You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Occupational Therapy International Online Network (OTION).

Our goal is to provide an online resource for the international occupational therapy community through this on-line forum.

You will have the opportunity to participate in discussion topics related to your practice area and interact with your international colleagues. A moderator, who will be a resource to the group, monitors each topic.

We look forward to your participation and contribution to international occupational therapy practice.

If you are new, please click here to register. If you have already registered, click here to login.

#1 Friday 10th of June 2016 20:06

lilialjara
Interim PCo Research WFOT

What is the greatest challenge currently facing our profession?

And how can research help us overcome it? Leave us your thoughts, comments or experiences!

Liliana

#2 Wednesday 15th of June 2016 15:47

Huget

Re: What is the greatest challenge currently facing our profession?

Being able to present a valuable OT profile in extra-mural settings and build an identity as health care provider that can support patients and other caregivers to bridge the gap between health care and participation (work, communicty acitivities,...)

#3 Thursday 16th of June 2016 23:44

NDYOWAAWE

Me I can say that we need more research to be done by we ourselves as OTs for the purposes of future use.
Currently I think after school I'll be more into research

Best regards
Ndyowaawe

#4 Monday 20th of June 2016 20:48

lilialjara

Hello Huget and Ndyowaawe,

Thank you for joining!

I really appreciate your perspectives. I agree, we need to engage in more occupational therapy- driven research, that can position the profession within the health care settings and beyond, highlighting the unique value of OT! Please feel free to invite others to join this important conversation!

Liliana

#5 Monday 27th of June 2016 21:39

I am working within an intellectual disability service and the biggest challenge at present is highlighting the broad role of OT within this area and its importance.

#6 Monday 18th of July 2016 19:49

ajema

I will prioritize research work in OT should be a concern. But, besides this, more precisely in terms of my country, lack of manpower and provision of training by the OTs from specialized fields who are recognized by internationally are the problems that we are mostly dealing.

#7 Thursday 21st of July 2016 16:45

lilialjara

Yes! It seems that showcasing the added value of occupational therapy is a global challenge. And one in which research has an important role!

Liliana

#8 Tuesday 2nd of August 2016 10:21

GemmaOTPhD

I think one of our greatest challenges at present is our need to refocus on our core ethos of occupation, including how we define this and how we can ensure this is maintained and promoted in practice.  For many years we have fallen in line with the parameters of the services which employ us, even when this encourages us to take a more bottom up approach (not starting with occupation).  I am not suggesting that this is an easy task but I do think this would help to strengthen the understanding and value attributed to Occupational Therapy.

Gemma

#9 Friday 6th of January 2017 15:21

chichayatf

Decoding the OT language for others/general population to understand our way of thinking & doing things is sometimes difficult. Research along these lines could go a long way in propping the OT profile which i feel is still very low in many settings......

#10 Sunday 2nd of July 2017 09:59

A big question indeed!

If we're to have allegiance to the occupational needs and rights of people we live amidst, a big challenge is being comfortable with the way things are. We need some restlessness to drive us to step up, stretch, or sustain us to then face the other professional challenges.

Research for specific interventions with specific populations helps to document "what works". Research with a spirit of appreciative enquiry re "how it works" to face professional challenges could be very helpful for practitioners to see a way forward. And to see that addressing these professional challenges is within our reach and responsibility too.

(To re-look at ourselves, our practice, and place in the community, most of us need an opportunity to "see" differently before we can be or do differently. Research can shape how we "see" . . .)

Sincerely,
Clarissa

Settlement Services Coordinator, Migrant Resource Centre. All views my own. Sporadic tweets from Tasmania @ClarissaAdriel

Board footer