You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Occupational Therapy International Online Network (OTION).

Our goal is to provide an online resource for the international occupational therapy community through this on-line forum.

You will have the opportunity to participate in discussion topics related to your practice area and interact with your international colleagues. A moderator, who will be a resource to the group, monitors each topic.

We look forward to your participation and contribution to international occupational therapy practice.

If you are new, please click here to register. If you have already registered, click here to login.

#26 Thursday 22nd of September 2016 03:36

Meg

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

sdarguson wrote:
Meg wrote:

Wow! It seems like there are a lot of students checking in from the Philippines. My family is from Cebu, so I'm glad to see other Filipino students here!

My name is Meg, and I am an OT student from Long Island University in Brooklyn, New York. I am in my last level 1 fieldwork rotation (pediatrics), and I am loving it. In December, my class and I will be undergoing our level 2 rotations, and we're pretty nervous. We have 2 sections (day and evening), each containing around 30 students. We don't really have many opportunities to interact with the evening section, but for the most part, my class is pretty chill. My classmates and I love to share OT related news and events with each other, and we went to a lot of volunteer events. One really cool event that we did was an adapted surfing event for people who sustained traumatic brain injuries. Another was a service learning trip to Belize in Central America, which was eye opening and a great experience. It helped me decide to go into pediatrics (I'm still open to other settings though!).

Ever since I got into the OT program, I've been taking on a lot of volunteering, and it reaffirmed my decision in going into OT. It even made me more inspired and proud of this career.

I'm looking forward to having discussions with you all and reading your entries!

- Meg

Hi, Meg! Taking up OT in New York must be quite interesting. Did you grow up in the US? How are people's perception of OT over there?
I must say, the reason I actually came to the decision of taking up OT was because of volunteer experiences back in high school. It's a very satisfying feeling.

It really is interesting! I feel like there are so many opportunities in NYC that it sometimes makes me go crazy. And yes, I grew up in the US.

In my experience, it depends on who I talk to. Those in the health care field are pretty receptive to OT and generally have positive things to say, but I still find myself often explaining what OT is to the general population. I still get the "Oh, you mean like PT?" and "Oh, so you work with handwriting?" But sometimes, I find people who know about OT because they know someone who received it, and that makes me really happy.

Volunteering can be one of the most amazing experiences, and I'm glad you had the opportunity! If I may ask, what kind of volunteering experiences did you have?

#27 Thursday 22nd of September 2016 16:59

etalas

Meg wrote:

Wow! It seems like there are a lot of students checking in from the Philippines. My family is from Cebu, so I'm glad to see other Filipino students here!

My name is Meg, and I am an OT student from Long Island University in Brooklyn, New York. I am in my last level 1 fieldwork rotation (pediatrics), and I am loving it. In December, my class and I will be undergoing our level 2 rotations, and we're pretty nervous. We have 2 sections (day and evening), each containing around 30 students. We don't really have many opportunities to interact with the evening section, but for the most part, my class is pretty chill. My classmates and I love to share OT related news and events with each other, and we went to a lot of volunteer events. One really cool event that we did was an adapted surfing event for people who sustained traumatic brain injuries. Another was a service learning trip to Belize in Central America, which was eye opening and a great experience. It helped me decide to go into pediatrics (I'm still open to other settings though!).

Ever since I got into the OT program, I've been taking on a lot of volunteering, and it reaffirmed my decision in going into OT. It even made me more inspired and proud of this career.

I'm looking forward to having discussions with you all and reading your entries!

- Meg

Hi Meg! It seems like you and your classmates really love OT since you spend time together to share OT related news and events with each other. That's so cool.

I also want to say that we share the same interest regarding pediatrics. I do really love kids and I'm so lucky because the first time we had our field work, I was assigned into a pediatrics clinic and I really enjoyed that field work more than I expected. Though I'm open to other settings, it seems like pediatrics would be the perfect one for me.

Lastly, I also love volunteering.

