You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Occupational Therapy International Online Network (OTION).

Our goal is to provide an online resource for the international occupational therapy community through this on-line forum.

You will have the opportunity to participate in discussion topics related to your practice area and interact with your international colleagues. A moderator, who will be a resource to the group, monitors each topic.

We look forward to your participation and contribution to international occupational therapy practice.

If you are new, please click here to register. If you have already registered, click here to login.


#51 Friday 14th of October 2016 13:00

sagacho
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

rfgenuino wrote:

Hi this is Ruthie from UPM ^^

I often have difficulty managing my time in college, like most others do. I've never really done anything much outside of regular academics back in high school but now in college I've found so many other things to do outside of just studying. For the first time, I'm genuinely interested in extra-curricular activities and it's interfering with my studies because I'd honestly rather much do those than study.

I also still have problems with studying itself, because I never really developed good study habits before and I'm definitely paying for it now that a lot of our lessons require self-directed learning. I've never really been used to reading long chapters ahead of time before lessons and usually cram a few days before the exams, it's probably about time I've learned haha.

Ruthie!

It's not too late to change our study habits! Huhuhu I also had a hard time adjusting with our workload. I am not also used to reading long chapters for one night and the sad part is we're expected to understand everything the next day. I hope we can adjust to this type of learning because we still have 2 years of doing this. Let's take things one step at time.

I'm really happy that you're exploring and discovering more about yourself. I hope you're enjoying your non-academic activities! But don't forget to give time to your academics! Go go Ruthie! We can do it:)

Last edited by sagacho (Wednesday 16th of November 2016 15:58)

Offline

#52 Friday 14th of October 2016 15:58

Franzes Dizon
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi guys! Franzes again here!!

Before entering college, I've already understood that college would be hard. Knowing this, I still have a hard time balancing my personal life with my academic life. At times, I question myself whether to continue struggle in this course or shift to a different one, and OTION and your insights helped me through all the sleepless nights. Even though its hard, I know it would be worth it once I'm already able to practice all the things on how to be a good Occupational Therapist. Its really amazing that professionals are really happy about what they're doing as OTs. Another problem I have with this degree is that most of the people in Philippines are not aware of its existence. When people ask me what course am I taking in college and tell them that I'm taking Occupational therapy, they start to ask me multiple questions about the degree and I use the professional terms we use during class. Amazingly, they just become more curious about the profession and by the next time we meet, its them telling me about how come people aren't aware of what OT is if everybody could be needing our services and they just don't knw it because they aren't aware of what we really do or even who we are and what we can do to improve their lives.

Offline

#53 Friday 14th of October 2016 16:06

Franzes Dizon
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

esc501 wrote:
shmays wrote:

Hi Pauline! Thanks for continuing student topic threads. One of the more challenging and rewarding aspects of my program at the moment is diversity. In the US, OT is not a diverse profession (e.g. racially, by gender). Classmates and I are currently in challenging discourse on how demographics within our program and profession affect the research produced, the work we do, and the people we serve. We're working on diversity and health equity task initiatives at the moment, but I would love to hear how other OT programs across the globe are tackling issues of diversity, inclusion, and health equity.


Hello :-)

I am currently on a masters course in the UK. I have moved from another profession, and one of the main difficulties I had was explaining to people what I was doing, and people viewing it as not a good move to make - mainly because they misunderstood was Occupational Therapy is about. When explaining it, I have found that people want a quick answer, and that can be hard as I found (and still do find) it good to give examples. It as got a bit easier as I have started the course, because I am becoming more sure of what it is all about. I try to include what occupation means, and talk about working with people who, for various reasons, are finding it difficult to do the things they need or want to do. Followed by a few examples. I'm not claiming this to be the best way, and it has been difficult!

Practical things like moving house, money etc have been difficult, but that was helped by planning before I decided to move over to this course.

Interesting what you say shmays - we have also been talking about the lack of diversity on the course! I know the course does interview and accept international students, but I wonder if it is something to do with who is applying for the course in the first place, and why it isn't a very diverse selection of people who want to apply. I'm sure there are deeper issues here regarding that...perhaps to do with education, stereotypes, aspirations. We have just submitted our research proposals, and I was very aware, as you say, of mine being yet another piece of research from a white, middle-class, Western woman...(!)



Hi! We also experience the same thing in the Philippines, most of OT students are female. When people ask us about what we do, we ourselves are also having a difficult time explaining it in a way they would easily understand. Its very interesting that people from other countries are starting reach other professionals from different countries and I hope this would be start that our profession would soon be known to the whole world, without us needing to explain what we really for they know what we do, our importance, and what we can do to help them in their everyday lives.

Offline

#54 Friday 14th of October 2016 16:16

Alexia Nicole
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi! I'm Lex, BS OT from University of the Philippines - Manila. The biggest challenge for me as a student is occupational balance. As a student-athlete, keeping up with academic works in the morning and training for dance performances at night really made me realize how essential it is to prioritize what you do each day. Rest and stress both make a student reach his potentials but too much or too little of which can effect a chain of problems.

