You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Occupational Therapy International Online Network (OTION).

Our goal is to provide an online resource for the international occupational therapy community through this on-line forum.

You will have the opportunity to participate in discussion topics related to your practice area and interact with your international colleagues. A moderator, who will be a resource to the group, monitors each topic.

We look forward to your participation and contribution to international occupational therapy practice.

If you are new, please click here to register. If you have already registered, click here to login.


#1 Sunday 21st of August 2016 03:36

Meg
Member

Fieldwork Experiences

Wow. I'll be the first to start a new topic. smile

Hi, everyone. Hope you're doing well. These questions are for those who are currently doing (or starting) their fieldwork rotations. What kind of settings were you placed in, and how was your experience there? What was the level of involvement for fieldwork students (things allowed to do, not allowed to do, or observation only)?

I've completed 3 fieldwork level 1 rotations (geriatrics, physical dysfunction, and mental health), and I'll be starting my 4th rotation (pediatrics) in September. I won't go into all my fieldwork experiences (a lot of stories, not enough space to tell. Haha). My favorite rotation was my first one, geriatrics. I was placed at a small hand clinic, and I was heavily involved in assisting the CHT/OT with treatment. Mostly helped out with modalities and stretching, but I learned so much, met a lot of awesome patients, and got to practice a lot of screenings and assessments I was learning that semester.

I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you!

- Meg

Offline

#2 Thursday 25th of August 2016 09:38

esc501
Member

Re: Fieldwork Experiences

Hi,

I am studying in the North East of England, on a masters course. I have only done one placement so far. I was in the community, in adult social care. We visited people in their homes to assess for equipment and adaptations. I was allowed to do initial assessments and complete requests for equipment and some other things e.g. communication over phone, once I felt comfortable and with supervision. I spent time with OTs, OTAs, and people in other roles like social workers. The impression I get from other people in my course was that it depends on the setting, the opportunities that arose, and whether the educator felt people were ready to try more. We were given the impression from the uni that it could be mostly observation in the first placement, but that wasn't the case for some of us I know, who got more involved than that. So seems a bit of a mixture really!

Hope this helps :-)

Offline

#3 Thursday 25th of August 2016 17:04

Meg
Member

Re: Fieldwork Experiences

esc501 wrote:

Hi,

I am studying in the North East of England, on a masters course. I have only done one placement so far. I was in the community, in adult social care. We visited people in their homes to assess for equipment and adaptations. I was allowed to do initial assessments and complete requests for equipment and some other things e.g. communication over phone, once I felt comfortable and with supervision. I spent time with OTs, OTAs, and people in other roles like social workers. The impression I get from other people in my course was that it depends on the setting, the opportunities that arose, and whether the educator felt people were ready to try more. We were given the impression from the uni that it could be mostly observation in the first placement, but that wasn't the case for some of us I know, who got more involved than that. So seems a bit of a mixture really!

Hope this helps :-)

Hi!

Thanks for replying, and it's nice to meet you. It's about the same over here in the U.S., too. Depends on the setting and where students are placed. I was placed in a hospital for one rotation, and it was mostly observation. Haven't done home care and home visits yet, but some of my classmates have. They had some interesting stories.

Is there a particular setting or rotation you're excited or nervous for?

Offline

#4 Thursday 22nd of September 2016 17:23

esc501
Member

Re: Fieldwork Experiences

Hello I'm sorry for not replying! I didn't get a notification so only just checked...

I am nervous about hospital setting. I think I will find the pace and general atmosphere stressful :s we will see I suppose!

I am excited about having a placement with children/adolescents, as I was a school teacher and am still interested in working with young people.

How about you?

Offline

#5 Tuesday 27th of September 2016 16:40

shmays
Moderator

Re: Fieldwork Experiences

Hi Meg!

Thanks for using the student forum! What university do you attend?

I'm a 2nd year MSOT student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I completed two level I fieldwork rotations, the first in a pediatric outpatient clinic and the 2nd at a private psychiatric clinic in Cape Town, South Africa. My international fieldwork experience was super rewarding, and it allowed me to explore new ways of imagining occupation and OT within a different cultural lens.

I'm still trying to figure out which direction I want to go in post-graduation, but community mental health is a strong interest for me!

Offline

#6 Thursday 9th of February 2017 22:34

Meg
Member

Re: Fieldwork Experiences

esc501 wrote:

Hello I'm sorry for not replying! I didn't get a notification so only just checked...

I am nervous about hospital setting. I think I will find the pace and general atmosphere stressful :s we will see I suppose!

I am excited about having a placement with children/adolescents, as I was a school teacher and am still interested in working with young people.

How about you?

Hello! I apologize for my late reply. I'm almost finished with my first Level 2 rotation at a subacute facility.

I heard hospital settings can be intense. Some of my classmates are doing their Level 2 rotation at hospitals, and they told me that it was a big adjustment the first few weeks since there's so much going on. I think your experience as a teacher will be very valuable during your pediatrics rotation! I'm still trying to get a good feel as to what setting I would like to work in. We'll see!

Hope you're doing well!

Meg

Offline

#7 Thursday 9th of February 2017 22:39

Meg
Member

Re: Fieldwork Experiences

shmays wrote:

Hi Meg!

Thanks for using the student forum! What university do you attend?

I'm a 2nd year MSOT student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I completed two level I fieldwork rotations, the first in a pediatric outpatient clinic and the 2nd at a private psychiatric clinic in Cape Town, South Africa. My international fieldwork experience was super rewarding, and it allowed me to explore new ways of imagining occupation and OT within a different cultural lens.

I'm still trying to figure out which direction I want to go in post-graduation, but community mental health is a strong interest for me!

Hello!

Sorry for my late reply! I attend Long Island University in Brooklyn, NY.

Wow! That's amazing you had a fieldwork rotation abroad! I would love to hear about your experiences and how you went about setting that up. I did a 1-week volunteering experience in Belize, Central America last year. It opened my eyes as to the different ways people live and the things I still need to learn.

I feel the same way about direction post-graduation, but I'm warming up to the idea of working with kids. We'll see after I complete my pediatrics rotation! Haha.

Hope you're doing well!

Meg

Offline

Board footer