You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Occupational Therapy International Online Network (OTION).

Our goal is to provide an online resource for the international occupational therapy community through this on-line forum.

You will have the opportunity to participate in discussion topics related to your practice area and interact with your international colleagues. A moderator, who will be a resource to the group, monitors each topic.

We look forward to your participation and contribution to international occupational therapy practice.

If you are new, please click here to register. If you have already registered, click here to login.


#26 Monday 3rd of October 2016 16:32

KawJemilyn
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hey Phoebe! Take good care of yourself! We can't afford being absent for even one day, right? Haha! I always make sure that I bring a big bottle of water to school because water is so important to health. Try taking rest in between classes, even 5 minute-nap helps restore energy!

I bet another struggle of being in the urban is transportation, especially when we commute. We always hope that our dismissals wouldn't be at rush hour or else we would literally cry waiting for the next transit train to come and bring us home. Studies have shown that commuting takes up a larger percentage in the stress factor of students who commute. I agree with this because I more stressed in commuting than in doing my tasks in academics.

Well, as future Occupational Therapists, we need to find ways in handling our own stress and stay positive just like how we will find interventions in the future for our clients. Here's a simple tip from your fellow commuter: I don't stay late after class, unless other prior commitments, so that I could catch up the early transit home!

We can do this! Hope to hear from you! Take care!

- Jem




pgcruz4 wrote:

Hi! I’m Phoebe Cruz from the University of the Philippines Manila.

As a college student I expected that there would be loads of requirements, assignments, examinations, or things simply known as stress. Stress is not a foreign word to me especially when I entered university. Stress has always been a part of my life. It’s not uncommon to us students; even so, I think it’s unhealthy. I’m already in my second year and I realize now how important it is take care of my health. I used to be a very active person; I do physical activities with ease. Today, I find it difficult to move my body ardently because now I get tired easily. I cannot afford to sleep early at night because I need to finish my requirements. I travel far every day and it gives additional toil in my body. I never get the chance to eat healthy food since there are only fast foods around the university. I try to do exercises and even dance, but I feel like my body would give up whenever I do them. The doctor said that my immune system went down. Now, I get sick easily when I get poured down by little rain. Sometimes, I feel like vomiting while in class, and the previous week, my mouth had mouth sores and I had sore throat, I really had a hard time eating.

I know how important the requirements and exams are in school, but I don’t think it is right to sacrifice our health just so we can finish our academic responsibilities. Now, I learned that we, especially students, need to know how to manage our time and balance our tasks. If we wanted to have both good grades and a healthy body, we need to use our time wisely.

Even if I don’t join in a lot of orgs, I still find it very helpful for me to have a good time with my fellow blockmates, my second family. It wasn’t bad for me to have fun with them because they keep me sane.

Occupational therapists should know how significant balance is in our lives. I realized how I should not just be aware of this fact but I also have to take this into heart.  If I wanted to become a prolific OT in the future, I need to give utmost importance to the health and well-being of a person.

Offline

#27 Monday 3rd of October 2016 16:59

KawJemilyn
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hello there!

These issues are interesting and controversial at present. I think I can share with you the things that I know with the said topics.

In the Philippines, majority occupational therapists are predominantly in Pediatrics; but in our college, our professors encourage us to divulge into different fields under occupational therapy or even those interdisciplinary with occupational therapy and occupational science. They believe that divulging into different interdisciplinary studies is a good way in improving the occupational therapy per se.

Another issue in our country (related to OT) is the inclusion of occupational therapy services in the PhilHealth coverage. PhilHealth is the national health insurance program in the Philippines which can be accessed by all Filipinos. This program aids Filipinos to access in different health services with financial assistance depending on their socioeconomic status; moreover, it is also responsible in putting up different clinics and insurances in different community settings all over Philippines. With what we have learned, OT advocates are amending the Republic Act 9241 to include occupational therapy services in the PhilHealth coverage since people with disabilities of lower socioeconomic status couldn't afford occupational therapy service.

Lastly, our main problem in the Philippines right now is not mainly on diversity but on the scarce population of occupational therapists present in the country. At present, the ratio of occupational therapists over the total population in the Philippines is 0.3:10,000. Only 3 OTs per 100,000 people who may or may not need service from OTs. Given that the Philippines is a beautiful archipelago with more than 7,000 islands, many islands can't reach for OT services since there are no occupational therapists present in their community.

As OTs, we not only have a hard time explaining to people what OT is, but we also need to study and discover different solutions to the national and even, individual problems that we are experiencing right now.


We can do this! Feel free to ask and comment about my thoughts!

- Jem



shmays wrote:

Hi Pauline! Thanks for continuing student topic threads. One of the more challenging and rewarding aspects of my program at the moment is diversity. In the US, OT is not a diverse profession (e.g. racially, by gender). Classmates and I are currently in challenging discourse on how demographics within our program and profession affect the research produced, the work we do, and the people we serve. We're working on diversity and health equity task initiatives at the moment, but I would love to hear how other OT programs across the globe are tackling issues of diversity, inclusion, and health equity.

Offline

#28 Tuesday 4th of October 2016 11:42

K.V.Rivera
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi guys it’s me, Keith!

Occupational therapy here in the Philippines is still a growing child. It has a lot potential to one day help a lot of people, but right now, it can only do so much. Studies here found that there are around 0.3 Occupational therapists for every 10,000 Filipinos. This may be due to the fact that many others don’t really know much about the profession. I myself only learned so much because I have classes on it. I couldn’t tell you how many times I had to explain to my family that the “occupation” in Occupational therapy did not automatically mean work, and that occupation could be anything that we find meaning in that fills our time. And while I love the fact that I could spread as little awareness that I can, I always have the feeling that I could, and should, do more.

I think that I wouldn’t be too far off to assume that a lot of college students from all over the world experience a lot of trouble during college years. I find that my main issue would be managing my time wisely for my subjects and using what little time I have left for leisure, not doing it the other way round. I suffer from a very common syndrome among student called “procrastination.” There are days when there are no assignments and I would just spend the time surfing the net. I then cram everything at the last second, producing a par output at best. Occupational balance is something taught to us and it’s really ironic that I myself don’t practice it. I guess I really should revamp my study schedule.

Another thing that I’ve had a problem with would be living the semi-independent life. I’d be the first to admit that I lived a sheltered childhood growing up. So the transition between being fully dependent on my parents (meals mostly smile) to basically only depending on my parents financially and emotionally was a pretty big step. From having to make sure my allowance would fit meals for the entire month, to having to regularly clean the condo on my own and not just doing it when asked by my parents, the first few months were really a struggle for me to adapt to. Thankfully now as a second year student, I have gotten into a sort of groove of doing things.