Offline

#55 Friday 14th of October 2016 16:20

Alexia Nicole
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi Ivanna! It also amazes me that as students, we don't only get to learn from professors but most especially from the patients!

Ivanna Co wrote:

Hi! Ivanna here.

The difference between high school and college requirements and exams threw me off track. I was not able to develop good study habits in high school, merely studying a few hours before an exam because I can still get by with good grades. However, I discovered tertiary education is on a completely different scale. Nowadays, I must study at least a week in advance to be able to comprehend the lessons taught.

People most often respond with a blank stare whenever I answer my college course is occupational therapy. They assume that it is the same as PT. Enlightening them gives me satisfaction knowing I can correct some of their misconceptions as well. It is sad to discover that the reason why OT is not widely-known here as the common people cannot afford the long-term service of one. Illustrating them with this saying. "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime" made them able to grasp the value of an Occupational Therapist.

Another problem I deal with is when people find out that BS OT is a pre-med course. They immediately assume that I want to become a doctor in the future. I find that being an OT is already a big contribution to the community, and the scarcity of finding an OT is already a problem in the Philippines.

Although having to study for majority of my waking hours is very tiring and stressful, knowing that I will be able to use the information that I have learned for my clients someday gives me the will to endure through this hardship. In addition, my blockmates are there to support and encourage each other to do our best.

Offline

#56 Friday 14th of October 2016 16:39

Byeul
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi, Lex! Hands down to you for going through each day with your hectic schedule and yet you still manage to maintain being involved in such activities! I think it's also very important for everyone to have a great support system. Being surrounded by people who care for us will be beneficial for our health, self-esteem and perception in life. They allow us to relax a little even once in a while. Don't forget that we, your blockmates, are always here to support you! smile

Alexia Nicole wrote:

Hi! I'm Lex, BS OT from University of the Philippines - Manila. The biggest challenge for me as a student is occupational balance. As a student-athlete, keeping up with academic works in the morning and training for dance performances at night really made me realize how essential it is to prioritize what you do each day. Rest and stress both make a student reach his potentials but too much or too little of which can effect a chain of problems.

Offline

#57 Friday 14th of October 2016 17:06

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi there! I'm Felix Tiburcio and I'm an OT student from the University of the Philippines Manila (UPM)

Throughout my two years of OT education, I've learned that the OT profession and the allied medical professions in general are supposed to uphold a client's quality of life, which is why I found it shocking when one of our professors told us that the majority of student appointments at the Psychiatric Department from our internship hospital (The Philippine General Hospital) come from the College of Allied Medical Professions, where anxiety and depression are common among these students.

It makes you wonder if the course is too challenging and demanding for the students to take or if the program is too condensed for us students to follow. You see, our course was supposed to be a five-year course but our college insisted on condensing it to a four-year course; thus we immediately studied human cadavers in our second year without any prior knowledge of comparative anatomy during our first year. In my opinion, the biggest challenge for us OT students is the somewhat "disjointed" transition from juvenile freshmen immediately to a sophomore who is expected to carry a rather heavy load that our first year wasn't able to prepare us for.

Going back, the weight of the curriculum's demands sometimes get the better of me. Sometimes, the heavy workload makes you question your very position as an OT student, and you just get stuck thinking about it. I'm not saying that I'm depressed or anxious, it's just that sometimes you need time to breathe. Whenever that happens, I just tell myself why I fell in love with OT in the first place. And breathe.

Offline

#58 Saturday 15th of October 2016 05:33

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Felix Isaac Tiburcio wrote:

Hi there! I'm Felix Tiburcio and I'm an OT student from the University of the Philippines Manila (UPM)

Throughout my two years of OT education, I've learned that the OT profession and the allied medical professions in general are supposed to uphold a client's quality of life, which is why I found it shocking when one of our professors told us that the majority of student appointments at the Psychiatric Department from our internship hospital (The Philippine General Hospital) come from the College of Allied Medical Professions, where anxiety and depression are common among these students.

It makes you wonder if the course is too challenging and demanding for the students to take or if the program is too condensed for us students to follow. You see, our course was supposed to be a five-year course but our college insisted on condensing it to a four-year course; thus we immediately studied human cadavers in our second year without any prior knowledge of comparative anatomy during our first year. In my opinion, the biggest challenge for us OT students is the somewhat "disjointed" transition from juvenile freshmen immediately to a sophomore who is expected to carry a rather heavy load that our first year wasn't able to prepare us for.

Going back, the weight of the curriculum's demands sometimes get the better of me. Sometimes, the heavy workload makes you question your very position as an OT student, and you just get stuck thinking about it. I'm not saying that I'm depressed or anxious, it's just that sometimes you need time to breathe. Whenever that happens, I just tell myself why I fell in love with OT in the first place. And breathe.





( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Hey Felix!