#28 Friday 23rd of September 2016 10:01

actan7

Meg wrote:

- Meg

Wow! Your rotations sound so interesting! We don't get cool surfing events like that here in Manila but we do have community based rehabilitation which is interesting as well. Last year, our interns were sent to provinces so that they can help improve the quality of life in their community. I hope in the future years we get to be assigned in beach areas as well (lol hehe)

#29 Sunday 25th of September 2016 06:07

sagacho

Meg wrote:

- Meg

Hi Meg! We're the same ! I also want to specialize in pediatric occupational therapy but I still want to explore other areas of OT. Outreach and volunteer programs also reaffirmed my love for OT. In my high school here in the Philippines, we always have outreach programs every year. I was very exposed to vulnerable children and that's one of the many factors why I chose OT as my profession. I want to help them get through with their troubles and difficulties through occupation. I am not yet practicing OT because I am still studying but I can feel that OT will be a very fulfilling profession. Good luck on your fieldwork rotation and keep having fun! I hope you can visit the Philippines soon!

#30 Sunday 25th of September 2016 06:36

sagacho

Hi guys! I am Samantha Gacho from the University of the Philippines- Manila. I am a 2nd Year Occupational Therapy student. At first, I really don't know OT. Back when i was in high school, I was planning on taking Special Education or taking a pre-med course. I don't really have a clear vision  of what field I'll be taking. All I really wanted to do is to help other people. This passion of helping others started when I was in high school. My high school facilitates outreaches and I actively join the committees of these programs. And then that's the time I saw the reality. It was an eye-opener for me. I get to see and talk to children with disabilities, children who are abandoned and abused. OT was introduced to me by a family friend. It is the perfect course for me because jut like what I said earlier, during that time I was somewhere in between taking SPED (I want to help children with special needs) or taking a pre-med course (I want to be a developmental pediatrician). And there it is! OT is the one for me. It's everything I want but right now, my med dreams are now fading and all I want to be is to be an OT and specialize in pediatrics. I really want to show people how awesome this profession  is especially here in the Philippines. It's not a well-known profession and some people doesn't even know that such profession exists. OT students here in the Philippines are taking one step at time in educating and informing people about Occupational Therapy.

I hope I can hear and read more from you guys! I can't wait to see more of your posts and stories!

#31 Sunday 25th of September 2016 06:45

sagacho

Rose Snook wrote:

Hi I'm Rose and I'm just about to start my second year at Coventry University. I'm a mature student and currently I work part time as a Health Care Assistant in a community hospital and a residential home for adults with learning difficulties. I love to help people and really enjoying making a small positive difference in someone's life. I hope to be able to make a bigger contibution when I qualify. I love the holistic whole person perspective that an Occupational therapist uses to support thier client.

Hi Rose I am Sam! That's the best thing about OT! I love the difference that it can give to a person. It may be a little change for some but that's the point right? Big changes start from little changes. I hope i can hear more from you!

Last edited by sagacho (Sunday 25th of September 2016 06:45)

#32 Sunday 25th of September 2016 09:31

pgcruz4

Hi! My name is Phoebe Cruz and I am a second year student from UP Manila.

Back then, I never had the tiniest clue of what occupational therapy is or what it does. Well, not until my sister, who is now a working speech pathologist, told me about it. She used to ask me a lot of questions which I found really odd because they seemed too childish. I told her it was silly to ask me, a high school student, questions like, ”How does a bee sound?”,” What are the steps in brushing your teeth?”,”Which do you prefer, Apple or strawberry?” But after that, she explained to me why those questions were not meant only for kids, but it is also an assessment of how an adolescent like me would respond to such problems. I was really appalled with everything she taught me. I realized that even though a therapist’s work looked simple, it is actually not. I learned that one needs certain skills to become a laudable therapist.

My sister also told me a lot about her co-worker OTs, of what they do and how they deal with their clients. She said I would fit the job because of my great love for children and I get to help other people while enjoying their company.