The last one that comes to mind would be one that many others also experience. I got from seeing my family every day for about 15 years to being able to see them only on the weekends. Technology has helped so much in this aspect since I could still speak to them every day, but nothing really beats the warmth you get from spending time with your family (and having some of my parent’s amazing cooking smile).

I guess the best advice that I would be able to give anyone who experience the same as me would be to think that you can do it and push through. It may sound cheesy but that’s how I’m going about in life right now. We just recently learned about the need for drive in performing occupations and how important it is that it’s not just you who would motivate yourself if you couldn’t do it on your own. It’s not bad to need help, everyone does at one point or another, and never should asking for help be a sign of weakness. So if you can’t stand on your own, find your support, and believe in yourself so that one day you could stand on your own.

I’d love to hear any thoughts (and tips) you guys may have! smile

Offline

#29 Wednesday 5th of October 2016 11:40

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

KawJemilyn wrote:

Hello there! It's me, Jem!

I remember when I was young, my parents let me go to bed at 9:30PM; at that time, I must finish all my assignments and reviewed my subjects for tomorrow's classes. As time passes by, 9:30PM became later and later, until now, 1:30AM seems normal to me. I thought it was just me alone because I need to balance academics and extracurricular activities, but I then discovered, most of my classmates are the same with me. The challenge for me is not getting to sleep when I feel sleepy already; I get to struggle opening my eyes wide in the middle of the night, reviewing or preparing notes for the next day. I also blame myself for getting distracted with social media, yes! I tend to scroll through my Facebook news feed when I rest in between study time (sometimes, I forgot to time myself and tada! Time wasted). Still, I try my best in controlling myself and balance my time.

I used to play piano and attend piano class during Saturdays since I was in kindergarten, it never stopped; but, as soon as I started college, especially during majors this year, I didn't get the chance to visit our music room anymore (it is located in my old school) because I need to catch up with academics, other extracurricular activities and part time job. To my friends who really know me, I am really clingy to music. Not having a chance to touch the piano makes me sad and depressed and what I do to compensate is to at least hum or sing songs everyday so that music won't feel like a stranger to me.

Although I'm deprived of some occupations that I love, I still cheer myself up because I am enjoying the subjects that we're taking for BS Occupational Therapy. Yes, the subjects are hardcore, make us lose our occupational balance, but I still believe that these will really be worth it. I'm kinda thankful for having OTion discussion room as our activity for an subject because conversing with different people makes me happy too! (Yay! You make me happy!)

Do you have some feels with what I have mentioned? Feel free to share them with me! smile

- Jem


ヽ( ・∀・)ノ


Hi Jem-Jem! This is Leanne, your fellow univ-mate!

Woah, just by seeing the load you carry daily, I can't help but marvel at how you could balance all of these; but then, there's always a factor that must be sacrificed, which in most of our cases, is sleep ( ಠ_ಠ). What struck me the greatest about your post was the way you found an alternative route just so you could rekindle your love for music constantly, even in the littlest of ways (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)و.

You know how Filipinos say, "kung ayaw may dahilan, kung gusto parating merong paraan," which just means that if you really like something, there are tons of ways to get it, just as much as there are excuses if you actually don't. I love how that speaks so much of OT, from the viewpoint of a student, all the way to that of a practicing clinician's. A lot of us struggle in the course of our studies. Some of us cannot help but think twice whether OT is really the profession we wish to pursue. In the end, most of us really learn to love it and all its aspects. We find ways (ಠ‿↼) to make things work, even at times when things seem to be crumbling down. As for clinicians, it is a must for them to find the best intervention, to be creative, to improvise, and to find alternatives,
just like what you did for music ♫꒰・◡・๑꒱.



\(◕ฺー≦)/


There will always be drops in our journey. And it is a given that things will never be easy, especially for us OTs. But when everything isn't going our way, and when gulps of caffeine seem to be the only thing binding our stuff up
(눈_눈), we look back to the reason why we're doing all of these *sees flashbacks of Purpose and Meaning Lecture* (◎_◎;)



Let's keep hustlin' because we all know it's gonna be worth it.


(*・∀-)☆



P.S. these emoticons are actually called "Jemoticons" because they're supposedly "Japanese Emoticons" haha

Last edited by myungderp kiddo (Wednesday 5th of October 2016 11:42)

Offline

#30 Thursday 6th of October 2016 10:13

esc501
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

RichardIrvin wrote:
esc501 wrote:
shmays wrote:

Hi Pauline! Thanks for continuing student topic threads. One of the more challenging and rewarding aspects of my program at the moment is diversity. In the US, OT is not a diverse profession (e.g. racially, by gender). Classmates and I are currently in challenging discourse on how demographics within our program and profession affect the research produced, the work we do, and the people we serve. We're working on diversity and health equity task initiatives at the moment, but I would love to hear how other OT programs across the globe are tackling issues of diversity, inclusion, and health equity.


Hello :-)

I am currently on a masters course in the UK. I have moved from another profession, and one of the main difficulties I had was explaining to people what I was doing, and people viewing it as not a good move to make - mainly because they misunderstood was Occupational Therapy is about. When explaining it, I have found that people want a quick answer, and that can be hard as I found (and still do find) it good to give examples. It as got a bit easier as I have started the course, because I am becoming more sure of what it is all about. I try to include what occupation means, and talk about working with people who, for various reasons, are finding it difficult to do the things they need or want to do. Followed by a few examples. I'm not claiming this to be the best way, and it has been difficult!

Practical things like moving house, money etc have been difficult, but that was helped by planning before I decided to move over to this course.

Interesting what you say shmays - we have also been talking about the lack of diversity on the course! I know the course does interview and accept international students, but I wonder if it is something to do with who is applying for the course in the first place, and why it isn't a very diverse selection of people who want to apply. I'm sure there are deeper issues here regarding that...perhaps to do with education, stereotypes, aspirations. We have just submitted our research proposals, and I was very aware, as you say, of mine being yet another piece of research from a white, middle-class, Western woman...(!)

Hi! My name's Richard. I'm from the Philippines. Like you, I have a difficult time explaining to others what OT actually is. People here often associate occupational therapy with physical therapy. I often use the analogy "PTs teach clients how to move his legs, but an OT teaches him how to dance." One of the difficulties of studying OT here in the Philippines is that OT not being that well-known and that some people don't really know what we do. Prior to studying OT in UP Manila, I tried to explain it to the people who ask me what it is, but I ultimately fail. Now in my second year studying OT, I got a lot better at it. I feels great to have someone understand OT when I explain it! Also, another problem is advocacy. OT advocacies are always overshadowed by other advocacies and sometimes, it's eventually forgotten. As a solution, my college tries to encourage us to be aggressive advocates. Our class projects often involves us posting stuff on facebook or sharing publicity materials on social media sites.