I could not agree with you more (ಥ_ʖಥ). I often feel the same way, if not all the time. Things always seem to be hitting us like multiple waves from out of nowhere, and we really cannot avoid these moments of doubt, questioning if the drooping bags under our eyes are really worth it (ಠ▃ಠ).

It shocked me as well to see the irony that we, Allied Med students, are frequenters of psychiatric help (ಠ~ಠ). Add that we OTs are supposed to promote occupational balance, yet we, ourselves, find it difficult to squirm our way to it.

(☉_☉)

The curriculum is no joke. Sometimes, I cannot help but think that we are balanced, not occupationally, but in being drained physically, mentally, and emotionally (⋟﹏⋞). I know that we all had our own fair share of breakdowns, and that people are getting sick left to right. But truth be told, one thing that helps me get going is you guys.



\(≧∇≦)/

WEEEEEEEEEEEEE.



Amidst the sickly feeling, I see people attending class. I see students making the most out of the learning experience CAMP has to offer. I see future OTs with tear-stained cheeks, but a pen in hand, taking down notes. And I have come to realize that this helps me get through my struggles and continue with determination.


(ಥ﹏ಥ)


Now, it makes sense that our environment matters so much. Environmental press, as we OTs call it, is what we unconsciously contribute to each other. We may not notice it, but we guys help each other in more ways than one. And I could not be anymore thankful for being surrounded with a bunch like you guys despite the toxic environment.


( /^▽^)/
Here’s to more inevitable sleepless nights and wonderful experiences together!

Offline

#59 Tuesday 18th of October 2016 09:06

KawJemilyn
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hey Leanne! Thank you for appreciating my mere presence and efforts of surviving. HAHA! Just kidding. I tend to stress out on times when I feel really tired of my schedule but I always remember our lessons about occupational balance and occupational competence, I would really motivate myself like this: "Uh-oh, you don't give up easily, my friend. You still have loads of work to do and you would not want to regret about not performing well in the future. Blah blah blah, to make everything short, YOU CAN DO THIS!"

^ That's powerful for me. Most of the time, I tend to pray for God's help and read from the Daily Bible Verse app in my phone to search for hidden messages from God. (IDK but sometimes it really has those messages that I desperately need!)

Life's a challenge and we shouldn't back down; same with what our profession does, we don't give up on people easily because we dig into mountain and dive into the deepest oceans to discover the most precious treasures, right? smile

Aja! We can do this!

P.S. Thank you for your Jemoticon -_- But I'm not Japanese. tongue



myungderp kiddo wrote:
KawJemilyn wrote:

Hello there! It's me, Jem!

I remember when I was young, my parents let me go to bed at 9:30PM; at that time, I must finish all my assignments and reviewed my subjects for tomorrow's classes. As time passes by, 9:30PM became later and later, until now, 1:30AM seems normal to me. I thought it was just me alone because I need to balance academics and extracurricular activities, but I then discovered, most of my classmates are the same with me. The challenge for me is not getting to sleep when I feel sleepy already; I get to struggle opening my eyes wide in the middle of the night, reviewing or preparing notes for the next day. I also blame myself for getting distracted with social media, yes! I tend to scroll through my Facebook news feed when I rest in between study time (sometimes, I forgot to time myself and tada! Time wasted). Still, I try my best in controlling myself and balance my time.

I used to play piano and attend piano class during Saturdays since I was in kindergarten, it never stopped; but, as soon as I started college, especially during majors this year, I didn't get the chance to visit our music room anymore (it is located in my old school) because I need to catch up with academics, other extracurricular activities and part time job. To my friends who really know me, I am really clingy to music. Not having a chance to touch the piano makes me sad and depressed and what I do to compensate is to at least hum or sing songs everyday so that music won't feel like a stranger to me.

Although I'm deprived of some occupations that I love, I still cheer myself up because I am enjoying the subjects that we're taking for BS Occupational Therapy. Yes, the subjects are hardcore, make us lose our occupational balance, but I still believe that these will really be worth it. I'm kinda thankful for having OTion discussion room as our activity for an subject because conversing with different people makes me happy too! (Yay! You make me happy!)

Do you have some feels with what I have mentioned? Feel free to share them with me! smile

- Jem


ヽ( ・∀・)ノ


Hi Jem-Jem! This is Leanne, your fellow univ-mate!

Woah, just by seeing the load you carry daily, I can't help but marvel at how you could balance all of these; but then, there's always a factor that must be sacrificed, which in most of our cases, is sleep ( ಠ_ಠ). What struck me the greatest about your post was the way you found an alternative route just so you could rekindle your love for music constantly, even in the littlest of ways (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)و.