During the college entrance examinations, though, I still wrote BS Psychology as my first choice while BS OT as the second one. Back then, I still had a dream of becoming a psychiatrist. But, as if everything was made by fate, I shockingly got into the BS OT program instead. I knew being an OT would also be dealing with human behaviours and I am happy as that was my favourite. And now, I am thinking being an OT is not that bad after all. I’m starting to appreciate and love it more. I hope in the future, I would do my job as an occupational therapist correctly. I also wish I could establish a clinic with my siblings.

Being an OT student needs a lot of patience and perseverance. I know there are still a lot of challenges ahead of me but for now, if this is what fate leads me to be, I am not to back away.

Last edited by pgcruz4 (Sunday 25th of September 2016 09:32)

@Pbpandaa

#33 Sunday 25th of September 2016 12:33

pgcruz4

Meg wrote:

- Meg

Hi Meg! I'm Phoebe! Wow, I wish that someday I could also go to different places to do volunteering. It must be really fulfilling. I also want to go into pediatrics! It is one of the reasons why I chose to become an OT. Care to share more experiences about your volunteering works? I am interested to know more of your stories!

Last edited by pgcruz4 (Sunday 25th of September 2016 12:35)

@Pbpandaa

#34 Sunday 25th of September 2016 14:16

Franzes Dizon

Hi! I'm Franzes Dizon, an Occupational Therapy student in the University of the Philippines Manila.

The only thing I know about OT is that it is a pre-med course, that's why I chose to pursue it as my college degree. The dream IS to be a doctor, but with the things I know about the profession, I'm starting to think of exploring the world of OT before entering medicine (if ever I still want to by that time). I've also considered shifting into another field, a completely different field, but something about this course keeps me from doing it. It could be the fun of helping others or the opportunities waiting once I graduate from this degree. Considering the current status of Occupational Therapists in the Philippines, many have considered working for other countries, that's one thing my professors keep on telling us: work for the country. Filipinos are not much aware of the importance of our profession, unlike in other countries wherein OTs are highly regarded.

When we had our fieldwork last year, I was assigned to observe in pediatrics area and it was a really fun experience I must say. The patience they have was unbelievable, some kids just cried the whole session yet the therapist still tried to carry out their activity. I know that I still have tons of things to learn, especially the patience part before engaging in those kinds of work and I'll absolutely continue this course despite the high level of difficulty and stress it gives me.

Hope to hear more from you guys!!

#35 Sunday 25th of September 2016 15:39

Franzes Dizon

Rose Snook wrote:

Hi I'm Rose and I'm just about to start my second year at Coventry University. I'm a mature student and currently I work part time as a Health Care Assistant in a community hospital and a residential home for adults with learning difficulties. I love to help people and really enjoying making a small positive difference in someone's life. I hope to be able to make a bigger contibution when I qualify. I love the holistic whole person perspective that an Occupational therapist uses to support thier client.

Hi Rose, I'm Franzes.

That's what I also like about occupational therapy, they help people improve their abilities and even add color to their lives. We also get to meet people with different outlooks in life, different beliefs and set of values wherein we, as therapists should adjust to. I do love seeing people grow and learn how to appreciate what they have, even the simple ones.

Hope to hear from you soon about your experience in that community hospital.

Last edited by Franzes Dizon (Sunday 25th of September 2016 15:39)

#36 Monday 26th of September 2016 04:07

Hi Cathy! It's nice to know that your mom is also a nurse. My mom is a registered nurse and is currently studying for NCLEX, based in USA. When I was young, I thought that I'd be a nurse too, but I'm happier and feeling more fulfilled now taking BS-OT.

I also agree with you that the professors at UPM CAMP are very competent. smile

cetalastas wrote:

Hi there! This is Cathy Talastas from the Philippines. I am currently in my 2nd year of studying the course that I never knew that I would love, Occupational Therapy.

Since I was young, I have a goal, which is to help others. This was strengthened when I always see my mom, who is a nurse, taking good care of her patients. With that, my life has always been directed to achieve that goal. So, I took Occupational Therapy as my course because I have seen how wonderfully OTs can change people’s lives. Also, in the Philippines, the number of OTs are remarkably low; thus, a lot of people who are in need of an OT service fail to experience it. With that, I want to help them and give them the service so that I can be a way for them to have quality in life. OTs aim to help other people to function well with their daily activities and to enable people to experience the quality of life.

