You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Occupational Therapy International Online Network (OTION).

Our goal is to provide an online resource for the international occupational therapy community through this on-line forum.

You will have the opportunity to participate in discussion topics related to your practice area and interact with your international colleagues. A moderator, who will be a resource to the group, monitors each topic.

We look forward to your participation and contribution to international occupational therapy practice.

If you are new, please click here to register. If you have already registered, click here to login.

#1 Tuesday 2nd of August 2016 10:13

GemmaOTPhD

Non-Traditional/ Emerging Role Occupational Therapy Services

Hi,

I am trying to identify Occupational Therapy services around the world that would be deemed non-traditional/ role emerging.  There appears to be a great deal written about student placements in role emerging settings but I am struggling to find anything that refers to qualified Occupational Therapists working in such environments.

I would be really interested to hear from anyone who is employed in this type of practice or anyone who could signpost me to such services.  I am interested in gaining an understanding from around the world, not just here in the UK.

Many Thanks

Gemma Wells

#2 Friday 12th of August 2016 14:21

Leani Kemp

Re: Non-Traditional/ Emerging Role Occupational Therapy Services

Hey Gemma,

Shoe I was trying to think of weird and wonderful things, but all that came to mind was African Drumming that is taking the psychiatric OT world by storm. It is showing amazing results and more research is being done on it.

Will think of some more things!

goodluck,

Leani (from South Africa)

#3 Wednesday 7th of September 2016 09:03

KosovaOT

Hello Gemma, I am in Kosovo. 80% of my student's placement are in role emerging areas because OT is just developing here. Would be happy to answer any questions you may have.   Di

#4 Sunday 13th of November 2016 12:22

Deaconess

Yes, Di, please share more about emerging roles OT's are taking in Kosovo.  Are they engaged in post-traumatic mental health? community rebuilding? Public health? The sky is really the limit, so it would be nice to have some specifics.  As OT itself is emerging, are you at the point of having assessments and measuring tools of a clients needs and barriers and treatment protocols that may run more along community and social needs for actualization?

#5 Sunday 27th of November 2016 12:44

GemmaOTPhD wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to identify Occupational Therapy services around the world that would be deemed non-traditional/ role emerging.  There appears to be a great deal written about student placements in role emerging settings but I am struggling to find anything that refers to qualified Occupational Therapists working in such environments.

I would be really interested to hear from anyone who is employed in this type of practice or anyone who could signpost me to such services.  I am interested in gaining an understanding from around the world, not just here in the UK.

Many Thanks

Gemma Wells

Hi Gemma,

I work with refugees and migrants who use settlement services to rebuild life in Australia.

Sometimes I wonder what about this work makes it non-traditional or role-emerging.

Is it that many settlement services don't have an occupational therapist on the team?

Is it that occupational needs that aren't secondary to a medical condition?

Is it that the work takes place in the community not in an institution?

Is it the work that is done at a community capacity building level looks so different?

Is it that settlement outcomes are impossible to achieve by professionals alone?

I do my best to have students all year round. The personal development and experience of intercultural practice is important wherever they end up practicing.

Information that may be of interest to illustrate the goals of the settlement sector: http://www.scoa.org.au/research-and-pub … s-may-2016

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Clarissa

Settlement Services Coordinator, Migrant Resource Centre. All views my own. Sporadic tweets from Tasmania @ClarissaAdriel

Board footer