You know how Filipinos say, "kung ayaw may dahilan, kung gusto parating merong paraan," which just means that if you really like something, there are tons of ways to get it, just as much as there are excuses if you actually don't. I love how that speaks so much of OT, from the viewpoint of a student, all the way to that of a practicing clinician's. A lot of us struggle in the course of our studies. Some of us cannot help but think twice whether OT is really the profession we wish to pursue. In the end, most of us really learn to love it and all its aspects. We find ways (ಠ‿↼) to make things work, even at times when things seem to be crumbling down. As for clinicians, it is a must for them to find the best intervention, to be creative, to improvise, and to find alternatives,
just like what you did for music ♫꒰・◡・๑꒱.



\(◕ฺー≦)/


There will always be drops in our journey. And it is a given that things will never be easy, especially for us OTs. But when everything isn't going our way, and when gulps of caffeine seem to be the only thing binding our stuff up
(눈_눈), we look back to the reason why we're doing all of these *sees flashbacks of Purpose and Meaning Lecture* (◎_◎;)



Let's keep hustlin' because we all know it's gonna be worth it.


(*・∀-)☆



P.S. these emoticons are actually called "Jemoticons" because they're supposedly "Japanese Emoticons" haha

Offline

#60 Sunday 23rd of October 2016 16:30

etalas
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Thank you so much, Kyla! I would consider your suggestion smile

kyla.rocafort wrote:
etalas wrote:

Most of the posts already included problems related to explaining OT to other people, managing time, balancing occupations, being away from home, etc. I don’t know if I’m weird or what but I find having an occupational lens challenging. I’m not even sure if I already developed it but it feels like I already had. All I know is that with occupational lens, you perceive all (without exceptions) person’s action as a product of some other actions. To make it easier, you believe that with any action (bad or good), there is a reason behind, so you have to understand it. At first, I thought that it made me a better person since I’ll no longer be a “judger”. But as soon as I experienced it, I found it challenging. I always say to myself that understanding them is not equal to ignoring their mistakes but I always end up ignoring. I’m not always ignorant, there are times I forget wearing those ‘’occupational lens’’ and the result is my natural self, very straightforward. I always end up regretful. Maybe the reason why I find those kinds of situations challenging and quite frustrating is that I’m just a 2nd year student who is only about to take few major subjects.

Please let me know if you are also experiencing the same challenge as mine so that we can share experiences with each other. smile


Hi, Gale! It’s not weird at all! I sometimes find myself looking through that “occupational lens” too. I think occupational lens is something that each OT students and practitioners should possess. You’re right. It enables us to understand the occupation that holds meaning for a person whether the reason behind is negative. For example, my younger brother loves playing computer games. Of course, our mother would be furious whenever she sees my brother playing. She’ll be generalizing that all that my brother does is to play. Now, I have a special friend who loves playing computer games too. His hobby sometimes gets into my nerves, but recently, I realized that maybe playing computer and video games is something that makes my brother and friend happy. I realized that maybe, this is their way of relaxing. This is their form of play and leisure. So whenever I see my brother and friend playing video games, I automatically understand their actions. However, I see to it that I do not ignore the consequences of their actions just like when they have been playing all day already and forget their other duties and tasks. I try to help them by asking them to set a number of hours to play per day. I also remind them of the duties that they have to fulfill. I share the same experience as you, Gale. smile I have felt the uneasy and confusing feeling you feel whenever faced with a situation. I suggest that you list down all the factors, the pros and the cons in the situation. Be open-minded. Do not be afraid to consider the negative factors because it is only when we identify those can we truly understand and most of all, correct and improve.

I honestly admire you for carrying out the occupational lens in you. Don’t worry about you possessing this as early as second year. We will all be needing and acquiring that in the future because occupational lens is the greatest vision we can have.  It is actually your advantage to attain it as early as now. smile

Offline

#61 Sunday 23rd of October 2016 16:45

etalas
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi Ruthie! Joining extra-curricular activities is a good thing since you will learn a lot from it. But don't forget to set priorities or should I say don't forget to study first? hahaha smile Since you were not able to develop good study habits before, maybe this is the best time to develop it. With good study habits, you will be able to enjoy your extra-curricular activities and acads at the same time. Have fun! smile   

rfgenuino wrote:

Hi this is Ruthie from UPM ^^

I often have difficulty managing my time in college, like most others do. I've never really done anything much outside of regular academics back in high school but now in college I've found so many other things to do outside of just studying. For the first time, I'm genuinely interested in extra-curricular activities and it's interfering with my studies because I'd honestly rather much do those than study.

I also still have problems with studying itself, because I never really developed good study habits before and I'm definitely paying for it now that a lot of our lessons require self-directed learning. I've never really been used to reading long chapters ahead of time before lessons and usually cram a few days before the exams, it's probably about time I've learned haha.

Offline

#62 Wednesday 26th of October 2016 12:24

Sam Agura
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Felix Isaac Tiburcio wrote:

Hi there! I'm Felix Tiburcio and I'm an OT student from the University of the Philippines Manila (UPM)

Throughout my two years of OT education, I've learned that the OT profession and the allied medical professions in general are supposed to uphold a client's quality of life, which is why I found it shocking when one of our professors told us that the majority of student appointments at the Psychiatric Department from our internship hospital (The Philippine General Hospital) come from the College of Allied Medical Professions, where anxiety and depression are common among these students.