These are some of the problems of OT in the Philippines. I am interested to learn what OT challenges the other countries face and how they deal with them. Hope to hear from you guys soon!

I like this analogy, thank you :-) And I agree, when you speak to someone who does understand OT it is exciting! (and a relief...!) We've also been encouraged on our course to think about how we define OT to different groups of people and make an effort to do it well when we are talking to the public and other professionals. Sometimes easier said than done, when you get a blank look but they carry on talking, so you dont feel you can say "do you actually know what I do then?!" ;-)

Offline

#31 Thursday 6th of October 2016 15:39

shmays
Moderator

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

gvyrastorza wrote:

Hello everyone. Ito here from the Philippines. I don't have a lot of time, so I just want to address a simple yet possibly problematic issue for us OT students in regards to using this forum as a means of interaction and correspondence.

I have just discovered around the forums bots and spammers. Now, as young as the forums may be, I see this as a threat to us OT students in using OTION as a way to connect.

It may not seem like a big problem, but I as an OT student see this forum as a very important tool for all of us to share our knowledge, experiences, and resources with each other. I will post again some other time, but for the meantime, I bring up this small (as of yet) challenge.


Hi Ito, thank you for bringing up this issue with other forum members. As the forum moderator, I will try my best to delete spammer posts as thoroughly and frequently as I can! We hope you continue to utilize and enjoy this space, spam free. smile

Offline

#32 Friday 7th of October 2016 13:30

gvyrastorza
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

esc501 wrote:

Sometimes easier said than done, when you get a blank look but they carry on talking, so you dont feel you can say "do you actually know what I do then?!"

Hi Ellen! I completely understand this. The past weekend, I had a small conversation with my grandfather regarding OT. It kind of shocked me to learn that after a year, he still thought that OT was more involved with work (as in, occupations meaning professions). It was easier to explain it to him, however, than to many people I have come across previously. I made another topic regarding this, although it hasn't seen much activity. I've deleted it since it seems rather redundant now that more discussion on it has come up here. I'd like to hear

Byeul wrote:

Our #1 dilemma is that there are only a few OTs in our country

KawJemilyn wrote:

At present, the ratio of occupational therapists over the total population in the Philippines is 0.3:10,000.

K.V.Rivera wrote:

Studies here found that there are around 0.3 Occupational therapists for every 10,000 Filipinos

Although I myself know this, it's still a rather shocking bit of statistics to think about. To all my fellow Philippine OTs in the forum, let's work to change that. After all, it's all about giving service to all the people who need it, and seeing the quality of life many Filipinos have in this day and age, I can say we're really needed in our country.

RichardIrvin wrote:

I guess the confirmation message and the password OTION sends to our e-mail account are sufficient enough against these spambots.

Well, I suppose so. Although just the fact that a few were still able to get in is a bit worrying.

KawJemilyn wrote:

Another issue in our country (related to OT) is the inclusion of occupational therapy services in the PhilHealth coverage. PhilHealth is the national health insurance program in the Philippines which can be accessed by all Filipinos. This program aids Filipinos to access in different health services with financial assistance depending on their socioeconomic status; moreover, it is also responsible in putting up different clinics and insurances in different community settings all over Philippines. With what we have learned, OT advocates are amending the Republic Act 9241 to include occupational therapy services in the PhilHealth coverage since people with disabilities of lower socioeconomic status couldn't afford occupational therapy service.

After scanning some other websites, I've found that people from some other countries can benefit from OT through extended health care policies. This page, for example, states that. However, it also states that not every insurance company includes OT to possible benefits. However, I do believe that here in the Philippines, we deserve to have OT covered in PhilHealth, especially since it's a national insurance company that aims to provide universal health coverage.

shmays wrote:

I will try my best to delete spammer posts as thoroughly and frequently as I can!

I've noticed that said spam post is gone. Thanks Chloe! I'll probably try browsing the forum every now and then to check on any possible spam posts. Just because you're the forum mod doesn't mean you need to do all the work! smile

To everyone else here, I've noticed that most of the talk has been around student problems. As an OT student, I can say I've more or less been able to balance out school work with personal time. I can finish requirements on time while still having time for myself. I've noticed that one thing shared by most of you is having to sacrifice some of your occupations (sleeping, personal activities like hobbies) for academic life. I don't know if I'm really one to say this, but I'm confident that eventually you'll all find a sort of balance to it. I haven't, but I know I'm getting there. We can do this, everyone! big_smile

Offline

#33 Saturday 8th of October 2016 06:39

Ivanna Co
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi! Ivanna here.

The difference between high school and college requirements and exams threw me off track. I was not able to develop good study habits in high school, merely studying a few hours before an exam because I can still get by with good grades. However, I discovered tertiary education is on a completely different scale. Nowadays, I must study at least a week in advance to be able to comprehend the lessons taught.

People most often respond with a blank stare whenever I answer my college course is occupational therapy. They assume that it is the same as PT. Enlightening them gives me satisfaction knowing I can correct some of their misconceptions as well. It is sad to discover that the reason why OT is not widely-known here as the common people cannot afford the long-term service of one. Illustrating them with this saying. "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime" made them able to grasp the value of an Occupational Therapist.

Another problem I deal with is when people find out that BS OT is a pre-med course. They immediately assume that I want to become a doctor in the future. I find that being an OT is already a big contribution to the community, and the scarcity of finding an OT is already a problem in the Philippines.

Although having to study for majority of my waking hours is very tiring and stressful, knowing that I will be able to use the information that I have learned for my clients someday gives me the will to endure through this hardship. In addition, my blockmates are there to support and encourage each other to do our best.

Offline

#34 Saturday 8th of October 2016 18:07

etalas
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hey Phoebe! The person who explained to me what OT is contributed to my false expectation that college would be easier than high school. She's right, the way she defined OT is what really OT is but she forgot to inform me that though our profession (someday) would be easy and enjoyable, the path we have to take to be there would be hard, (in UP, very hard hahaha). Like you, in the beginning, my physical and mental health were not able to adjust that easily. The first month we entered college, I got sick and was diagnosed to be STRESSED and that I needed to take a one-week rest. That was first in my whole life and I did not expect STRESS to cause that much pain. That's why this year, I decided to take rest from playing volleyball since it demands much time and energy.

You and my mother share the same idea: to prioritize health over academics. She always reminds me to take enough rest, sleep, and food smile She  doesn't care if I fail exams as long as I'm healthy. She won't get mad at me for failing exams but if I get sick, she will surely get mad. She also threatened me before that if I get sick again, she would pull me out of UP and bring me back to our province.

Yes, we as future occupational therapists, must include mastery of occupational balance to one of our biggest goals. smile   

pgcruz4 wrote:

Hi! I’m Phoebe Cruz from the University of the Philippines Manila.

