You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Occupational Therapy International Online Network (OTION).

Our goal is to provide an online resource for the international occupational therapy community through this on-line forum.

You will have the opportunity to participate in discussion topics related to your practice area and interact with your international colleagues. A moderator, who will be a resource to the group, monitors each topic.

We look forward to your participation and contribution to international occupational therapy practice.

If you are new, please click here to register. If you have already registered, click here to login.


#101 Tuesday 4th of October 2016 14:16

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Hi Sam. Sorry it took me a long time to reply. Me too. I am not yet 100% sure if I will pursue developmental pediatrics, but right now, I find it really interesting smile

sagacho wrote:
Maria Nicole Sombillo wrote:

Hello everyone! I'm Nicole again, from University of the Philippines, Manila. As a 2nd year OT student, I was inspired by a professor and now I'm becoming very much interested in the field Developmental Pediatrics. I want to know more about it. Is anyone else interested in specializing as a developmental pediatrician? smile

Hi Nicole! I also wanted to be a Developmental Pediatrician. However, as I continue my OT program I am developing more passion with OT. We'll never know... I might reconsider Dev Ped again.

Offline

#102 Tuesday 4th of October 2016 14:18

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Nicole here again! Wow! It feels nice to get to know you all and your stories! smile

Offline

#103 Tuesday 4th of October 2016 21:00

Meg
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Naja Forchhammer OT wrote:

Hey Meg,
I just saw your message smile
Yeah, we have a lot of options to do exchange in other countries. I have really enjoyed those experiences. I have learned so much about cultures, myself and of course OT.

Did you also do an OT exchange?


Meg wrote:
Naja Forchhammer OT wrote:

Hey guys smile
I'm Naja, a 27 year old OT student from the Metropolitan University in Copenhagen, Denmark.
I'm very interested in OT, and I think it's amazing how you learn to help people live a meaningful life, no matter where they're from or what they need help with.
I've been doing exchange in both Berlin, Germany, and in Parnaiba, Brazil. In October I'll start writing my thesis about OT and yoga and will be finishing my education in January 2017.
Besides studying I'm running an Instagram account (regarding me and my work as an OT), and a Facebook page. At the moment I'm preparing different posts for the Global ADHD Awareness Month, which will take place in the month of October. If any of you are interested in following it, you can find it under Naja Forchhammer on Facebook smile

If you've any questions, please feel free to ask smile


Best regards Naja.

Hi, Naja

It's really interesting that you're doing exchanges in Germany and in Brazil. Is it part of your fieldwork rotations?

I also checked out your Instagram, and I'm now following. big_smile Best of luck with writing your thesis and graduating!

- Meg

Hi, Naja

Sorry for my late reply. I'm actually not sure if my program has international exchanges other than the 1 week service learning trip to Belize in Central America. I only know that we have out of state changes (My program is in the US). It's awesome that you get to travel and experience different cultures!

- Meg

Offline

#104 Saturday 8th of October 2016 16:15

etalas
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Hello Naja! I'm Gale smile First, I would like to thank this forum (I mean, its facilitators smile ) because I'm starting to meet amazing people who are passionate in our profession (OT) like you. It motivates me a lot! I'm just curious on how you met/knew OT and how well it was explained to that you became really interested on it. Hope you can share the story! Your thesis is very timely, even in our country where yoga is famous for being a stress-reliever. I've only experienced doing yoga once and I liked it! You're just about to finish your education but it seems like you've experienced a lot. Congratulations!

I've already visited your IG feed and it is awesome. My favorite posts are those of biking and waterfall smile By the way, do not attempt to follow me back on IG because I only have one post related to OT, others are of no importance hahahaha.