It makes you wonder if the course is too challenging and demanding for the students to take or if the program is too condensed for us students to follow. You see, our course was supposed to be a five-year course but our college insisted on condensing it to a four-year course; thus we immediately studied human cadavers in our second year without any prior knowledge of comparative anatomy during our first year. In my opinion, the biggest challenge for us OT students is the somewhat "disjointed" transition from juvenile freshmen immediately to a sophomore who is expected to carry a rather heavy load that our first year wasn't able to prepare us for.

Going back, the weight of the curriculum's demands sometimes get the better of me. Sometimes, the heavy workload makes you question your very position as an OT student, and you just get stuck thinking about it. I'm not saying that I'm depressed or anxious, it's just that sometimes you need time to breathe. Whenever that happens, I just tell myself why I fell in love with OT in the first place. And breathe.

Hi Felix!

I think that the knowledge that a lot of students from our college have appointments for counselling in the Psychiatric ward was a big shock not just to you, but to majority of the class. While it is believable considering how toxic the environment is, it's another thing altogether to find out that it is really happening. This knowledge makes it more real and makes you wonder if there is a need to reassess whether the curriculum demanding too much or if there needs to be a change in the way it is paced.

I feel like a big factor that probably adds to the stress level, in the OT program specifically, is that there no real room for school breaks. Considering the fact that we have required classes to attend during our supposed summer break, we aren't able to fully relax and recharge from schoolwork. This is especially true since there's a lot of information we have to digest for each subject. While we do have holidays within the school year, these are usually spent working on academic requirements instead of unwinding.

Here's to us and hopefully we'll all be able to get through this together.

Offline

#63 Sunday 30th of October 2016 15:47

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

For someone like me who was forced to take a degree that does not really suit my interests, everyday is a serious challenge. Since the start of the semester, all I ever did was to contemplate every morning whether I should get up and attend class or just binge watch K-drama for the rest of my life. During examinations, my motivation to study is absolutely non-existent that I end up sleeping the whole night before the exam without even browsing my notes.

However, recently, while of course procrastinating and browsing through the Internet, I bumped into an online article of the best productivity methods for students, and I thought why not try one just to see if it actually works and partly to check if my laziness can still be helped. Surprisingly, among the three techniques I tried, the famous Pomodoro technique combined with the GTD method worked really well and helped me progress on my academic tasks and org works without losing my mind. You might want to also try them whenever you are feeling lazy and overwhelmed with your responsibilities.

Here in the Philippines, occupational therapy is not yet a well-known profession that you can expect people to often mistake it for physical therapy or even massage therapy. Whenever I try to explain what occupational therapy is, what I never fail to mention is that we help people to do the things that are meaningful and important to them through the therapeutic use of everyday activities. Usually, a few examples follow this explanation so that they can really understand what I want to say, but trying to compare and contrast it with physical therapy is very helpful in clarifying questions that they may have about the practice.

Spending time with my family is an occupation I didn’t realize until now is very important to me. Going home to the province every weekend is something that I always took for granted before, but now that more is expected from me in college, I end up staying in Manila most of the time when all I look forward to every week is to be with them. Of all the things that I do, I consider this the most important and most satisfying. Being reunited with them gives me the strength and motivation to overcome all the difficulties I face in college.

Offline

#64 Monday 31st of October 2016 00:17

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi Violet!

I hope you're doing great. Are you still able to keep up with your timetable?

I figured that you might also want to try the Pomodoro technique which surprisingly works really well for me. For college students like us, time is an enemy. We race against the clock to finish our assignments and meet deadlines that it’s pretty easy for some, as you may have experienced to end up feeling like they can’t enjoy their free time if they haven’t had a productive day. Let me share with you this awesome method.

The Pomodoro technique allows you to calculate the value of your time, plan your pomodoro sessions accordingly and then work to that plan to deliver a balanced outcome. In this way, you can meet your time frame and value targets, improving productivity. It can also help you power through distractions, hyper-focus, and get things done in short bursts while taking frequent breaks to come up for air and relax.

The main premise behind the technique is to work in blocks of time, typically 25 minutes long called pomodoro sessions, followed by a 5 minute break. Each pomodoro session should demand your full attention on one task while every break requires you to step away from your work to rest. After four pomodoros have passed meaning 100 minutes of work time with 15 minutes of break time, you then take a 15 to 20 minute break. Do not forget to  mark your progress with an "X" every time you finish a pomodoro and also note the number of times you had the impulse to procrastinate or switch gears to work on another task for each 25-minute chunk of time.

The process is very simple, right? Not to mention that all you need is a timer. Best regards!

Violet wrote:

Hi all. It's Violet from Salford University in UK.