As a college student I expected that there would be loads of requirements, assignments, examinations, or things simply known as stress. Stress is not a foreign word to me especially when I entered university. Stress has always been a part of my life. It’s not uncommon to us students; even so, I think it’s unhealthy. I’m already in my second year and I realize now how important it is take care of my health. I used to be a very active person; I do physical activities with ease. Today, I find it difficult to move my body ardently because now I get tired easily. I cannot afford to sleep early at night because I need to finish my requirements. I travel far every day and it gives additional toil in my body. I never get the chance to eat healthy food since there are only fast foods around the university. I try to do exercises and even dance, but I feel like my body would give up whenever I do them. The doctor said that my immune system went down. Now, I get sick easily when I get poured down by little rain. Sometimes, I feel like vomiting while in class, and the previous week, my mouth had mouth sores and I had sore throat, I really had a hard time eating.

I know how important the requirements and exams are in school, but I don’t think it is right to sacrifice our health just so we can finish our academic responsibilities. Now, I learned that we, especially students, need to know how to manage our time and balance our tasks. If we wanted to have both good grades and a healthy body, we need to use our time wisely.

Even if I don’t join in a lot of orgs, I still find it very helpful for me to have a good time with my fellow blockmates, my second family. It wasn’t bad for me to have fun with them because they keep me sane.

Occupational therapists should know how significant balance is in our lives. I realized how I should not just be aware of this fact but I also have to take this into heart.  If I wanted to become a prolific OT in the future, I need to give utmost importance to the health and well-being of a person.

Offline

#35 Saturday 8th of October 2016 18:48

etalas
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Most of the posts already included problems related to explaining OT to other people, managing time, balancing occupations, being away from home, etc. I don’t know if I’m weird or what but I find having an occupational lens challenging. I’m not even sure if I already developed it but it feels like I already had. All I know is that with occupational lens, you perceive all (without exceptions) person’s action as a product of some other actions. To make it easier, you believe that with any action (bad or good), there is a reason behind, so you have to understand it. At first, I thought that it made me a better person since I’ll no longer be a “judger”. But as soon as I experienced it, I found it challenging. I always say to myself that understanding them is not equal to ignoring their mistakes but I always end up ignoring. I’m not always ignorant, there are times I forget wearing those ‘’occupational lens’’ and the result is my natural self, very straightforward. I always end up regretful. Maybe the reason why I find those kinds of situations challenging and quite frustrating is that I’m just a 2nd year student who is only about to take few major subjects.

Please let me know if you are also experiencing the same challenge as mine so that we can share experiences with each other. smile

Last edited by etalas (Saturday 8th of October 2016 18:51)

Offline

#36 Sunday 9th of October 2016 14:12

cetalastas
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi! I'm Cathy from the Philippines. One of the major challenges encountered by OT students in the Philippines is the unfamiliarity of the people of the profession. Most of the time, after I answer when people ask me what’s my course, their next question is either “What is that?” or “It’s like physical therapy right?”. To enlighten them, I just explain the difference of OT from PT by telling them, “A PT will enable the child to hold the pen and an OT will teach the child how to write using the pen”. By using this answer, I am able to explain them the difference of an OT from PT. With that, I still feel that our profession is not well advocated and is not given much importance as that of the other profession that is well known. Being an OT student, these unfortunate scenarios serves as an eye-opener for me that as a future OT, I should be one in advocating and promoting our profession. To be able to do this, it is important to us not only to preach the beauty of the profession but more importantly, we should promote it through actions because what OT could do to improve the quality of life of a person is what keeps the profession alive and appreciated by people. As OT students, we should be the voice of our profession and through simple actions, we should help to give quality to the lives of the people.

Being an OT student here in UP Manila, I have a very heavy workload. The occupational balance that our profession gives importance is still not evident in my lifestyle because of the tedious amount of work that needs to be done every day. Almost every week, we have exams. With that, I am unable to do some of the occupations that I love doing such as watching movies and traveling. However, through having a positive outlook in life, I just think of these exams and the things that I have to do as an obstacle that I should pass through to be able to do what I want to do for a lifetime which is to help people through my profession.

Of all  the things that I do, the most important and most satisfying is eating dinner with my family. Even though my parents and sister are miles away from me and my brother, they make sure that they video call especially if we are about to eat dinner. In that way, we are able to talk with each other and share stories of what has transpired in that day. Thus, eating dinner, enables me to relieve my stress and to remember what inspires me not to give up.

Last edited by cetalastas (Sunday 9th of October 2016 14:15)

Offline

#37 Sunday 9th of October 2016 14:29

cetalastas
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Ivanna Co wrote:

Hi! Ivanna here.

The difference between high school and college requirements and exams threw me off track. I was not able to develop good study habits in high school, merely studying a few hours before an exam because I can still get by with good grades. However, I discovered tertiary education is on a completely different scale. Nowadays, I must study at least a week in advance to be able to comprehend the lessons taught.

People most often respond with a blank stare whenever I answer my college course is occupational therapy. They assume that it is the same as PT. Enlightening them gives me satisfaction knowing I can correct some of their misconceptions as well. It is sad to discover that the reason why OT is not widely-known here as the common people cannot afford the long-term service of one. Illustrating them with this saying. "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime" made them able to grasp the value of an Occupational Therapist.

Another problem I deal with is when people find out that BS OT is a pre-med course. They immediately assume that I want to become a doctor in the future. I find that being an OT is already a big contribution to the community, and the scarcity of finding an OT is already a problem in the Philippines.

Although having to study for majority of my waking hours is very tiring and stressful, knowing that I will be able to use the information that I have learned for my clients someday gives me the will to endure through this hardship. In addition, my blockmates are there to support and encourage each other to do our best.

Hi Ivanna! Just like you, I also experienced difficulty in adjusting to college especially with the amount of work that needs to be done.  I thought that my study habit in high school was effective but then when I was in my first year of college, I found out that it is not the appropriate study habit that will enable me to get good grades. Now that I am in my second year, I have to study a week or two just to be an effective and efficient student. However, with the increasing amount of work, I am unable to do it. Hopefully, when times comes, I will able to fully adjust to the workload and learn how to have occupational balance. Also, it seems that most of us experience the different responses of people who are unfamiliar with our course. It is a very saddening but I hope that all of us, as OT students could share the beauty of our profession in our own ways.

Offline

#38 Sunday 9th of October 2016 14:44

cetalastas
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi, Nicole! I am really amazed of the outline you have created to explain Occupational Therapy. In my opinion, the outline you have made can really enlighten people about OT. Before I just give them simple examples just like your example in differentiating OT from PT and I think after some other time I tend to ask myself if I was really able to explicate OT to them  or I just gave them a piece of a puzzle. So with your outline, I think I will be able to tell people and explain well to them  the OT profession. On the other hand, just like you, of all the things that I do, the most satisfying is when I spend moments with my family. Definitely, I am a family-centered person and I always make sure that I allot time for them.

