You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Occupational Therapy International Online Network (OTION).

Our goal is to provide an online resource for the international occupational therapy community through this on-line forum.

You will have the opportunity to participate in discussion topics related to your practice area and interact with your international colleagues. A moderator, who will be a resource to the group, monitors each topic.

We look forward to your participation and contribution to international occupational therapy practice.

If you are new, please click here to register. If you have already registered, click here to login.

#1 Friday 10th of June 2016 14:50

TargetingTheGlobe

Welcome to " Studying in Another Country" !

Greetings to you and welcome to this forum that focuses on Studying in Another Country.

My name is Lorie. As an occupational therapist and faculty member at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, I work with student occupational therapists as they forge a learning path that includes international placements in some cases.

Together, we've discovered a lot of information and experiences that occur in the planning and implementation of an OT placement in another country.

As people who will post information, questions, and even resources in this forum, you will be able to share unique new information that you have discovered in this process, and collectively, we can help bring others on board in our discussions together. I really look forward to dynamic discussions together by way of our virtual connections!

Looking forward to getting started!

Thanks, and best wishes,
Lorie

#2 Thursday 16th of June 2016 23:35

NDYOWAAWE

Re: Welcome to " Studying in Another Country" !

Thanks very much
Nice to meet you!!!
Am Ndyowaawe Arron an OT student from Uganda.
Currently we don't have a Bsc OT program in the country.
So am looking for any possible opportunity to go out and do a Bsc Msc in OT from another country so that I can help in developing OT here and the world at large.
So if you know any Scholarship available anywhere for studying OT. I request that you can tell me.
because more OTs are needed so as to lift from a current diploma to Bsc and above

looking forward to here from you

thank you!!!!!!!

#3 Thursday 16th of June 2016 23:38

NDYOWAAWE

Best regards Ndyowaawe Arron

#4 Monday 20th of June 2016 18:08

TargetingTheGlobe

Greetings, Ndyowaawe:

So nice to meet you, too!

I am emailing my colleagues, each of whom is at a different university across the country in Canada to determine any information about scholarships for incoming OTs fro other countries interested in doing a Master of Science in OT here. I will post again when I have more information.

Are there other students on the forum who may be able to share information about this topic with Ndyowaawe from your own countries' perspectives?

Looking forward to everyone's posts!
Best wishes,
Lorie

#5 Tuesday 21st of June 2016 03:02

Hola, me llamo Anabel y soy argentina, voy a ir a estudiar a málaga y quisiera saber sobre cursos o talleres que pueda tomar allí.
Desde ya muchas gracias.
Saludos

#6 Thursday 23rd of June 2016 21:54

jossiandrea

Hi all.

I'm very interested in the information about doing a Master of Science in OT (or other Master) in Canada!! smile

Ndyowaawe: The next website (in spanish) has scholarships (graduate or master) of the colombian government for foreigners:

http://www.icetex.gov.co/dnnpro5/es-co/ … neral.aspx

Regards!

Jossi...

#7 Friday 24th of June 2016 09:37

NDYOWAAWE

Thanks
Jossie
I'm interested i Msc OT too.
here in africa as OT students fro different  countries we are working together so as to write a book

#8 Monday 27th of June 2016 00:07

Evelyn Tabilo

Hi, my name is Evelyn, I´m OT from Chile. I was working with elderly people in a day center for older people and long-term care for olders too. I´m very interested in neuroscience and occupational therapy science. Now I´m living in Copenhaguen, Denmark, looking forward some Msc and scholarships.

Thanks for the info.

#9 Monday 27th of June 2016 16:39

NDYOWAAWE

Hi
from
Chile? yo welcome. actually am interested in knowing the evel of OT in south america. Based on book disabled village children i would like to here more about Chile and south american OT students

#10 Monday 4th of July 2016 17:19

TargetingTheGlobe

Good Day, Everyone!

As mentioned, I have reached out to my Canadian counterparts at other OT university programs to see what possible programs they have that support students interested in coming to Canada for OT education.
So far, this is the response from University of Ottawa, in Ottawa, in the Province of Ontario in Canada:

"Here is the information that I have about scholarships at University of Ottawa for students from other countries.

International students studying in French at the University of Ottawa (that is the case of the Occupational Therapy program) have reduced tuition fees:

See page 8 of the brochure that can be found in English at https://international.uottawa.ca/sites/ … nal_en.pdf

or in French at  https://international.uottawa.ca/sites/ … tional.pdf

International students can also apply for University of Ottawa Scholarship, as described at under the heading “Scholarship and Bursaries for International Students” at https://www.uottawa.ca/financial-aid-aw … -bursaries   or “Bourses pour les étudiants internationnaux” at https://www.uottawa.ca/aide-financiere-bourses/bourses
For more information, interested candidate should contact the University of Ottawa Financial Aid service at pretsetbourses@uOttawa.ca

Best wishes,
Lorie

#11 Tuesday 12th of July 2016 00:27

Aujah1623

Good afternoon fellow therapist's. My name is Tae, I am a categorized as a registered travel Occupational therapist from America currently located on Alabama. I love traveling around America, my next destination is to relocate to California for 3 months. I am very interested in volunteering as an OT in another country, searching the web I came up on a website called projects abroad. Does anyone know of this website? If so, have you  traveled with the company? Also, does anyone know of other companies to volunteer for possibly short periods as of 1-2 weeks.