Even though I am only a 2nd year, the workload that I have is bulky but with perseverance and time management, I am still able to cope with what I am expected to do. Our classrooms are very conducive to learning. The building in our college is very PWD friendly because of its layout and facilities that are accessible for PWD. Since we are only less than 30 in our batch, we have already built a strong friendship with each other. Altogether, we strive to finish everything that we have to and after surviving those tedious weeks, we also have fun and celebrate together. Our professors are very competent and they always share their OT journeys which inspire us to keep continuing what we have started.

#37 Monday 26th of September 2016 04:18

Hello everyone! I'm Nicole again, from University of the Philippines, Manila. As a 2nd year OT student, I was inspired by a professor and now I'm becoming very much interested in the field Developmental Pediatrics. I want to know more about it. Is anyone else interested in specializing as a developmental pediatrician? smile

#38 Monday 26th of September 2016 04:34

Hi Byeul! I agree with you. OT is not widely known in the Philippines so when people ask what my course is, there will always be back-up questions like "What is that?", "So can you massage me?", "Ohh is it like physical therapy?" (Yes, I become a little bit irritated when they say the second one.) And this also drives me to know more about our course to be able to explain it better and clearer to people who ask. When someone will ask me know, I believe that I can now explain better what occupational therapy is and what can OT's do. I start by teliing them what an "occupation" means. Then I tell them what an OT aims to do, the difference between PT and OT, and other examples of what we do and focus on (like fine motor skills, ADL's, etc). Now, I'm getting better reactions and responses when I explain our course. My favorite response is when a family friend told me that I should study hard to finish my studies and be an OTRP because OT's are very much needed and important for our community, that we can really help, encourage, and inspire other people, especially persons with disabilities smile

Byeul wrote:

Hi, everyone! I'm Byeul Kim, a second year OT student in the University of the Philippines Manila.

Before entering college, I would here the adults say to pursue something you like in order to love what you'd do in life. I really didn't know what degree to choose. I didn't have a dream course, so to speak. But I've always loved dealing with babies and playing with kids. With little background on the profession, I chose to take OT in my current university. As I go along with my degree, I grow to love how the profession enables people to live and pursue what they want to do. This keeps me going in school, despite the workload in academics. smile

Statistically speaking, OT isn't a very well-known profession in our country yet. This affects me in the sense that as a student, it can be challenging to address others on how our profession works. I'd like to say that I'm still in the process of understanding and figuring out how I can explain OT to outsiders in the best way possible. This encourages and drives me to pursue my course, to be able to fully comprehend it and contribute to sharing how it can improve lives. Forums like these are actually a great help for me and other students to better understand and acquire insights from other professionals abroad - to improve our comprehension in our field. With this, I look forward to hearing more from everyone for us to have a stronger relationship in the OT community!

#39 Monday 26th of September 2016 07:22

KawJemilyn

Hello there!
I am Jemilyn Kaw, a second year BS Occupational Therapy students in the University of the Philippines, Manila. My favorite occupations are listening to music, singing, learning new things and making new friends. (You can add me on Facebook wink )

I never heard of Occupational Therapy until filing for admission of the university entrance exam. I learned this from friends and elders who have OTs in their family. They told me that there's a field for pediatrics in OT, and an occupation relating to children, is enough reason for me to choose this course. (I love kids so much and my childhood dream and motivation is to be a pediatrician). If ever I choose to continue med school, I would go into pediatrics; but now, I doubt because I have discovered that there are so much to do with being an occupational therapist.