Maria Nicole Sombillo wrote:

As a student, I am having difficulty in managing my time efficiently, especially in my studies. For the next 2 weeks, we are scheduled to have 2 exams per week, and that's not all. We also have requirements and projects to pass. As an OT student, we have an idea of the concept of occupational balance, but ironically, I, myself, find it difficult to have and maintain that balance. My occupations are always "too much" for me. I feel that in able to have that balance, I push myself too much or too hard, I overwork and maybe exert too much effort, and not knowing if that's a good or a bad thing.

A past challenge is when my dad went to California to work there. As a child, I'm not that close to my father for we always see him only online, when we do video calls. I also remember that every year at our school, on recognition day, I've always wanted my father to be the one to put the medal on me, but he seldom goes home at that time. sad But as I grew older and understood better the reason of my dad to work abroad, I came to appreciate him better, the sacrifices he did for our family for us to have a better life. I know treasure more the moments we spend together as a family when he goes back. And the situation is better now because he makes sure to go home twice a year smile

How do I explain what OT is? I was asked a lot of times by a lot of people what OT is, what OT's do, and the difference of OT and PT. I developed an outline on how to explain it to them. First, I tell what the meaning occupation is. Then I give examples of occupation. Then I tell what the OT's focus on, examples of fine motor skills, examples of illnesses/diseases and what OT's do to intervene. Then for the difference of OT and PT, I tell this scenario (told by my brother who is also an OT student). For example, a basketball player had an injury. A PT makes sure that the player will be able to walk again (include other gross motor skills), but an OT makes sure that the player will be able to play basketball again. smile

It is difficult for me to balance my commitments, but these are what I do. I write them. Like in a planner. So I will know that to do on that day. I also put them in order to know what I'll do first. But before all of that, I also make sure first if I can really commit to that, if not, I have to turn that down. As of now, the occupations that I do are the occupations that I want to do. And if I don't want to do that occupation but I needed to, I try my best to find enjoyment in that occupation. Maybe an occupatiom that I can't do, but I sort of want to do is watching TV shows. Because in where I am currently staying, we do not have a TV installed, so I can only watch TV shows on weekend (when I go home).

The most important things that I do now are sleeping, eating, and studying. The most satisfying are the times that I spend with my family and friends smile

Offline

#39 Monday 10th of October 2016 14:56

pdregalario
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

cetalastas wrote:

Hi! I'm Cathy from the Philippines. One of the major challenges encountered by OT students in the Philippines is the unfamiliarity of the people of the profession. Most of the time, after I answer when people ask me what’s my course, their next question is either “What is that?” or “It’s like physical therapy right?”. To enlighten them, I just explain the difference of OT from PT by telling them, “A PT will enable the child to hold the pen and an OT will teach the child how to write using the pen”. By using this answer, I am able to explain them the difference of an OT from PT. With that, I still feel that our profession is not well advocated and is not given much importance as that of the other profession that is well known. Being an OT student, these unfortunate scenarios serves as an eye-opener for me that as a future OT, I should be one in advocating and promoting our profession. To be able to do this, it is important to us not only to preach the beauty of the profession but more importantly, we should promote it through actions because what OT could do to improve the quality of life of a person is what keeps the profession alive and appreciated by people. As OT students, we should be the voice of our profession and through simple actions, we should help to give quality to the lives of the people.

Being an OT student here in UP Manila, I have a very heavy workload. The occupational balance that our profession gives importance is still not evident in my lifestyle because of the tedious amount of work that needs to be done every day. Almost every week, we have exams. With that, I am unable to do some of the occupations that I love doing such as watching movies and traveling. However, through having a positive outlook in life, I just think of these exams and the things that I have to do as an obstacle that I should pass through to be able to do what I want to do for a lifetime which is to help people through my profession.

Of all  the things that I do, the most important and most satisfying is eating dinner with my family. Even though my parents and sister are miles away from me and my brother, they make sure that they video call especially if we are about to eat dinner. In that way, we are able to talk with each other and share stories of what has transpired in that day. Thus, eating dinner, enables me to relieve my stress and to remember what inspires me not to give up.

Hi Cathy!
I find it amusing that you mentioned the whole unfamiliarity of most people to our profession (or at least soon to be profession) here in the Philippines because I used to be part of those people. I don't claim to be an expert already at this point. When I enrolled for this course, I had a very vague idea as to how exactly our practice worked. You can say that I was part of the problem. Because of my inexperience and gross lack of knowledge, I cannot confidently claim that I am now part of the solution. The explanation you use to distinguish OT from PT, however, is something that I, myself, have used in order to spread the word. I suppose, like most (if not all) of us wish to establish our profession as a household name that no longer needs such explanations to be identified and distinguished. May we succeed.

I cannot agree with you enough regarding the hellish workload we are made to endure! I honestly laud you and most of our blockmates for being able to attain to some extent occupational balance. I am far far behind in that aspect. I doubt I'd ever catch up. Hahaha. Still, I agree that positive thinking can certainly work wonders. We just need to work hard and persevere. We'll get to the finish line at some point. I truly believe that. At least, I believe a day will come that I say those words without a hint of sarcasm nor doubt.

Regarding family matters, I can somehow relate to you when it comes to long distance relationships. My mother lives with me but I have an aunt and a cute little cousin who lives in Canada. I only see them once a year. And it's heartbreaking to monitor my cute cousin's growth from afar. However, like you, I treasure the moments we share. I pray that our families continue to flourish.

You have inspired me so much, Cathy. God bless and good luck to all of us!

-Pau

Offline

#40 Tuesday 11th of October 2016 11:29

Ivanna Co
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

cetalastas wrote:
Ivanna Co wrote:

Hi! Ivanna here.

The difference between high school and college requirements and exams threw me off track. I was not able to develop good study habits in high school, merely studying a few hours before an exam because I can still get by with good grades. However, I discovered tertiary education is on a completely different scale. Nowadays, I must study at least a week in advance to be able to comprehend the lessons taught.

People most often respond with a blank stare whenever I answer my college course is occupational therapy. They assume that it is the same as PT. Enlightening them gives me satisfaction knowing I can correct some of their misconceptions as well. It is sad to discover that the reason why OT is not widely-known here as the common people cannot afford the long-term service of one. Illustrating them with this saying. "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime" made them able to grasp the value of an Occupational Therapist.

Another problem I deal with is when people find out that BS OT is a pre-med course. They immediately assume that I want to become a doctor in the future. I find that being an OT is already a big contribution to the community, and the scarcity of finding an OT is already a problem in the Philippines.