Naja Forchhammer OT wrote:

Hey guys smile
I'm Naja, a 27 year old OT student from the Metropolitan University in Copenhagen, Denmark.
I'm very interested in OT, and I think it's amazing how you learn to help people live a meaningful life, no matter where they're from or what they need help with.
I've been doing exchange in both Berlin, Germany, and in Parnaiba, Brazil. In October I'll start writing my thesis about OT and yoga and will be finishing my education in January 2017.
Besides studying I'm running an Instagram account (regarding me and my work as an OT), and a Facebook page. At the moment I'm preparing different posts for the Global ADHD Awareness Month, which will take place in the month of October. If any of you are interested in following it, you can find it under Naja Forchhammer on Facebook smile

If you've any questions, please feel free to ask smile


Best regards Naja.

Offline

#105 Saturday 8th of October 2016 20:47

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Hi, My name is Tamara.
I am a first year student (only 6 weeks in) at a public college in California, USA. I am enjoying the foundation being laid. I am mostly studying the history of OT, doing a lot of personal reflection, and occupational analysis. I also have an occupations across the lifespan class and practicum (level 1 fieldwork) this semester. While it can be confusing how it all fits together, we are often encouraged to just trust the process. (The prereqs before applying to our program were Anatomy, Physiology, Neuroanatomy, sociology, psychology, statistics and a skills course.)
I was a massage therapist, working at the same spa for 20 years. Also, my mom had a stroke early last year and I was her caregiver for almost a year and a half. I only wish I knew as much then as I do now! But it was a great learning ewxperience having the home health agency send PTs, OT, and speech therapists to my home to work with my mom.

Offline

#106 Monday 10th of October 2016 16:57

pdregalario
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

spatam@msn.com wrote:

Hi, My name is Tamara.
I am a first year student (only 6 weeks in) at a public college in California, USA. I am enjoying the foundation being laid. I am mostly studying the history of OT, doing a lot of personal reflection, and occupational analysis. I also have an occupations across the lifespan class and practicum (level 1 fieldwork) this semester. While it can be confusing how it all fits together, we are often encouraged to just trust the process. (The prereqs before applying to our program were Anatomy, Physiology, Neuroanatomy, sociology, psychology, statistics and a skills course.)
I was a massage therapist, working at the same spa for 20 years. Also, my mom had a stroke early last year and I was her caregiver for almost a year and a half. I only wish I knew as much then as I do now! But it was a great learning ewxperience having the home health agency send PTs, OT, and speech therapists to my home to work with my mom.

Hi Tamara!
It's great to hear that you are enjoying your first year in OT. Even though I am already in my second year, I believe your knowledge and experience in other fields and life in general can teach us so much. I hope that you keep us updated!

I, too, am a little confused and somewhat overwhelmed by how we're supposed to put together all the information we've learned so far. And the workload can be so daunting at times that I feel like not trusting myself and anything. I hope we can talk and share more about our experiences and challenges in the other thread dedicated for them.

Before I forget, my name is Paulyn and I study Occupational Therapy in the Philippines. I can't say that I enjoy every single thing about studying but I will say that OT is truly interesting. Our profession is noble. And for the sake of our future clients, the difficulties are something we can wholeheartedly endure.

As I've mentioned before, I hope you keep us updated!

-Paulyn

Offline

#107 Tuesday 11th of October 2016 11:56

gvyrastorza
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Hey Tamara!

Welcome to the forum! We're all hoping to hear more from you from now on! Even though you didn't explain it, I'm sure your experiences in OT have been wonderful!

Meg wrote:

Does your program have a student occupational therapy organization?

Yes, it does! And I'm sure there's plenty of volunteer work! Only thing is that we're still dipping our toes into OT, so I guess some of us are still a bit hesitant to go that deep into it. Still, volunteer work is pretty much an opportunity that never goes away, so maybe someday!

Offline

#108 Sunday 30th of October 2016 15:45

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Greetings from the Philippines!

I am Sophia Kaye Villarama, a college sophomore from the University of the Philippines Manila. Unlike probably most of you, I do not have a “Why I Chose Occupational Therapy” story that I can share since I took this career path simply because my parents told me to do so. What I really wanted since I was a little kid was to become a pilot someday, but maybe, being a pilOT wouldn’t be so bad after all.