I am in my second year of studying occupational therapy. Since starting the course last year, I have noticed that whenever we have a break from uni, for example, Easter or summer break, I always stress that I should be doing extra work and in my head everyone else is always studying hard and I struggle to get motivated and organised. I often felt overwhelmed as I wanted to get some extra reading done or research a topic that is of interest to me but somehow I was finding it difficult to organise my time when all of a sudden I had plenty of time. This was making me feel like I was wasting lots of valuable time and trying to convince myself that I needed rest wasn't working.

At the end of August this year when I realised I will be starting my second year soon, I knew I had to start revising so that I feel prepared. I have created a daily timetable in Excel and started scheduling my learning objectives, for example, I would wake up at 6am exercise,breakfast then revise MOHO for 2hrs followed by reading a journal article then reading a chapter in a book I wanted to read over the summer.. by doing this I often found that by 10-11am I had completed many tasks, learned a lot and also did things I enjoy doing (reading books, exercise good for my health). I still carry on with my timetable now we are 3 weeks into the second year of the program and it helps me a lot to feel organised therefore my mind is clearer and I don't panic anymore. It helps me to keep myself balanced and prevents me from unnecessary stress and mood swings. It teaches me self-discipline and determination too. I believe that good self-management skills save us a lot of time,hassle and nerves, therefore I would recommend to other students to spend some time on planning their day as it is possible to study and do other things. Hope this helps other students who often feel overwhelmed by the amount of work that is required from them and the lack of time to do things they enjoy doing.

Offline

#65 Tuesday 15th of November 2016 16:39

RichardIrvin
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi!

I guess one challenge that I encountered is that occupational therapy is kind of subjective. When I was in high school, I'm used to taking objective type exams, knowing a right and wrong answer. In OT, it becomes a bit trickier. Since OTs work with people, people are different from each other. No two people are the same. So doing assessments and the data collected while observing them aren't necessarily wrong. My professors say that there is what therapists call "normal range." From them, I learned that two people can be completely different, but can both be normal.

Offline

#66 Tuesday 15th of November 2016 17:28

Noel Nicanor
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

spvillarama@up.edu.ph wrote:

Here in the Philippines, occupational therapy is not yet a well-known profession that you can expect people to often mistake it for physical therapy or even massage therapy. Whenever I try to explain what occupational therapy is, what I never fail to mention is that we help people to do the things that are meaningful and important to them through the therapeutic use of everyday activities. Usually, a few examples follow this explanation so that they can really understand what I want to say, but trying to compare and contrast it with physical therapy is very helpful in clarifying questions that they may have about the practice.

Hi Sophie! I couldn't agree with you more! I don't really have any problems discussing what Occupational Therapy is to my family members because most of them graduated with courses related to providing quality healthcare and services. The problem now is to explain it to those who are yet to know and understand what OT is. We also face the same problems in them immediately associating OT to massage therapy; much so that my batchmates in high school seriously asked me whether I learn how to provide a good massage in this course. This kind of ignorance towards our future profession can only serve as fuel to further promote OT as another integral piece in providing for proper healthcare. I also never forget to mention that we always aim for the reintegration of our patients back to society because I believe this is what OT really is about.

spvillarama@up.edu.ph wrote:

For someone like me who was forced to take a degree that does not really suit my interests, everyday is a serious challenge. Since the start of the semester, all I ever did was to contemplate every morning whether I should get up and attend class or just binge watch K-drama for the rest of my life. During examinations, my motivation to study is absolutely non-existent that I end up sleeping the whole night before the exam without even browsing my notes.

I wasn't really forced into it, but it was just suggested to me by my mom when I felt lost finishing the college application forms. What I can suggest for you though is too try and chase after what really makes your heart beat with excitement when you engage in that occupation. It's never too late, I guess. But if for some reason you can't leave, try to look for something appealing in OT for you and then make that as your source of motivation to finish this course. It's never easy, but it might be worth the try. smile Good luck to you!

Offline

#67 Wednesday 16th of November 2016 03:17

dbamparado
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hello! I'm from the Philippines. As an OT student here, we find our selves levelled with the misconception that we are masseuses instead of actual medical practitioners. People also find a hard time differentiating us from PTs.

When I was in the US, I was pleasantly surprised that a lot of people knew exactly what occupational therapists do. In the Philippines, however, we don't have quite the same setting. I think the problem lies with our advertising. I do concede to the fact that the OT practice here is fairly young but it's a greater reason for us to educate people and use social media as a tool to make our profession known widely. Should this be done on a large scale, I think OT students here would be able to explore more opportunities for intervention and be appreciated by and aid to a larger population.

How is your OT practice blooming in your country?