Although having to study for majority of my waking hours is very tiring and stressful, knowing that I will be able to use the information that I have learned for my clients someday gives me the will to endure through this hardship. In addition, my blockmates are there to support and encourage each other to do our best.

Hi Ivanna! Just like you, I also experienced difficulty in adjusting to college especially with the amount of work that needs to be done.  I thought that my study habit in high school was effective but then when I was in my first year of college, I found out that it is not the appropriate study habit that will enable me to get good grades. Now that I am in my second year, I have to study a week or two just to be an effective and efficient student. However, with the increasing amount of work, I am unable to do it. Hopefully, when times comes, I will able to fully adjust to the workload and learn how to have occupational balance. Also, it seems that most of us experience the different responses of people who are unfamiliar with our course. It is a very saddening but I hope that all of us, as OT students could share the beauty of our profession in our own ways.

Hi Cathy!

I'm sure you will be able to eventually adjust to the workload and achieve occupational balance. As long as you always remember your goals, there will always be room for improvement.

Offline

#41 Tuesday 11th of October 2016 11:40

kyla.rocafort
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

avaguila1 wrote:

Hi again! I am Alyssa from UP Manila. I would like to share to you some of the challenges I face as a student.

Before entering college, I already have heard a lot of stories that tell how stressful college can be. Somehow, I was already preparing myself for all the challenges I was about to face. But then, no preparation is enough for you to be really ready and equip for tertiary education. I realized when I was already starting college that, before, I only thought about getting myself ready for my classes and how difficult all could be. I wasn’t able to prepare myself for all the other things that come with college life. It may not be obvious for some but I really had a hard time adjusting. During the first 2 or 3 months of my first year college, I was always sick considering that I am not that kind of person who easily gets sick or even have colds. It was really hard to study especially when I was not feeling well.

Another challenge, I continuously face up until now is being away from home. I have to live in a dormitory for my entire college education because I can’t handle commuting every day from Manila to Batangas.  This was a big step for me. I am away from my family and the comforts of our home. My mom wouldn’t be around to help me with my food, laundry and other stuff too. I also had to learn to manage my money. If before, my only problem was how I will study, now, I have a lot of other stuff I am responsible of. This requires me to build a good time management and budgeting skills.

Now, what is college without its huge amount of lined-up exams and project submissions? Sometimes, I just don’t know what to do every time I would look at my schedule and see all those exams scheduled one after the other. I admit that I haven’t built a good studying habit and this adds to my stress. Now that I am in my second year and almost all of my subjects are already major subjects, the difficulty of the lessons plus these scheduled exams really gives me a hard time.

But despite of all these challenges, I know that this journey will be worth it.


Hi, Alyssa! I completely agree with you! College is a really different kind of educational experience. Like you, I am also away from home. Before, I can go back to my province every week but now, it rarely happens due to the academic overload. I remember the time when I broke down in front of my roommates because I was not able to attend our reunion. It hurts knowing that I can’t do the things I used to do as well as be part of something that I was once part of.
Weekly exams and multiple papers are no longer new to both you and me. But I hope your dream and determination is renewed every day when you go to school. This is just the beginning of something wonderful in your life. smile

Offline

#42 Tuesday 11th of October 2016 11:43

kyla.rocafort
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Ivanna Co wrote:

Hi! Ivanna here.

The difference between high school and college requirements and exams threw me off track. I was not able to develop good study habits in high school, merely studying a few hours before an exam because I can still get by with good grades. However, I discovered tertiary education is on a completely different scale. Nowadays, I must study at least a week in advance to be able to comprehend the lessons taught.

People most often respond with a blank stare whenever I answer my college course is occupational therapy. They assume that it is the same as PT. Enlightening them gives me satisfaction knowing I can correct some of their misconceptions as well. It is sad to discover that the reason why OT is not widely-known here as the common people cannot afford the long-term service of one. Illustrating them with this saying. "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime" made them able to grasp the value of an Occupational Therapist.

Another problem I deal with is when people find out that BS OT is a pre-med course. They immediately assume that I want to become a doctor in the future. I find that being an OT is already a big contribution to the community, and the scarcity of finding an OT is already a problem in the Philippines.

Although having to study for majority of my waking hours is very tiring and stressful, knowing that I will be able to use the information that I have learned for my clients someday gives me the will to endure through this hardship. In addition, my blockmates are there to support and encourage each other to do our best.


Hello, Ivanna! Haha I absolutely agree with you! College is definitely NOT a piece of cake! But still, we have to go through it, right? smile Just try browsing, scanning and reviewing your notes and reading a little of your books every day and you’ll get through college with a little less difficulty. wink And just keep in mind that from now on, the books you read and the lessons you discuss are vital for our professional practice in the future. Remember, our country needs skillful and devoted Occupational Therapists. Never give up on your dream!

Ahh yes! It’s either that blank stare or that fake laugh! Sometimes, I directly explain to them what we do and how we’re different with the PTs whenever I see confusion in people’s faces. It’s actually really rare to meet someone who knows the scope of our course. But when I do, it actually makes my day already.

I hope in the future, people will understand that our course is as important as the others. I believe that it is in our hands, our voices and our works to transform our dreams for our profession into reality.

Offline

#43 Tuesday 11th of October 2016 11:45

kyla.rocafort
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

etalas wrote:

Most of the posts already included problems related to explaining OT to other people, managing time, balancing occupations, being away from home, etc. I don’t know if I’m weird or what but I find having an occupational lens challenging. I’m not even sure if I already developed it but it feels like I already had. All I know is that with occupational lens, you perceive all (without exceptions) person’s action as a product of some other actions. To make it easier, you believe that with any action (bad or good), there is a reason behind, so you have to understand it. At first, I thought that it made me a better person since I’ll no longer be a “judger”. But as soon as I experienced it, I found it challenging. I always say to myself that understanding them is not equal to ignoring their mistakes but I always end up ignoring. I’m not always ignorant, there are times I forget wearing those ‘’occupational lens’’ and the result is my natural self, very straightforward. I always end up regretful. Maybe the reason why I find those kinds of situations challenging and quite frustrating is that I’m just a 2nd year student who is only about to take few major subjects.