#12 Tuesday 12th of July 2016 21:28

TargetingTheGlobe

Good Day, Everyone:
I hope everyone is well!

I have received student scholarship information from another Canadian University OT Program,  University of Alberta:
The Pansy and George Strange Graduate Scholarship. 
This award is awarded to a student who has a bachelor degree from a recognized University in India. 
For detailed info on this award please see this link. 
https://www.ualberta.ca/graduate-studie … age?row=60

As I receive this information, I will continue to post.
Best wishes,
Lorie

#13 Tuesday 12th of July 2016 21:29

TargetingTheGlobe

I am wondering if, through these forums and postings, people are making outside connections that address their topics, questions and interests?

Your thoughts?

Best wishes,

Lorie

#14 Friday 15th of July 2016 19:36

Annalyons89

Hola, I am an Occupational Therapist working from Mexico. Occupational Therapy does not exist how it does in NZ & Australia as there are many barriers when facing the implementation of OT here. Throughout my experience being in Mexico and having the opportunity to introduce OT in Community Care setting the most prominent barrier faced is the mentality of clients towards care & nursing staff. Care/nursing staff in Mexico are not recognised as i skilled profession compared to other places in the world. If someone was to receive a career or a nurse within their home the client's expectations of quality of care is for them to do everything for them even if the person can do everything for themselves i.e. dressing/ cook/ clean etc. This is a huge issue when implementing OT as the client/nursing have a different aspect of what quality of care is. This perspective is the opposite concept to what OT is as a profession. Any advice/ strategies/ opinions etc. are most welcome.
Anna Lyons (OT)

#15 Sunday 18th of September 2016 03:03

ClaUribe

Hello colleagues!!

I'm Claudia a Mexican occupational Therapist, I am currently studying a master in Health Sciences. I am very happy to have entered in this forum and I really hope to be able to know what do my colleagues around the world.

I am interested in making a research stay in another country mainly in relation to food habits, procesos volitivos and MOHO.

Thanks and greetings to all!!

Excuse my drafting.
CLAU smile

#16 Thursday 13th of October 2016 13:41

Tingting

TargetingTheGlobe wrote:

Greetings to you and welcome to this forum that focuses on Studying in Another Country.

My name is Lorie. As an occupational therapist and faculty member at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, I work with student occupational therapists as they forge a learning path that includes international placements in some cases.

Together, we've discovered a lot of information and experiences that occur in the planning and implementation of an OT placement in another country.

As people who will post information, questions, and even resources in this forum, you will be able to share unique new information that you have discovered in this process, and collectively, we can help bring others on board in our discussions together. I really look forward to dynamic discussions together by way of our virtual connections!

Looking forward to getting started!

Thanks, and best wishes,
Lorie

hey, I am Tingting, this is my Chinese name(First name), but if you feel that's weird. you can also call me Emily, anyway that doesn't matter.
It's really a little bit late, when I see this forum. Probably, nobody will see this.... except you, Lorie

In China, we don't have this  profession : OT. I don't remember where I got the idea first, but it should be the Internet, when I am planning to go abroad to study. Currently, I am still a senior at Capital Medical University, Beijing, China, majoring in Chinese Material Medica. I hope I can go to another country to study OT. So I got a lot information in this page~

thank you guys,
ALL THE BEST.
Tingting~

#17 Thursday 17th of November 2016 21:04

glexchange

hi Everyone:

My name is Michael from Global Exchange Center,  a China-based training and consulting center focusing on healthcare, especially
on Occupational therapy and Physical Therapy.

From my experiences,  the important issue for anyone who intends to study OT in another country is how to improve
his or her intercultural understanding and adaptability. Because by nature,  Occupational therapy is a field to work with people.

Hope to share more insight and experiences with fellow members here

Michael

http://www.globalhealthcareedu86.net/

#18 Saturday 3rd of December 2016 20:26

Hi All! My name is Rachel Davis and I am applying to master-level programs in Occupational Therapy in both the United States and the UK. One of the schools I'm applying to (Brunel) is in step 1 of getting accreditation through AOTA. I am from the United States, and plan on working in the United States in the future, but I want the experience that a degree abroad will afford me. I am also planning on eventually getting my clinical doctorate or PhD in OT after I return.

What are the benefits to studying OT in another country, and is it very detrimental not studying in the country or state you are planning on working in? Anyone else been through this process before? Any tips or advice about anything to do with the move, visas, pros/cons would be appreciated!

#19 Sunday 2nd of July 2017 10:33

Hello all,

I had the opportunity to do a practice placement in India as a student. It was very valuable to my personal and professional development. The airmail correspondence to arrange the placement was a novelty, but I can't remember anything about the uni-hospital agreement.

Now as a supervisor, I have interest from international students, but the standard uni-organisation agreement doesn't fit an overseas placement re legal and insurance compliance. This is a barrier to the organisation being able to host an international student.

For anyone who has done an international placement / hosted an international placement I am interested in whether your uni-organisation agreement was the same as usual template, modified version of the usual template, or devised as a unique agreement?

It's good to find out where it's working well, and good practices to replicate!

Sincerely,
Clarissa

Settlement Services Coordinator, Migrant Resource Centre. All views my own. Sporadic tweets from Tasmania @ClarissaAdriel

Board footer