Offline

#68 Thursday 17th of November 2016 04:22

Noel Nicanor
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi! Noel here again. Aside from the common problem that us students here in the Philippines experience, that being OT is easily mistook for massage therapy or even physical therapy, another challenge that I see here is how occupational therapy in the Philippines is still leaning towards a more westernized approach and as a student, it becomes harder to look for researches that are Philippine based. We were taught this semester that in developing intervention plans, context must be heavily considered so it would be very helpful and important for the Philippines to develop its own definition and perception of what counts as an occupation in a filipino context.  Despite the Philippines being one of the first in Asia to include OT in the healthcare services being provided, the profession is yet to find its strong foothold in the medical field here. There are still a lot of misconceptions and a general lack of knowledge among the people.

Other asian countries have already placed OT in higher regard as an integral part in providing care for those who need its services. An example would be Japan with their highly advanced Geriatric Rehabilitation. I guess the root cause of this problem is the ongoing trend of Filipino graduates to migrate to other countries who present arguably better job opportunities. This in turn only hinders the growth of the profession here in our country.

How about you guys? What other challenges are you experiencing as an OT student?

Offline

#69 Thursday 17th of November 2016 18:52

NDYOWAAWE
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Good evening everybody here!
I hope you're doing well! Apologies that ive been away for sometime!
However my time in school we experienced a wide range of challenges as OT students especially from our medical care system which dominates here!
One is that it was hard for me as a student to apply all the OT perspectives because some patients were discharged without other multidisciplinary team members awareness even in the planning process OT is rarely recognized
2.  The clinicial and placement hours were reduced due to limited funding from our government. So students have to go for self organized placement in holidays
3. It is very hard apply OT as its in western concept but weve adapted to make it more applicable in African settings

Offline

#70 Saturday 19th of November 2016 14:21

Ivanna Co
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Felix Isaac Tiburcio wrote:

Hi there! I'm Felix Tiburcio and I'm an OT student from the University of the Philippines Manila (UPM)

Throughout my two years of OT education, I've learned that the OT profession and the allied medical professions in general are supposed to uphold a client's quality of life, which is why I found it shocking when one of our professors told us that the majority of student appointments at the Psychiatric Department from our internship hospital (The Philippine General Hospital) come from the College of Allied Medical Professions, where anxiety and depression are common among these students.

It makes you wonder if the course is too challenging and demanding for the students to take or if the program is too condensed for us students to follow. You see, our course was supposed to be a five-year course but our college insisted on condensing it to a four-year course; thus we immediately studied human cadavers in our second year without any prior knowledge of comparative anatomy during our first year. In my opinion, the biggest challenge for us OT students is the somewhat "disjointed" transition from juvenile freshmen immediately to a sophomore who is expected to carry a rather heavy load that our first year wasn't able to prepare us for.

Going back, the weight of the curriculum's demands sometimes get the better of me. Sometimes, the heavy workload makes you question your very position as an OT student, and you just get stuck thinking about it. I'm not saying that I'm depressed or anxious, it's just that sometimes you need time to breathe. Whenever that happens, I just tell myself why I fell in love with OT in the first place. And breathe.

Hi Felix!

It is disheartening to hear that the very advocates of occupational balance are also those who are struggling with it. However, the fact that these students make appointments in the hospital means that they also value their holistic beings and are willing to address their problems.

While the 4-year OT curriculum in UPM is considerably heavy compared to the other universities' 5-year curriculum, this just means that we can also start working a year earlier. An additional year to contribute more to the people who are in need of an OT. That is what I tell myself when I start complaining about the heavy workload we have to endure. Also, play, leisure, and rest are occupations as well, so take some time to do these and refresh yourself smile We can do this!

Offline

#71 Sunday 20th of November 2016 08:38

GeNaldoza
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hello! I'm Geraldine smile

Pursuing a college a college degree is really challenging. You have to have the courage to continue despite all the boulders you're facing and the heart to do whatever it takes to excel at what you. Personally, I had a hard time balancing out my academics and org. I also took my health for granted: slept late and woke up early. It is really challenging to be a functional human being while being sick with colds or even a fever. Really we should be productive and have time management but whenever you feel tired, it is okay to rest but never quit! wink

Offline

#72 Sunday 20th of November 2016 10:19

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

NDYOWAAWE wrote:

Good evening everybody here!
I hope you're doing well! Apologies that ive been away for sometime!
However my time in school we experienced a wide range of challenges as OT students especially from our medical care system which dominates here!
One is that it was hard for me as a student to apply all the OT perspectives because some patients were discharged without other multidisciplinary team members awareness even in the planning process OT is rarely recognized
2.  The clinicial and placement hours were reduced due to limited funding from our government. So students have to go for self organized placement in holidays
3. It is very hard apply OT as its in western concept but weve adapted to make it more applicable in African settings




Good day, @NDYOWAAWE!


(^____^)/



It must have been hard to experience these altogether. Here in the Philippines, OT barely reaches those in the provinces that is why only a limited number of people get to acquire OT services and interventions. Also, OTs are somehow treated as inferior to doctors in such a way that we cannot facilitate OT to a client without a doctor's prescription.



