You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Occupational Therapy International Online Network (OTION).

Our goal is to provide an online resource for the international occupational therapy community through this on-line forum.

You will have the opportunity to participate in discussion topics related to your practice area and interact with your international colleagues. A moderator, who will be a resource to the group, monitors each topic.

We look forward to your participation and contribution to international occupational therapy practice.

If you are new, please click here to register. If you have already registered, click here to login.

#1 Wednesday 15th of June 2016 19:19

shmays

Welcome to the OTION Student Forum

Hello and welcome to the OTION Student Forum! The launch of this site will serve as a platform to connect the thoughts, opinions, and questions of occupational therapy and occupational therapy assistant students.

My name is Chloe, and I am an M.S. Occupational Therapy student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the United States.  One of my primary OT interests lies in community mental health. I am eager to begin the conversation within our diverse group of occupational therapy students as we virtually share, learn, and build upon ideas together.

As we begin to utilize this space, please share where you attend school, a little bit about your self, and how you envision this forum serving our OT student population best.

Wherever you might be on your educational journey, I wish you all the best!

Chloe

#2 Thursday 16th of June 2016 21:12

Meg

Re: Welcome to the OTION Student Forum

Hi!

I'm Meg. I'm a 2nd year student at a B.S./M.S. Occupational Therapy program at Long Island University in the United States. I have a variety of hobbies and skills that I hope will be useful during OT treatment. I hope to learn a lot from everyone's experiences and ideas especially those from different countries. I look forward to chatting with you all!

- Meg

#3 Tuesday 21st of June 2016 12:48

esc501

Hello

I'm Ellen. I'm a first year student on the MSc course at Leeds Beckett University in England. I have had a carer change from Teaching, and have just started my first placement on my course so am looking forward to learning about the experiences of other students and offering anything I can to help. Would be interesting to see how O.T works in other countries too :-)

#4 Tuesday 21st of June 2016 17:49

Gabi

Hello,

My name is Gabi. I'm a student at the B.S. OT program in NL and courious about this forum - and, as I realize right now - quite out of practice writing in english :-( - maybe I'll get better again here :-)

#5 Thursday 23rd of June 2016 00:49

Hey all! I am finishing up the last Level II Fieldwork of my masters at UNC-Chapel Hill. I'm currently at the TEACCH autism clinic in Asheville, which has been a fascinating experience. Hoping to head back to the Raleigh-Durham area after this summer to take the boards and find a job out there!

#6 Thursday 23rd of June 2016 14:00

JosieBrown

Hello Everyone,

I'm Josie a second year (going to go into my final year in Septmeber) BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy Student in England.

Hopefully we can use this as a platform to see how different/similar OT courses are around the world.

Am I correct in thinking that in USA they do not have a Bachelors of Science Degree for OT?

Josie smile

#7 Thursday 23rd of June 2016 15:40

shmays

Hey everyone, thanks for the messages! We're off to a great start with the OTION student forum.

Josie -- To answer your question, the current entry educational level for OTs in the U.S. is a Masters. However, many current OTs that were educated prior to the shift in requirements are practicing with a Bachelors degree. Some universities are also transitioning to entry level OTD (doctorate) programs. For more info on the requirements, I recommend checking out some of the AOTA resources (http://www.aota.org/Education-Careers/).

Let me know if I can help in any way!

~ Chloe

#8 Friday 24th of June 2016 17:20

Hello everyone
My name is Kadra, I'm a student in VIA University College, Denmark.
I am in my last year as OT student and will graduate at the end of January next year. I have seen how occupational therapy is used in different areas in the danish healthcare system, I find the work with neurological patients very interesting.
I am looking forward to learning more about how OT is used in different countries. smile

#9 Saturday 2nd of July 2016 16:42

stephtobes

Hi everyone.. smile

I'm currently taking up my last year of Masters in OT here in Cebu Doctors University in the Philippines.Aside from my Masters, I am also teaching BS OT for the undergraduates in Velez College. I joined this forum to learn more about the OT practices of different places. It is a pleasure meeting (virtually) OTs all over the globe.. smile

Steph

#10 Saturday 2nd of July 2016 18:34

SarahB

Hi all,

I'm Sarah.  I've just completed the first year of a BSc at Northumbria university in the UK.  I'm a mature student, going back to uni last year after having quite a few years at home with my kids.  I attended COT conference this week and heard about this forum.  Looking forward to chatting with you all and making new international connections.