Here in our university, I've met many friends, including course mates and friends from different courses that are allied to our future occupation (such as Physical Therapy); although our own college is not as big as colleges from other schools, I still enjoy being inside the college building. It feels like home! You get to know all the people, you get to greet the same guard every morning and he'll surely greet you back with a smile; furthermore, you get to meet people who would gladly assist and be friends with you! Oh! We even have an honesty store on the 3rd floor wherein you pick your snack/beverage and put the exact amount on the money bank (you get the change yourself if you paid with a larger bill. Our university dignifies honor before excellence. (Honor and Excellence)

(Here's a photo of our home organization in UP Manila in our recent general assembly. It's the Society of Occupational Therapy Majors. (credits to Denzelle Amparado)

My life is not only concentrated in academics and school organization. I always make sure that I have time to help my mother, a Chinese teacher, in her school work; at the same time, I accept invitations from my old school or other well-respected elders in my Filipino-Chinese community and perform for them in various events such as Chinese New Year, Filipino-Chinese Friendship Day and others. Although I feel stressed out sometimes, I still see myself being productive and productivity makes me happy, don't we all? smile

Why OT touches my heart? Because OTs make lives better, and that's what the world needs in our present context!
Feel free to reply on my post and let's be friends! smile

Society of Occupational Therapy Majors-UP CAMP

Last edited by KawJemilyn (Monday 26th of September 2016 07:24)

#40 Monday 26th of September 2016 07:46

KawJemilyn

Hey Rachel! Nice to meet you! smile I think what makes you more beautiful is that you have a passion for helping others, and hope that we, as future OTs, can touch many people's heart by showing them that we care for them! I love to travel too but I am still waiting for my legal age so that I could book a trip and make it as a surprise for my parents, and go travel with them! If not, we could be travel buddies in the future! Haha! On the other hand, mental health is really nice! Since we started psychology subject in our general education, I had this hobby of observing people while on my way to school; I'm not a stalker but it's like you're looking at a person, observing his actions, his facial expressions and all, while entering his mind, analyze about what he might be thinking at that moment. Isn't it cool? These are some of the things which make me love OT. <3

RachelPerryPeek wrote:

Hello everyone smile
I'm Rachel and I am just starting my 2nd year at the university of Salford on the occupational therapy course. It's lovely to meet you all and can't wait to get to know everybody! I'm 24 and work Bank as a support worker for young adults and up at a centre which caters for those with learning disabilities. I have a passion for helping people (and talking to people haha) I love to travel and get to know people and I also have penpals from all over the world. I'd say my passion for Occupational Therapy probably lies in mental health... even though I probably know a lot more about learning disabilities.. my last placement in mental health rehab really captured my attention. I think I really struggle with reflection and hope I get better at this as time moves on in my career! Any advice? Well I best stop chatting! Speak soon smile

#41 Monday 26th of September 2016 07:52

KawJemilyn

Hey Nicole! My childhood dream was to become a pediatrician when I grow up; and now that I'm beginning to learn the practice of Occupational Therapy, I might dive into developmental pediatrics if I get the chance and the decision to go into med school! Now I realize what the old men say, everything is connected with one another. Isn't it cool? All the science courses that we know have certain relations to one another, and there are still courses that are not yet well-known but could surely help us in our future occupations!

Maria Nicole Sombillo wrote:

Hello everyone! I'm Nicole again, from University of the Philippines, Manila. As a 2nd year OT student, I was inspired by a professor and now I'm becoming very much interested in the field Developmental Pediatrics. I want to know more about it. Is anyone else interested in specializing as a developmental pediatrician? smile

#42 Monday 26th of September 2016 08:01

KawJemilyn

Hey Kyla! I enjoyed our fieldwork on visiting clinics also! It was so fun! I really had a fun time observing kids, writing down notes, asking the OT questions and especially, interacting with the kids! There are some stereotypes about people and kids with disabilities in our present society, some people label them as 'special' with negative meaning. Are they negatively special? Nope, they aren't right? Every child (with or without disabilities) is special; They're so special in the way that they can accidentally touch your heart with their innocence, wit, and of course, WARM HUGS <3

Hope that we can defend these children with our own advocacy and stop the stigma. (Everyone should be accepted, right?)
Hope you have a great day ahead!

kyla.rocafort wrote:

Hello, everyone! I'm Kyla Rocafort, a second year OT student in University of the Philippines-Manila. OT in our school is a 4 year course. As early as our first year, we were already introduced to an OT environment through fieldworks. We visited different clinics to have a glimpse on what an OT does. Some of us were sent to an adult section while others were brought to the pediatric section. I was assigned to the pediatric section, and I was really thankful that I was assigned there because I love interacting with children. While observing the OTs in the clinic, I remembered the time when I was teaching karate to children because we have to adjust by making the drills easier and more feasible for the children to follow and practice. I really had a meaningful experience as I was able to talk too with other OTs about their duties and challenges that they encountered. That two-day observation made me certain that I really want to be an Occupational Therapist in the future.

