appreciate what they have and to keep in mind that no matter what disability you have, you're free to function properly and perfectly as you are.

Hoping to hear more from all of you!!

#42 Monday 14th of November 2016 11:42

Franzes Dizon

esc501 wrote:

Everyone I have spoken to who works as an occupational therapist has told me how much they have enjoyed their work and found it a really rewarding career. I suppose that would make sense giving that they are all people who have chosen to stay in the profession, but it is encouraging! :-)

From a personal point of view occupational therapy has made me think more about why I do the things I do and what they mean to me. I think about things from another point of view (an occupational one), which I didn't perhaps so much before. I really like how we are definitely helping people too. I have occupations that are so important to me. When I think about doing a job that helps other people to do things that are important to them I think, well what a brilliant job!! I'm sure the practicalities of work and organisations etc make it challenging e.g. limited resources. But the premise of the job is one I really buy in to and that's why I wanted to do it. Definitely making a positive difference to people's lives, whatever area of occupational therapy we are working in.

I'd be interested to hear other people's stories about specific things they have encountered. I'm sure there's a lot of inspiring stuff out there :-)

Hi!

I've met an OT once  but sadly he'll be taking medicine proper soon, so as of now the only OTs I know are my professors and they kept us functioning despite the hard subjects we're taking. Considering that I have plans of pursuing medicine after completing this degree, I really am happy about how this course is giving me multiple responsibilities and like you I love how this course helps people. I like how it aims for PWD inclusion and how it makes their lives easier. Hoping that you would help other people to appreciate what OTs do just like other people influences you.

#43 Monday 14th of November 2016 13:10

actan7

What I like about OT is how it's such an encouraging and empowering profession. It's not only empowering to those in the profession, but it empowers the clients and patients that they affect. It encourages both the professional and the patient to choose for themselves. It's a profession that uniquely treats people with the use of meaningful activities or occupations.

I think one topic that really made its mark on me was the topic of Occupational Balance. It really struck a chord with me, how important it is to find that balance between all the occupations that you do. Ever since that topic, I've made it my personal mission to find that balance for myself. I want to know how I can achieve this balance in order to avoid the dreaded burn out and also maybe because I think this is what can bring me peace.

#44 Monday 14th of November 2016 13:40

jbomamos

Hello! I'm Jalan Omamos from University of the Philippines-Manila.

One of the things I have learned and found interested in was about the difference between NDT and SI.  Because of the topic we had, I was more pumped to continue studying OT and specialized Mental Health.

I have one of the most incredible mentor, who I know will be a good OT someday. Her name is Karissa. I feel like we were attached immediately because of our similar passion to become OTs that would help clients competitively and joyfully.

I just love the bond we have as OTs of the world! smile

#45 Monday 14th of November 2016 13:43

jbomamos

kyla.rocafort wrote:

I agree with you Kyla! A profession with diversity makes it more competitive and fulfilling! smile

#46 Monday 14th of November 2016 13:48

Sam Agura

One of the things I've come to appreciate about OT is that it looks beyond what most people perceive as disabilities. Instead, we focus on how to best help people adapt and/or go around their limitations. OT is medical profession that isn't as clinical as other fields of medicine because we aim to improve people's quality of life. I've also come to appreciate that I now see day to day activities in new light and see the effort and motions and we go through to achieve them. It has made me more appreciative of the capabilities each and everyone of us has. It's a truly heartwarming and fulfilling feeling knowing that someday, through OT, I may be able to help people overcome their difficulties and help them maximize their full potential.

#47 Tuesday 15th of November 2016 14:11

sdarguson

Sam Agura wrote:

One of the things I've come to appreciate about OT is that it looks beyond what most people perceive as disabilities. Instead, we focus on how to best help people adapt and/or go around their limitations. OT is medical profession that isn't as clinical as other fields of medicine because we aim to improve people's quality of life. I've also come to appreciate that I now see day to day activities in new light and see the effort and motions and we go through to achieve them. It has made me more appreciative of the capabilities each and everyone of us has. It's a truly heartwarming and fulfilling feeling knowing that someday, through OT, I may be able to help people overcome their difficulties and help them maximize their full potential.

Hi Sam!
I only learned of OT as a profession when I was already in high school. But I grew fascinated with it, especially since my cousin had autism and I accompanied him and my aunt to the clinic when they needed me. I grew amazed by how different OT is from other practices: they use such unorthodox ways in order to achieve a goal their client want, and i think that's truly wonderful and unique!
I hope to become a good professional someday.

#48 Tuesday 15th of November 2016 15:31

RichardIrvin

Occupational therapy is one of the only professions that truly looks at a person in a holistic way. We, as OTs, have the skills to help the person in all aspects of his or her life—emotionally, spiritually—as we address all the roles that are affected by whatever their areas of difficulty may be. Occupational therapists are able to choose their environment, clientele, and specialty throughout their career. Occupational therapy helps various people, ranging from infants to the elderly, with mental, physical, and emotional disabilities. Because OTs can work with such a variety of patients, this field offers several unique qualities.

I also love the broadness of this profession. OTs are part of a team from the NICU to Hospice and everywhere in between. We can effectively work in hospitals, school systems, clinics, assisted living facilities, nursing homes, the clients’ homes, in prisons, mental health facilities, community centers, any organization that needs assistance with being more successful in achieving their goals. There are so many aspects of occupational therapy that it is a career choice that can open so many doors for any one that has the desire to help other people and impact the world.

There are a lot of things to love about occupational therapy. Some OTs love the uniqueness of the clientele, while others love the broad scale of the job itself. One thing that is truly inspiring is that being an occupational therapist is rewarding to everyone involved. I believe that occupational therapists are more qualified than other types of therapists in the rehabilitation field to help their clients live their lives to the fullest.

#49 Tuesday 15th of November 2016 16:46

RichardIrvin

Interesting! I see you have come to love the mental health part of occupational therapy. I support you in your endeavour, my friend! As for me, I plan to work in home health services. I love being able to see children in their natural environment, and I love getting to know parents and families.

If I may ask a question, you plan to specialize in mental health, and many people here in the Philippines look down upon people with mental disabilities. Do you plan to create your own advocacy? If you are going to do this, you're giving a big help!

jbomamos wrote:

Hello! I'm Jalan Omamos from University of the Philippines-Manila.

One of the things I have learned and found interested in was about the difference between NDT and SI.  Because of the topic we had, I was more pumped to continue studying OT and specialized Mental Health.

I have one of the most incredible mentor, who I know will be a good OT someday. Her name is Karissa. I feel like we were attached immediately because of our similar passion to become OTs that would help clients competitively and joyfully.

I just love the bond we have as OTs of the world! smile

#50 Tuesday 15th of November 2016 23:32

Sam Agura

sdarguson wrote:
Sam Agura wrote:

Hi Sam!
I only learned of OT as a profession when I was already in high school. But I grew fascinated with it, especially since my cousin had autism and I accompanied him and my aunt to the clinic when they needed me. I grew amazed by how different OT is from other practices: they use such unorthodox ways in order to achieve a goal their client want, and i think that's truly wonderful and unique!
I hope to become a good professional someday.

That sounds like a really interesting experience! While I've known about OT way before college and high school, I was never really exposed to how it works or seen how OTs do their job. Your experience of seeing OTs in action in high school must have been a very enlightening experience. I was only able to observe OTs in action last year when we had our fieldwork observation. It's really astounding seeing how OTs use the most mundane objects in ways that we never really thought about. It seems to me that OTs are some of the most resourceful and creative people I know.

Board footer