My university is the first to offer the Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy program here in the Philippines and up to date, it is the only one offering it as a four-year program consisting of 156 units distributed throughout eight semesters and two summer periods.
We begin with general education courses in arts and humanities, social sciences and philosophy, and natural and biological sciences which are then followed by foundation courses covering human development, health, illness and disability with courses centering on occupation-based theories, process and skills. The next phase of our study focuses on occupational therapy evaluation and basic intervention strategies for pediatric, psychosocial and physical dysfunctions commonly seen in occupational therapy. We are also equipped in research, teaching, community based rehabilitation, and basic concepts in organization and administration of occupational therapy services. Clinical training in the final year of our study serves to integrate the theories, concepts, and skills through supervised management of actual patients in relevant practice settings.

Admission to the program is limited to a maximum class size of 30 students. Currently, we are only 29 in the batch. See our photos below!

FluxBB bbcode test
                                                      With one of our professors in Lifespan Development and Occupations
                                           
FluxBB bbcode test
                                                                                  Doing the "OT pose"!

Last edited by spvillarama@up.edu.ph (Sunday 30th of October 2016 16:26)

Offline

#109 Sunday 30th of October 2016 17:52

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Hi Naja!

How is your thesis going so far? It's very nice to hear that you are only four months away from being a professional occupational therapist. Congratulations in advance!

I liked and browsed through your Facebook page and I took a particular interest on the short posts you wrote about how yoga therapy and occupational therapy can help support an independent meaningful daily living for people living with medical conditions. During my fieldwork last year, I was able to observe an occupational therapist who uses yoga as a therapeutic tool. I find it really interesting how she uses the recreational activity as both a therapy and a fitness routine for children with Down syndrome. Since then, I always looked forward to learning more about integrating yoga and occupational therapy, here's hoping that I can use it with my clients in the future.

Naja Forchhammer OT wrote:

Hey guys smile
I'm Naja, a 27 year old OT student from the Metropolitan University in Copenhagen, Denmark.
I'm very interested in OT, and I think it's amazing how you learn to help people live a meaningful life, no matter where they're from or what they need help with.
I've been doing exchange in both Berlin, Germany, and in Parnaiba, Brazil. In October I'll start writing my thesis about OT and yoga and will be finishing my education in January 2017.
Besides studying I'm running an Instagram account (regarding me and my work as an OT), and a Facebook page. At the moment I'm preparing different posts for the Global ADHD Awareness Month, which will take place in the month of October. If any of you are interested in following it, you can find it under Naja Forchhammer on Facebook smile

If you've any questions, please feel free to ask smile


Best regards Naja.

Last edited by spvillarama@up.edu.ph (Monday 31st of October 2016 14:33)

Offline

#110 Thursday 10th of November 2016 01:21

Noel Nicanor
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Hey Felix! It's nice to know that we also had the same sentiments in choosing psychology or biology as our college degrees back in high school, but needless to say, our stay here in OT seems to prove itself as a fun and nourishing experience overall. I'm pretty sure that I will be staying and finishing this course here in the university so I expect nothing but the best to come out from this. Maybe some day you would be able to help me concretize the idea of not only doing intervention inside clinics! I think this would be a great way for us to apply what we learn in our course as well. Hope you're also happy about your academic life as an OT student. Best wishes and good luck!

Felix Isaac Tiburcio wrote:
Noel Nicanor wrote:

Hey guys! A lot's been discussed already, but I guess it's never too late to introduce myself. smile
My name's Noel Niño Nicanor, but you could call me Noel. I'm an 18 year old Occupational Therapy student at the University of the Philippines Manila and I am currently in my second year in the degree program. I initially wanted to take up Psychology, Biology or even perhaps Veterinary Medicine but a lot has happened since then. I really enjoy exploring the outdoors and have fun just tiring myself to death by walking anywhere my feet would take me. I'm even thinking of using the great outdoors as a means of therapeutic treatment rather than being cooped up in a clinic. I guess I'll see whether it is feasible or not as I get to know more about the profession.