#43 Monday 26th of September 2016 08:28

Byeul

kyla.rocafort wrote:
Byeul wrote:

Hi, everyone! I'm Byeul Kim, a second year OT student in the University of the Philippines Manila.

Before entering college, I would here the adults say to pursue something you like in order to love what you'd do in life. I really didn't know what degree to choose. I didn't have a dream course, so to speak. But I've always loved dealing with babies and playing with kids. With little background on the profession, I chose to take OT in my current university. As I go along with my degree, I grow to love how the profession enables people to live and pursue what they want to do. This keeps me going in school, despite the workload in academics. smile

Statistically speaking, OT isn't a very well-known profession in our country yet. This affects me in the sense that as a student, it can be challenging to address others on how our profession works. I'd like to say that I'm still in the process of understanding and figuring out how I can explain OT to outsiders in the best way possible. This encourages and drives me to pursue my course, to be able to fully comprehend it and contribute to sharing how it can improve lives. Forums like these are actually a great help for me and other students to better understand and acquire insights from other professionals abroad - to improve our comprehension in our field. With this, I look forward to hearing more from everyone for us to have a stronger relationship in the OT community!

Hi, Byeul! smile I can feel your pressure before whenever someone asks you what course you'd like to take! Like you, I have no dream course as well. All I know is that I want a profession where I'll be able to interact with children. And here I am enjoying the diverse scope of OT. There's still so much to learn yes, but slowly I'm beginning to be prepared to take the rough road each day. I'm thirsty for new OT topics and perspectives, and I can't wait to make an impact on different kinds of people. smile I hope that we can both strengthen our love for OT by discussing more OT related topics. smile

Hello, Kyla! The fact that people ask about our course really does say a lot about its continuing need to be noticed as a profession. Hopefully, in a few years time, this need will be lessened which would mean that OT in our country is working its way towards becoming a well-known profession. I'm looking forward to making and sharing experiences that would touch others life even in the simplest means possible. In that way, we are able to contribute to sharing the OT knowledge and continue to enhance our skills as newbies in the field. <3

#44 Monday 26th of September 2016 08:40

Byeul

Maria Nicole Sombillo wrote:

Hi Byeul! I agree with you. OT is not widely known in the Philippines so when people ask what my course is, there will always be back-up questions like "What is that?", "So can you massage me?", "Ohh is it like physical therapy?" (Yes, I become a little bit irritated when they say the second one.) And this also drives me to know more about our course to be able to explain it better and clearer to people who ask. When someone will ask me know, I believe that I can now explain better what occupational therapy is and what can OT's do. I start by teliing them what an "occupation" means. Then I tell them what an OT aims to do, the difference between PT and OT, and other examples of what we do and focus on (like fine motor skills, ADL's, etc). Now, I'm getting better reactions and responses when I explain our course. My favorite response is when a family friend told me that I should study hard to finish my studies and be an OTRP because OT's are very much needed and important for our community, that we can really help, encourage, and inspire other people, especially persons with disabilities smile

Byeul wrote:

Hi, Chewy! Yes, it can be a bother at times when people misinterpret what OTs do; however, it's also a great feeling when someone knows what OT is, what we do and how they've witnessed its effect on someone's life. The fact that OTs here in the country are few also makes me want to pursue our degree. It would be such a great experience to contribute and affect someone's life, even in the simple daily tasks they wish to accomplish. This gives meaning to what we do and it definitely warms my heart to hear such stories. <3

#45 Monday 26th of September 2016 08:51

Byeul

Meg wrote:
sdarguson wrote:
Meg wrote:

- Meg

Hi, Meg! Taking up OT in New York must be quite interesting. Did you grow up in the US? How are people's perception of OT over there?
I must say, the reason I actually came to the decision of taking up OT was because of volunteer experiences back in high school. It's a very satisfying feeling.