#11 Saturday 9th of July 2016 01:51

Suziharris

Hi everyone, I'm Suzi and am a mature aged 2nd year student at Monash Uni in Melbourne, Australia. Currently interested in working with the marginalised somehow. Also interested to know if the OT degree is 3 years in the UK, Josie? I emigrated to Australia from England 10 years ago and it's a 4 year degree here. Am hoping this forum will be a really valuable tool for us all smile

Last edited by Suziharris (Saturday 9th of July 2016 01:53)

#12 Saturday 9th of July 2016 19:37

Hi!
My name is Sonja and I am currently studying B. Sc OT at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg,  South Africa. I just finished my first semester and cannot wait for the seven that follow.
Currently I am very interested in the Mental Health aspect of OT, but being very new I am excited to hear everyones' opinions on the different branches!
It is so exciting to be part of this international mix of future OTs. I hope to learn a lot from this forum.

Last edited by 1379597 (Monday 11th of July 2016 22:57)

#13 Wednesday 13th of July 2016 11:54

Vimal Vinod

Hi everyone..
                       I'm Vimal.Vinod.V ; Im pursuing Bachelor of Occupational therapy Program at Manipal University,India.
I've completed my second year. Currently I'm interested to learn more about Neuro Rehabilitation & also Mental Health rehab smile
I'm sure that this platform will help all the dedicated OT students to exchange ideas and gain knowledge

#14 Tuesday 19th of July 2016 05:10

emedina67

Hi everyone!

My name is Elaine and I am a first year student at California State University Dominguez Hills. I'm new to forums, but I joined to learn about practicing OT in different cultures and am interested in traveling abroad for my fieldwork session next year smile
I'm also excited to gain different perspectives from other international students!

#15 Thursday 21st of July 2016 05:52

Julia.Parini

Hello! What a fabulous idea giving students from around the world this opportunity to network together!  Similar to SarahB, I have undertaken the path of OT as a career change. I am in my second year of a five years Masters program with Flinders University in Adelaide, South Australia. The course is structured as a double degree - the first three years as a foundation program known as the Bachelor of Health Sciences (Principles of Occupational Therapy) with the Masters program being a further two years. Having come from the human services industry where professional networks are important in getting the job done, I was surprised to find that in my Uni, no formal OT student association or network had been established. Thus, one of my current interests is start an OT student network with view to establishing formal links with our state association. I am really keen to hear from you about  whether an OT student association exists in your Uni and if so, a few details about how its working and what tends to be on the agenda. Look forward to corresponding with you all! Kindest regards, Julia

#16 Friday 22nd of July 2016 00:46

OT512016

Hello,
My name is Willette Wiley and I am a mature aged OTA student at Pitt Community College in Greenville,NC, who is also making a career change. I have finished my last official classroom work and will begin my level ll fieldwork August 18th. I graduate in December 2016! I joined this forum because I just finished  a research project on Asian countries and the OT profession, and it really sparked my interest to know more about the OT practice in other countries.

I would like to know if any other countries license OTA's or OT's only? If  they do license OTA's what type of degree do they have to receive?

Last edited by OT512016 (Friday 22nd of July 2016 00:49)

#17 Wednesday 3rd of August 2016 11:30

JonathanCLH

Kia Ora (Hello in Maori, language of the indigenous people of New Zealand),

My name is Jonathan and I am a year 2 OT students at Auckland University of Technology(AUT) in New Zealand. I am new to the forum, really excited to see people posting stuff about occupational therapy here! I am sure students/OTs/educators will gain so much from this international knowledge exchange platform!

Cheers,
Jonathan

#18 Thursday 4th of August 2016 07:18

Knormile

Hi Everyone, I am a 4th year (2nd year Master's) student at La Trobe University in  Melbourne, Australia. I am from the US and wanting to work back there at some point! I am excited about this forum because I know I will need to work through a lot of steps to get my degree approved in the States and hoping to find others in the similar situation. In the meantime I am interested in the area of mental health here in Australia (and the UK)!