On keeping up with the ongoing topic of how we got to know Occupational Therapy, I first heard of this profession (along with speech pathology and physical therapy) from my mom when she got home from the US. She apparently first heard these professions from her friend who worked as a caregiver there. She then asked my Aunt who's a practicing paediatrician in Texas and was thoroughly impressed at how these jobs help in rehabilitating and reintegrating pwd's back into the community through different treatments and also with different areas of focus of each profession. So she then introduced my sister and I to the world of rehabilitative practice. And thus my own adventure as an OT began.

I am still quite unsure of what I really want to do in the future, but I do believe that I was born to be of service using the best of my potential and I think OT is proving itself to be such a suitable course in achieving that goal.

As for being an OT student in the Philippines, I think the environment here is really conducive for the development of a purpose driven attitude because of how my college is located near a hospital. in fact, the hospital, Philippine General Hospital--  an esteemed tertiary state-owned hospital, is located right inside the university campus! This set-up only intensifies the feeling of being an agent of service. At times it also served as an inspiration for me to study well.

I am hoping to know you guys more and have fun discussing the different topics to come! smile


Hi Noel! Like you, I wanted to take up something related to psychology or biology but somehow ended up in an OT course. I hope that as you continue your OT course, you'll find a greater love and appreciation for the course and the profession.
By the way, I love your idea of using the outdoors as a source of intervention! I hope that idea will motivate and inspire you to continue pursuing OT. God bless and good luck!

Offline

#111 Thursday 10th of November 2016 15:13

Harryslasp
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

I am a student majoring in industrial design in china, where the education system is not that advanced compared to other countries.
Now I am eager to read some textbooks that are recommended by the best colleges to improve myself. So are there any industrial-design students who can show your textbook list in your major?

Offline

#112 Tuesday 15th of November 2016 16:28

RichardIrvin
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Ivanna Co wrote:

Hi! I'm Ivanna, a 2nd year from the University of the Philippines Manila.

I fell in love with Occupational Therapy when I was a 3rd year high school student. An alumna who came to speak in our career symposium is an OT. She explained what OTs do and what tools they used to help their clients. As the OT was (and is) based in a pediatric clinic, I was fascinated to see that she works with toys to help the children improve.

During our fieldwork observation last semester, I was able to meet her again. Although she admitted that the profession was not all rainbows and butterflies, it was also extremely rewarding to see clients improve before her own eyes. All the other OTs I observed had smiles on their faces as they talked about their clients' progress. Upon seeing all these, I realized that I really do want to become an OT.

Even though our curriculum is jam-packed, I would never think of changing my course. I love that we can improve peoples' ways of lives and help them achieve their goals. I want to become an OT that could put a smile on my future clients' faces as well. In addition to that, my blockmates support and de-stress me with all the crazy antics they do (I love you guys so much).

In just a span of 2 years, I was able to learn so much from my professors, blockmates, and my environment. I still have more things to learn, but I will try my best to absorb and apply them for the future. I hope to become an OT that can enable people to achieve something for themselves.

Hi Ivanna! You're so lucky to know what OT is before choosing this program. I just barely knew what OTs do in a general sense. I guess I'm just a bit daring and jumped into this course not really knowing what I've gotten myself into. Nevertheless, I have come to love this course through all the fieldworks and videos.

Offline

#113 Tuesday 15th of November 2016 16:33

RichardIrvin
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Hi Ivanna! You're so lucky to know what OT is before choosing this program. I just barely knew what OTs do in a general sense. I guess I'm just a bit daring and jumped into this course not really knowing what I've gotten myself into. Nevertheless, I have come to love this course through all the fieldworks and videos.

If I may, have you considered working in another country? or pursuing a masters or doctorate degree?