It really is interesting! I feel like there are so many opportunities in NYC that it sometimes makes me go crazy. And yes, I grew up in the US.

In my experience, it depends on who I talk to. Those in the health care field are pretty receptive to OT and generally have positive things to say, but I still find myself often explaining what OT is to the general population. I still get the "Oh, you mean like PT?" and "Oh, so you work with handwriting?" But sometimes, I find people who know about OT because they know someone who received it, and that makes me really happy.

Volunteering can be one of the most amazing experiences, and I'm glad you had the opportunity! If I may ask, what kind of volunteering experiences did you have?

Hello, everyone!
Wow, it's so nice to hear such heartwarming stories from you guys. <3 it's amazing how OT is able to reach out to many, such as in volunteering.
I agree with you on the perceptions, Meg. smile Somehow there's a stereotype that OT is similar to PT, and it can be a struggle at times to let everyone know what OT really is. When someone asks me what OT is, I ask them if they know what PT  is and their answer is always a yes. Hopefully, sometime soon, there won't be a need to explain the difference of our profession from the others.
P.S. The surfing event must have been really cool. Do you mind sharing more about it? Was it actual surfing or were there some modifications? smile

Last edited by Byeul (Monday 26th of September 2016 08:51)

#46 Monday 26th of September 2016 09:04

avaguila1

Hello everyone! I am Alyssa Cyril Josef V. Aguila, a 2nd year BS OT student from UP Manila.

I learned about OT through my mother. She was the one who suggested to me to take up OT. Only that time that I was able to know that one of my cousins took up that degree and that’s how my mom learned about OT. I was actually thankful to my mom because she helped me widen my choices. The thing is, when I was deciding on what course to take, I actually don’t have any particular course that I really want. All I knew was that I wanted a course that is included in the science/health department. Also, I wanted to take up something that is different from what others usually get for a college degree. So, I considered OT as a course for college. When the college entrance exam result came out, I was accepted to my first choice which was Pharmacy. By that time, I don’t want to take up Pharmacy anymore. As you can see, I was a mess. I don’t know what I was thinking when I put Pharmacy as my first choice. During the time that the results came out, I was already decided I really wanted to take up OT, taking into more consideration that I also wanted a course different from what others usually get. Thankfully, I was able to shift to OT even before the academic year started. 

My journey on becoming an OT student was indeed like a rollercoaster. You may think that when I entered college, I already fully understand OT but the truth is up until now, sometimes, I still get confused about our role as an OT. For me, understanding OT and the nature of our profession is a continuous learning process. Each new day, I get to learn more about OT and I get to appreciate and love it more. Every time I get a glimpse on how we work as an OT and how we help other people do their occupations again, it reminds me of how we could be a powerful tool on the betterment of other people’s lives. I really think I made a good choice. I hope you feel the same way too.

#47 Monday 26th of September 2016 09:22

avaguila1

Franzes Dizon wrote:

Hi! I'm Franzes Dizon, an Occupational Therapy student in the University of the Philippines Manila.

The only thing I know about OT is that it is a pre-med course, that's why I chose to pursue it as my college degree. The dream IS to be a doctor, but with the things I know about the profession, I'm starting to think of exploring the world of OT before entering medicine (if ever I still want to by that time). I've also considered shifting into another field, a completely different field, but something about this course keeps me from doing it. It could be the fun of helping others or the opportunities waiting once I graduate from this degree. Considering the current status of Occupational Therapists in the Philippines, many have considered working for other countries, that's one thing my professors keep on telling us: work for the country. Filipinos are not much aware of the importance of our profession, unlike in other countries wherein OTs are highly regarded.