Please let me know if you are also experiencing the same challenge as mine so that we can share experiences with each other. smile


Hi, Gale! It’s not weird at all! I sometimes find myself looking through that “occupational lens” too. I think occupational lens is something that each OT students and practitioners should possess. You’re right. It enables us to understand the occupation that holds meaning for a person whether the reason behind is negative. For example, my younger brother loves playing computer games. Of course, our mother would be furious whenever she sees my brother playing. She’ll be generalizing that all that my brother does is to play. Now, I have a special friend who loves playing computer games too. His hobby sometimes gets into my nerves, but recently, I realized that maybe playing computer and video games is something that makes my brother and friend happy. I realized that maybe, this is their way of relaxing. This is their form of play and leisure. So whenever I see my brother and friend playing video games, I automatically understand their actions. However, I see to it that I do not ignore the consequences of their actions just like when they have been playing all day already and forget their other duties and tasks. I try to help them by asking them to set a number of hours to play per day. I also remind them of the duties that they have to fulfill. I share the same experience as you, Gale. smile I have felt the uneasy and confusing feeling you feel whenever faced with a situation. I suggest that you list down all the factors, the pros and the cons in the situation. Be open-minded. Do not be afraid to consider the negative factors because it is only when we identify those can we truly understand and most of all, correct and improve.

I honestly admire you for carrying out the occupational lens in you. Don’t worry about you possessing this as early as second year. We will all be needing and acquiring that in the future because occupational lens is the greatest vision we can have.  It is actually your advantage to attain it as early as now. smile

Offline

#44 Tuesday 11th of October 2016 11:49

kyla.rocafort
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi! This is Kyla again. smile Like most of you, my hometown is far from the city I am studying in. I used to go home every week, but now it rarely happens due to a hectic schedule. I agree that weekly exams, and multiple projects and papers are part of college. I have nothing against that because every college student experiences that. However, I sometimes can’t help but rethink if my efforts in studying are worth it. I never doubt my love for OT, but sometimes, my dream is no longer enough to inspire me to continue. And that is what I need --- continuous motivation. Whenever I lose my motivation, I talk to my mom and plan adventures and outings that I can look forward to. This somehow excites me, thus improving and lightening my mood. I also resort to sleeping because a good rest and sleep enables my mind to refresh.

I am used to seeing confused stares whenever people ask me what my course is. I usually explain to them by first defining occupation using WFOT’s definition, “Occupations include things people need to, want to and are expected to do.” (2012) I make sure that they suddenly think about the occupations that matter to them and how it would feel not being able to do it again. Then I would explain the importance of occupation in one’s life by sharing my favorite quote, “Occupation is a strong enabler of knowing one’s self.” (Hasselkus, 2011) After explaining, I would sometimes receive fake laughs indicating still their lack of awareness about the course. It makes me sad, but I would always devise a new way of explaining things simpler so that people would get the gist of what we do.

They said that 2nd year in our college is a hard one since it is the transition period. Aside from being a student, I also have to fulfill my role as a team leader in one of the departments in AIESEC as well as my role as the secretary in my karate club, JKA. I also have a responsibility to fulfill for my blockmates. I make sure that I finish the works that involve other people before accomplishing personal tasks. I keep track of my schedule by filling out a planner and doing in advance works that are given to avoid cramming. Before, I am really active in karate training, but due to an overload in academics and organization works, I skip most of my training in my province. However, I make sure that I am able to exercise here in Manila because working out is really an important occupation to me.

Everyone encounters challenges, and everyone can overcome those. Challenges are something that we cannot run away from. The best thing to do is to confront it, and learn from it.

Offline

#45 Tuesday 11th of October 2016 11:57

Sam Agura
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi everyone! It's me again, Sam from UP Manila.

I think one of the most challenging things we face as a student would be balancing our academics, social lives and extra-curricular activities. As an OT student, we encourage the concept of occupational balance and ironically enough, it is something I think, a lot of us struggle with. This is mostly due to the fact that in our school curriculum, the usual 5 years of OT in other universities in our country, is currently a 4-year program in our university and as such, for 2 years, we have no summer break.


Back in high school I used to be involved in a lot of extra-curricular activities, from taekwondo to piano lessons as well as other school organizations. Schoolwise, most of our academic requirements back then involved a lot of paperwork, discussions and group works. Because of this, I mostly relied on the due dates of requirements to manage my tasks and my time. However, now that I'm in college, I find that this system no longer works as well for me since we have more readings and a lot of our subjects really depend on memorization which I'm not very good at. Right now, I'm struggling with learning how to properly manage my time and cope with our workload.

Due to this, I'm no longer really able to participate in the occupations I used to do in high school. Hopefully, I'll soon be able to find the most efficient way for me to work and be able to go back to doing those previous occupations.


Hope to hear more from everyone else! Good luck to everyone as well!

Last edited by Sam Agura (Tuesday 11th of October 2016 11:59)

Offline

#46 Wednesday 12th of October 2016 01:12

rfgenuino
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi this is Ruthie from UPM ^^

I often have difficulty managing my time in college, like most others do. I've never really done anything much outside of regular academics back in high school but now in college I've found so many other things to do outside of just studying. For the first time, I'm genuinely interested in extra-curricular activities and it's interfering with my studies because I'd honestly rather much do those than study.

I also still have problems with studying itself, because I never really developed good study habits before and I'm definitely paying for it now that a lot of our lessons require self-directed learning. I've never really been used to reading long chapters ahead of time before lessons and usually cram a few days before the exams, it's probably about time I've learned haha.

Offline

#47 Wednesday 12th of October 2016 10:02

Violet
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi all. It's Violet from Salford University in UK.

I am in my second year of studying occupational therapy. Since starting the course last year, I have noticed that whenever we have a break from uni, for example, Easter or summer break, I always stress that I should be doing extra work and in my head everyone else is always studying hard and I struggle to get motivated and organised. I often felt overwhelmed as I wanted to get some extra reading done or research a topic that is of interest to me but somehow I was finding it difficult to organise my time when all of a sudden I had plenty of time. This was making me feel like I was wasting lots of valuable time and trying to convince myself that I needed rest wasn't working.

At the end of August this year when I realised I will be starting my second year soon, I knew I had to start revising so that I feel prepared. I have created a daily timetable in Excel and started scheduling my learning objectives, for example, I would wake up at 6am exercise,breakfast then revise MOHO for 2hrs followed by reading a journal article then reading a chapter in a book I wanted to read over the summer.. by doing this I often found that by 10-11am I had completed many tasks, learned a lot and also did things I enjoy doing (reading books, exercise good for my health). I still carry on with my timetable now we are 3 weeks into the second year of the program and it helps me a lot to feel organised therefore my mind is clearer and I don't panic anymore. It helps me to keep myself balanced and prevents me from unnecessary stress and mood swings. It teaches me self-discipline and determination too. I believe that good self-management skills save us a lot of time,hassle and nerves, therefore I would recommend to other students to spend some time on planning their day as it is possible to study and do other things. Hope this helps other students who often feel overwhelmed by the amount of work that is required from them and the lack of time to do things they enjoy doing.

Offline

#48 Friday 14th of October 2016 12:49

sagacho
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Violet wrote:

Hi all. It's Violet from Salford University in UK.