Ivanna Co wrote:

Hi! I'm Ivanna, a 2nd year from the University of the Philippines Manila.

I fell in love with Occupational Therapy when I was a 3rd year high school student. An alumna who came to speak in our career symposium is an OT. She explained what OTs do and what tools they used to help their clients. As the OT was (and is) based in a pediatric clinic, I was fascinated to see that she works with toys to help the children improve.

During our fieldwork observation last semester, I was able to meet her again. Although she admitted that the profession was not all rainbows and butterflies, it was also extremely rewarding to see clients improve before her own eyes. All the other OTs I observed had smiles on their faces as they talked about their clients' progress. Upon seeing all these, I realized that I really do want to become an OT.

Even though our curriculum is jam-packed, I would never think of changing my course. I love that we can improve peoples' ways of lives and help them achieve their goals. I want to become an OT that could put a smile on my future clients' faces as well. In addition to that, my blockmates support and de-stress me with all the crazy antics they do (I love you guys so much).

In just a span of 2 years, I was able to learn so much from my professors, blockmates, and my environment. I still have more things to learn, but I will try my best to absorb and apply them for the future. I hope to become an OT that can enable people to achieve something for themselves.

Offline

#114 Saturday 19th of November 2016 09:27

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Harryslasp wrote:

I am a student majoring in industrial design in china, where the education system is not that advanced compared to other countries.
Now I am eager to read some textbooks that are recommended by the best colleges to improve myself. So are there any industrial-design students who can show your textbook list in your major?



Good day @Harryslasp!

Most of us here, if not all, are BS Occupational Therapy majors with this being a forum on OT itself.

I am not that familiar with industrial design, more so with the recommended textbooks of the said course, but I would try to answer your question (just like an OT )

Have you checked these links, though?


CLICK HERE FOR TEXTBOOKS



CLICK HERE FOR MORE TEXTBOOKS



CLICK HERE FOR EVEN MORE TEXTBOOKS



CLICK HERE FOR EVEN MORE TEXTBOOKS + MORE



CLICK HERE FOR EVEN MORE TEXTBOOKS + EVEN MORE



Have a great day and good luck with industrial design!

Offline

#115 Saturday 19th of November 2016 10:03

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

cathlizzie wrote:

Hi everyone
My name is Catherine and i have recently commenced my second year on BSc Occupational Therapy degree at University of Salford, UK.
I am mature student and I am living my dream of becoming an occupational therapist. I have worked as a residential social care worker with young people/ adults with physical and learning disabilities for over 11 years. I love helping people and promoting interdependence/ independence to enable people to reach their full potential.
I encountered occupational therapy when a young person i was supporting had a sensory assessment. The dedication and determination of the therapist was amazing in order to make a difference to this person's life. From that moment i wanted to be an occupational therapist. So i left full time employment and began my journey as a student .. something i had not done for over 20 years!!! so yes initially i found academic writing hard but with student support and additional workshops i am making pleasing progress..... onwards and upwards now...
I am not too sure which area id like to specialise in, i did originally think SI but last placement was Orthopaedic and i loved it ,.. especially observing TKR in theatre!! my next placement is community mental health setting working with Older adults.
I look forward to hearing from you     cheers xxxxx


Ayooo Catherine!


(川o・u・)ノ


I am Leanne, taking up BS Occupational Therapy at the University of the Philippines-Manila. Just like you, I am also on my 2nd year.


(・0・)


I greatly admire not only your love for learning that surpasses most of today's youth, but most of all, your passion for service.


ヾ(☆▽☆)


I could feel how much OT is made for people like you, and albeit cliché, you were made for OT as well. It is with values that you exhibit along with the eagerness to initiate change on a person's life that makes OT a breathing and (could I say) "flaming" profession.


(´∀`)♡


I hope that I could reach the stage of enlightenment you are in right now in the near future.


Have a great day and keep the OT flame burning!