When we had our fieldwork last year, I was assigned to observe in pediatrics area and it was a really fun experience I must say. The patience they have was unbelievable, some kids just cried the whole session yet the therapist still tried to carry out their activity. I know that I still have tons of things to learn, especially the patience part before engaging in those kinds of work and I'll absolutely continue this course despite the high level of difficulty and stress it gives me.

Hope to hear more from you guys!!

Hi Frances!
I agree with you that many Filipinos are not aware of the importance of our profession, some do not even know that our profession even exists! I hope that we could do more campaigns so that many would be more aware about our field.
I was also amazed on the great patience OTs have when I was able to observe them when I also had my fieldwork. They did not give up instead they tried new ways on how they can get the kid's attention to be able to reach their goal for that session. I look forward on the coming months since I know that step by step we will get to learn things we need to become a competent OT.

#48 Monday 26th of September 2016 10:07

Hey guys smile
I'm Naja, a 27 year old OT student from the Metropolitan University in Copenhagen, Denmark.
I'm very interested in OT, and I think it's amazing how you learn to help people live a meaningful life, no matter where they're from or what they need help with.
I've been doing exchange in both Berlin, Germany, and in Parnaiba, Brazil. In October I'll start writing my thesis about OT and yoga and will be finishing my education in January 2017.
Besides studying I'm running an Instagram account (regarding me and my work as an OT), and a Facebook page. At the moment I'm preparing different posts for the Global ADHD Awareness Month, which will take place in the month of October. If any of you are interested in following it, you can find it under Naja Forchhammer on Facebook smile

If you've any questions, please feel free to ask smile

Best regards Naja.

Last edited by Naja Forchhammer OT (Monday 26th of September 2016 10:28)

#49 Monday 26th of September 2016 10:17

KawJemilyn

Hey Naja!
I'm so glad that you visited our conversation room! (Thank you for responding my Instagram messages as well)
I really love your Instagram account! It's a nice idea of relating yoga to the OT practice, it will surely help your clients in the future! Can you share about your experiences in your exchange program? It looks cool! I always wanted to try an exchange program if I have the chance to.

I'll add you on Facebook and tag me along if you have posts about ADHD, I would gladly share it with my friends.
Good luck with your thesis! Best wishes!

Naja Forchhammer OT wrote:

Hey guys smile
I'm Naja, a 27 year old OT student from the Metropolitan University in Copenhagen, Denmark.
I'm very interested in OT, and I think it's amazing how you learn to help people live a meaningful life, no matter where they're from or what they need help with.
I've been doing exchange in both Berlin, Germany, and in Parnaiba, Brazil. In October I'll start writing my thesis about OT and yoga and will be finishing my education in January 2017.
Besides studying I'm running an Instagram account (regarding me and my work as an OT), and a Facebook page. At the moment I'm preparing different posts for the Global ADHD Awareness Month, which will take place in the month of October. If any of you are interested in following it, you can find it under Naja Forchhammer on Facebook smile

Best regards Naja.

#50 Monday 26th of September 2016 10:36

KawJemilyn wrote:

Hey Naja!
I'm so glad that you visited our conversation room! (Thank you for responding my Instagram messages as well)
I really love your Instagram account! It's a nice idea of relating yoga to the OT practice, it will surely help your clients in the future! Can you share about your experiences in your exchange program? It looks cool! I always wanted to try an exchange program if I have the chance to.

I'll add you on Facebook and tag me along if you have posts about ADHD, I would gladly share it with my friends.
Good luck with your thesis! Best wishes!

Naja Forchhammer OT wrote:

Hey guys smile

Best regards Naja.

So, first I did an exchange at a university in Berlin for one semester, where I followed 1st year, 3rd year and 5th year classes. I followed up on that semester by doing 10 weeks of internship in the neuro-geriatric depart in a hospital in Berlin. Both of these experiences were very interesting, and gave me new inputs as to how to understand OT as well as different ideas on how to do interventions.
About a month ago I finished a 6 weeks internship in Brazil, where I worked at an NGO for children with special needs. It was a real contrast to what I've seen here in Germany and Denmark, and was also a very good experience. I can only recommend people to go on an exchange if it's in any way possible.

Board footer