Katie

#19 Thursday 4th of August 2016 14:58

ReneeCahinde

Hi everyone,

I'm Renee, and I'm a 3rd year BS Occupational Therapy student from University of the Philippines- Manila. I can't wait to hear (or read) about everyone's stories, especially  experiences as OT students. I'm also interested on knowing the similarities and differences of OT student and professional life, and health care beliefs and practices across different regions and cultures.

#20 Friday 5th of August 2016 22:52

Regina

Hello everyone,

I'm Regina! I'm currently heading into my fourth and final year in the BSc. Medical Rehabilitation Program: Occupational Therapy at the University of Guyana, in Guyana, South America smile . This is presently a new field of therapy being introduced here in Guyana. Physiotherapy is much more popular here at present. We have no OT therapists stationed permanently in Guyana except for those volunteers from the American Peace Core. These volunteers are the ones providing lectures and resources as well to the students that are pursuing a career in OT. In fact it was my lecturer that told us about "otion". So I am excited to be here and do hope to learn a lot more from you fellow OT colleagues. All the best to all of you too in your studies.

#21 Monday 8th of August 2016 02:58

shmays

Hello again!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories and enthusiasm for this new platform! When you have new ideas, questions, or comments, feel free to start a new topic thread so that other members can easily navigate this sub-forum and respond. If I begin to notice certain trends or topics coming up, I'll begin to post them on new conversation threads too. Let's continue to spread the word about this resource! 

~Chloe

#22 Monday 15th of August 2016 01:56

lalida

Hello everyone!

My name is Laikien. I am currently in my 2nd and final year of my Masters of Occupational Therapy at La Trobe University located in Melbourne, VIC, Australia. I am an American who has chosen to study abroad and will be going through the necessary steps to get registered back home; however, I am planning to work in Australia for a bit to gain some valuable experience here.

This is such a great idea to have students from all over be able to connect and network with other OT students! I am absolutely in love with occupational therapy and cannot wait to join the field!

Laikien

#23 Friday 19th of August 2016 04:39

pgvmartinez

Hi all! I am Pauline Martinez, a faculty member of the Department of Occupational Therapy in the University of the Philippines Manila. Right now, I am the course coordinator of OT 122: Occupational Therapy Theory.

For our class learning activity, we are planning to launch an online forum using OTION (otion.wfot.org) for our students to gain different perspectives from other local and international OT students about their experiences/views on their OT Student role. We would like to open a facilitated sharing of stories and experiences so we can help the students understand and value the importance of occupations and the interplay of the PEO factors.

However, one anticipated problem with this activity will be the few number of responses from students. It will be good if one or more schools can collaborate with us and encourage (or require) their students to join. This can be a big help to further enrich the exchange of ideas.

For further details, you are more than welcome to email me: pvmartinez@up.edu.ph.   
For your educators: Hope we can collaborate and help our students appreciate a global context of the OT student role! smile
For students: We can connect through your OT Student societies/assembly/groups! Hope I can hear some of you reply on this thread and express their interest in participating!

#24 Friday 19th of August 2016 16:13

NDYOWAAWE

Hi
i would like to assure you that concerning here in Africa i will be able to collaborate with you and help you in that like mobilising students. i have already done that. because i was able to make connections throughout Africa after the OTARG congress last year here in Uganda, now we have students from almost all countries in Africa with Occupational therapy programs.we have a whats app group where we discuss about OT case studies and any other clinical cases students get on wards and placements. I later developed an idea of writing an OT book so other students volunteered and we have so far developed the table of contents, we are entering a phase of writing articles for the book. i hope its going to be the First OT book to be written by students i qualified in JULY but i will be able to help you.

best regards
Ndyowaawe from Uganda

#25 Sunday 21st of August 2016 00:51

jbor9701

Hi everyone!
My name is Jacinta, I'm almost finished my Bach Applied Science (Occupational Therapy) (Hons) at the University of Sydney, Australia.
I'm really interested in the role OTs can have in community development, especially on a world stage so hearing all these stories is really lovely!! (And a great way to procrastinate!!)
My thesis is about school readiness (aka that transitional period into primary school) in rural Aboriginal communities -so if any one has any inquiries about that particular area feel free to pick my brains about it! 

Happy Studying smile

Board footer