I am in my second year of studying occupational therapy. Since starting the course last year, I have noticed that whenever we have a break from uni, for example, Easter or summer break, I always stress that I should be doing extra work and in my head everyone else is always studying hard and I struggle to get motivated and organised. I often felt overwhelmed as I wanted to get some extra reading done or research a topic that is of interest to me but somehow I was finding it difficult to organise my time when all of a sudden I had plenty of time. This was making me feel like I was wasting lots of valuable time and trying to convince myself that I needed rest wasn't working.

At the end of August this year when I realised I will be starting my second year soon, I knew I had to start revising so that I feel prepared. I have created a daily timetable in Excel and started scheduling my learning objectives, for example, I would wake up at 6am exercise,breakfast then revise MOHO for 2hrs followed by reading a journal article then reading a chapter in a book I wanted to read over the summer.. by doing this I often found that by 10-11am I had completed many tasks, learned a lot and also did things I enjoy doing (reading books, exercise good for my health). I still carry on with my timetable now we are 3 weeks into the second year of the program and it helps me a lot to feel organised therefore my mind is clearer and I don't panic anymore. It helps me to keep myself balanced and prevents me from unnecessary stress and mood swings. It teaches me self-discipline and determination too. I believe that good self-management skills save us a lot of time,hassle and nerves, therefore I would recommend to other students to spend some time on planning their day as it is possible to study and do other things. Hope this helps other students who often feel overwhelmed by the amount of work that is required from them and the lack of time to do things they enjoy doing.

Hi violet!

I should try your time management technique! I am the type of person who has the tendency to procrastinate. Sometimes I just stare at my computer or the ceiling for an hour. After reading your post, yeah I realized how much we can do in an hour. Here in the Philippines, we're less than two months before we end this semester and everything is happening so fast. We have lots of exams coming, we have papers to do, and we also have many co-curricular activities we have to attend to and I think your tip will be very helpful. I'll try to start scheduling all my activities for the day. Thank you so much! I hope this will work!

Good luck on your second year! I hope I can read more from you. Join us in our next discussion!

Offline

#49 Friday 14th of October 2016 12:49

actan7
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Violet wrote:

Hi all. It's Violet from Salford University in UK.

I am in my second year of studying occupational therapy. Since starting the course last year, I have noticed that whenever we have a break from uni, for example, Easter or summer break, I always stress that I should be doing extra work and in my head everyone else is always studying hard and I struggle to get motivated and organised. I often felt overwhelmed as I wanted to get some extra reading done or research a topic that is of interest to me but somehow I was finding it difficult to organise my time when all of a sudden I had plenty of time. This was making me feel like I was wasting lots of valuable time and trying to convince myself that I needed rest wasn't working.

At the end of August this year when I realised I will be starting my second year soon, I knew I had to start revising so that I feel prepared. I have created a daily timetable in Excel and started scheduling my learning objectives, for example, I would wake up at 6am exercise,breakfast then revise MOHO for 2hrs followed by reading a journal article then reading a chapter in a book I wanted to read over the summer.. by doing this I often found that by 10-11am I had completed many tasks, learned a lot and also did things I enjoy doing (reading books, exercise good for my health). I still carry on with my timetable now we are 3 weeks into the second year of the program and it helps me a lot to feel organised therefore my mind is clearer and I don't panic anymore. It helps me to keep myself balanced and prevents me from unnecessary stress and mood swings. It teaches me self-discipline and determination too. I believe that good self-management skills save us a lot of time,hassle and nerves, therefore I would recommend to other students to spend some time on planning their day as it is possible to study and do other things. Hope this helps other students who often feel overwhelmed by the amount of work that is required from them and the lack of time to do things they enjoy doing.

Hi Violet! I'm Alexia Tan a 2nd year from University of the Philippines Manila.

Like you, I also struggle with productivity. While I do cherish the moments that I am thankfully idle, I do feel that I have wasted a lot of time and that I have to do something. Aside from hating the feeling of idleness, I also struggle with juggling academics and organizational work. Your tip with the timetable seems very interesting. I might have to try it if it helps me manage everything in my life better. Although maybe I'll try going back to my planner instead because I suck at Excel tongue Thanks for the tip Violet!

To other students in the forum, what can you suggest for someone who struggles to balance academic and extra curricular life? What are your experiences and what do you do to keep yourself from being overwhelmed?

Offline

#50 Friday 14th of October 2016 12:52

sdarguson
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Violet wrote:

Hi all. It's Violet from Salford University in UK.

I am in my second year of studying occupational therapy. Since starting the course last year, I have noticed that whenever we have a break from uni, for example, Easter or summer break, I always stress that I should be doing extra work and in my head everyone else is always studying hard and I struggle to get motivated and organised. I often felt overwhelmed as I wanted to get some extra reading done or research a topic that is of interest to me but somehow I was finding it difficult to organise my time when all of a sudden I had plenty of time. This was making me feel like I was wasting lots of valuable time and trying to convince myself that I needed rest wasn't working.

At the end of August this year when I realised I will be starting my second year soon, I knew I had to start revising so that I feel prepared. I have created a daily timetable in Excel and started scheduling my learning objectives, for example, I would wake up at 6am exercise,breakfast then revise MOHO for 2hrs followed by reading a journal article then reading a chapter in a book I wanted to read over the summer.. by doing this I often found that by 10-11am I had completed many tasks, learned a lot and also did things I enjoy doing (reading books, exercise good for my health). I still carry on with my timetable now we are 3 weeks into the second year of the program and it helps me a lot to feel organised therefore my mind is clearer and I don't panic anymore. It helps me to keep myself balanced and prevents me from unnecessary stress and mood swings. It teaches me self-discipline and determination too. I believe that good self-management skills save us a lot of time,hassle and nerves, therefore I would recommend to other students to spend some time on planning their day as it is possible to study and do other things. Hope this helps other students who often feel overwhelmed by the amount of work that is required from them and the lack of time to do things they enjoy doing.


Hi Violet!
I'm Sophia from the University of the Philippines Manila, but everyone else calls me Faye.
I am also in my second year of studying OT. My first year in uni was... overwhelming. I struggled to keep up with everyone, because everything was just so different from high school! Everyone was brilliant, and smart, and I felt so small. I suffered anxiety attacks a lot, and couldn't sleep or take a rest because I kept feeling like I was wasting the time I could have spent studying by resting (which, now I know, was so wrong. So, so wrong.)

I tried my best to fight the anxiety. I tried to change my outlooks in life, while still holding on to those things I really value. I still study a lot, but also tried to manage my time so I could still relax and have fun, as well as spend even a few moments with my friends and family. I haven't tried making a daily time table like yours. I imagine myself just ignoring it afterwards haha. But I do have a planner now, and I hang on to it for dear life.

Thank you so much for sharing! I hope you still get to find time to do occupations you enjoy doing. Best of luck to you over there!

Offline

Board footer