:'(



I guess OTs are quite underrated here as well ; many people do not know what OT actually is.



sad


Looking on the bright side, it is great to hear that you have adapted OT to fit Africa's setting. I greatly admire that initiative, and I do hope that someday, we could make our own concepts as well without having to rely so much on the Western side.



big_smile



What concepts have you altered and how were you able to do these?

Offline

#73 Sunday 20th of November 2016 10:24

actan7
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

NDYOWAAWE wrote:

Good evening everybody here!
I hope you're doing well! Apologies that ive been away for sometime!
However my time in school we experienced a wide range of challenges as OT students especially from our medical care system which dominates here!
One is that it was hard for me as a student to apply all the OT perspectives because some patients were discharged without other multidisciplinary team members awareness even in the planning process OT is rarely recognized
2.  The clinicial and placement hours were reduced due to limited funding from our government. So students have to go for self organized placement in holidays
3. It is very hard apply OT as its in western concept but weve adapted to make it more applicable in African settings

Hi! It's very interesting to note that some of the challenges that the OT profession faces in our country is also similar to what you guys face in yours. It can be disheartening that sometimes we aren't recognized by the health professionals community. Some professionals do a double take when we tell them we are OTs and have to ask us what we do. Sometimes they compare us to PTs and leave it at that.

I find it sad that you're having such a hard time with your clinical and placement hours. It's very discouraging that your own government is limiting your capacity to serve your clients. I have to commend you guys for taking initiative and doing something about your situation however.

Same here in the Philippines. Since most OT/OS studies are Western based, we have to adapt them as well to fit the Filipino setting. I hope that in the future more studies from different countries will be published so that the profession will grow more.

Offline

#74 Monday 21st of November 2016 03:33

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

KawJemilyn wrote:

Hello there! It's me, Jem!

I remember when I was young, my parents let me go to bed at 9:30PM; at that time, I must finish all my assignments and reviewed my subjects for tomorrow's classes. As time passes by, 9:30PM became later and later, until now, 1:30AM seems normal to me. I thought it was just me alone because I need to balance academics and extracurricular activities, but I then discovered, most of my classmates are the same with me. The challenge for me is not getting to sleep when I feel sleepy already; I get to struggle opening my eyes wide in the middle of the night, reviewing or preparing notes for the next day. I also blame myself for getting distracted with social media, yes! I tend to scroll through my Facebook news feed when I rest in between study time (sometimes, I forgot to time myself and tada! Time wasted). Still, I try my best in controlling myself and balance my time.

I used to play piano and attend piano class during Saturdays since I was in kindergarten, it never stopped; but, as soon as I started college, especially during majors this year, I didn't get the chance to visit our music room anymore (it is located in my old school) because I need to catch up with academics, other extracurricular activities and part time job. To my friends who really know me, I am really clingy to music. Not having a chance to touch the piano makes me sad and depressed and what I do to compensate is to at least hum or sing songs everyday so that music won't feel like a stranger to me.

Although I'm deprived of some occupations that I love, I still cheer myself up because I am enjoying the subjects that we're taking for BS Occupational Therapy. Yes, the subjects are hardcore, make us lose our occupational balance, but I still believe that these will really be worth it. I'm kinda thankful for having OTion discussion room as our activity for an subject because conversing with different people makes me happy too! (Yay! You make me happy!)

Do you have some feels with what I have mentioned? Feel free to share them with me! smile

- Jem

Hi Jemilyn! I feel occupationally deprived most of the time too! I oftentimes place such emphasis on my studies and academic life that I often neglect other basic life necessities such as eating. I know this isn't healthy but I end up doing it for the sake of what I think is right. I hope that one day, I'll achieve the Occupational balance that I'm yearning so hard to achieve though smile

Offline

#75 Tuesday 22nd of November 2016 17:50

dbamparado
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Noel Nicanor wrote:

Hi! Noel here again. Aside from the common problem that us students here in the Philippines experience, that being OT is easily mistook for massage therapy or even physical therapy, another challenge that I see here is how occupational therapy in the Philippines is still leaning towards a more westernized approach and as a student, it becomes harder to look for researches that are Philippine based. We were taught this semester that in developing intervention plans, context must be heavily considered so it would be very helpful and important for the Philippines to develop its own definition and perception of what counts as an occupation in a filipino context.  Despite the Philippines being one of the first in Asia to include OT in the healthcare services being provided, the profession is yet to find its strong foothold in the medical field here. There are still a lot of misconceptions and a general lack of knowledge among the people.

Other asian countries have already placed OT in higher regard as an integral part in providing care for those who need its services. An example would be Japan with their highly advanced Geriatric Rehabilitation. I guess the root cause of this problem is the ongoing trend of Filipino graduates to migrate to other countries who present arguably better job opportunities. This in turn only hinders the growth of the profession here in our country.

How about you guys? What other challenges are you experiencing as an OT student?

Hi Noel! I see that you've mentioned geriatric rehab. Just out of curiosity, what OT field are you most interested in?

Offline

Board footer