You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Occupational Therapy International Online Network (OTION).

Our goal is to provide an online resource for the international occupational therapy community through this on-line forum.

You will have the opportunity to participate in discussion topics related to your practice area and interact with your international colleagues. A moderator, who will be a resource to the group, monitors each topic.

We look forward to your participation and contribution to international occupational therapy practice.

If you are new, please click here to register. If you have already registered, click here to login.

#76 Tuesday 16th of May 2017 20:28

Joana Akrofi

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 2: Challenges encountered as a Student

Hi! I'm Joana. I live in Ghana, Africa. Occupational therapy is very new here. When i started the course there were no practicing clinicians but fortunately the first batch of undergraduate students just graduated and are practicing as interns.
However I still feel handicapped as an OT student because my theoritical knowledge surpasses my practical knowledge. There are few people to look up to.
The OT department in my school is also understaffed with just two OTs lecturing. It's really a trying and crippling experience as I always wonder if I can rub shoulders with colleague OTs around the world.
To make matters worse, occupational therapy here is being threatened by physical therapy which is more established in the country as the professional demarcations are blurrer by the day.

#77 Monday 12th of June 2017 06:04

Meg

Wow. I'm super late to this thread. But I hope it's still active!

I'm currently undergoing my 3rd Level 2 rotation in Mental Health. I start at a new site tomorrow, so I'm both nervous and excited. One of the things I find difficult is overall time management. I find it particularly difficult to keep up with the paperwork and doing homework assigned by my clinical instructor, but I make sure to get them done on time. I would love to partake in my leisure activities (I have a lot of hobbies. Haha), but I just don't really have the time. I mostly spend my free time watching youtube videos now.

I definitely have some funny and interesting stories from fieldwork though. During a rotation at a school-based setting, my previous clinical instructor wanted me to define OT to a student (which I find more challenging than explaining OT to an adult. Still working on it though!). So I was discussing it with one of the 4th grade students on my caseload when he defined OT as "helping kids learn skills and things so they can do better in school." I just looked at my clinical instructor and told her, "He defined OT in a school-based setting better than I did." I definitely learn new things from them! Haha.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well! Looking forward to reading more.

- Meg

#78 Monday 12th of June 2017 06:15

Meg

Joana Akrofi wrote:

Hi! I'm Joana. I live in Ghana, Africa. Occupational therapy is very new here. When i started the course there were no practicing clinicians but fortunately the first batch of undergraduate students just graduated and are practicing as interns.
However I still feel handicapped as an OT student because my theoritical knowledge surpasses my practical knowledge. There are few people to look up to.
The OT department in my school is also understaffed with just two OTs lecturing. It's really a trying and crippling experience as I always wonder if I can rub shoulders with colleague OTs around the world.
To make matters worse, occupational therapy here is being threatened by physical therapy which is more established in the country as the professional demarcations are blurrer by the day.

Hi, Joana. It's nice to meet you!

It sounds very frustrating, especially with limited resources and staff. But I'm glad that OT is being established in your country. You and your classmates are like the pioneers of OT there.

If it makes you feel better, in the US, we're still explaining OT to patients/clients and how we differ from PT. It's getting better, but it's still a work in progress. I find that it helps to have a solid definition of OT in different settings and what we contribute to the team. And the beauty of living in this generation is that you have a lot of resources online and can easily get in touch with other OTs, OTAs, and OTSs. Feel free to reach out to us for any questions! smile

Board footer