Offline

#116 Saturday 19th of November 2016 13:56

Ivanna Co
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Hi Richard!
I don't have any plans on working abroad as OTs are already scarce here in the Philippines. However, I plan on pursuing further OT studies after the required RSA (return service agreement wherein recent graduates must work in the Philippines for a minimum of 2 years). Not sure where yet though smile How about you?

RichardIrvin wrote:

Hi Ivanna! You're so lucky to know what OT is before choosing this program. I just barely knew what OTs do in a general sense. I guess I'm just a bit daring and jumped into this course not really knowing what I've gotten myself into. Nevertheless, I have come to love this course through all the fieldworks and videos.

If I may, have you considered working in another country? or pursuing a masters or doctorate degree?

Ivanna Co wrote:

Hi! I'm Ivanna, a 2nd year from the University of the Philippines Manila.

I fell in love with Occupational Therapy when I was a 3rd year high school student. An alumna who came to speak in our career symposium is an OT. She explained what OTs do and what tools they used to help their clients. As the OT was (and is) based in a pediatric clinic, I was fascinated to see that she works with toys to help the children improve.

During our fieldwork observation last semester, I was able to meet her again. Although she admitted that the profession was not all rainbows and butterflies, it was also extremely rewarding to see clients improve before her own eyes. All the other OTs I observed had smiles on their faces as they talked about their clients' progress. Upon seeing all these, I realized that I really do want to become an OT.

Even though our curriculum is jam-packed, I would never think of changing my course. I love that we can improve peoples' ways of lives and help them achieve their goals. I want to become an OT that could put a smile on my future clients' faces as well. In addition to that, my blockmates support and de-stress me with all the crazy antics they do (I love you guys so much).

In just a span of 2 years, I was able to learn so much from my professors, blockmates, and my environment. I still have more things to learn, but I will try my best to absorb and apply them for the future. I hope to become an OT that can enable people to achieve something for themselves.

Offline

#117 Saturday 4th of November 2017 22:00

relizabeth
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Hi, My name is Robetha a 1st year occupational Therapy student form United Kingdom. I have 6 modules in my first year in which one of the module are Occupation and Wellbeing . We have been asked by our tutor to make connections with other occupational therapy students, to gain insight into your experience as an occupational therapy student. Could someone please share with me your experience, and how many modules do you undertake in your first year ? Thank you so much.


I have one week left to make a connection?  need your help please.

Last edited by relizabeth (Sunday 5th of November 2017 17:47)

Offline

#118 Saturday 4th of November 2017 23:10

lA318
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Hi
I am lynda and year on of occupational therapy at christchurch uni in kent ( uk )
I am looking to link up with someone to see the differance etc
be great to hear from you smile

Offline

#119 Tuesday 7th of November 2017 12:18

ek203
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Hello everyone,

i'am Emily King, in my first year of Occupational Therapy, I live and study in the UK in Canterbury.
We have been asked to reach out and connect with other international students studying OT. I have 6 modules in my first year and the one i am focusing on at the moment is Occupation and Well-being.
Are there any other students studying this module at the moment? how are you finding it?

Emily

Offline

#120 Wednesday 8th of November 2017 19:10

tj114
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Maria Nicole Sombillo wrote:

Hello! I am Nicole, a 2nd year student from University of the Philippines Manila.

If you have asked me two years ago, I can never imagine myself as an OT. Entering college, BS Occupational Therapy was not my first choice. I prefer Education or Biology. But because of my family's "talks" and decision, I took BS OT.

As I go on through college, I can say that I began to love OT little by little. Obviously at first, I had little knowledge of what an OT can do, but as I go on, I get inspired of what we can do not just for persons with disability, but for others as well. We, too, can touch lives. We encourage them. We EMPOWER them.

I also learned a lot from our professors. I learned to be competent, to be more sensitive, and to be professional. I learned to be more open minded of the issues and debates arising from our course and to think critically before taking sides.

As for my peers, it feels good to have these amazing people who support each other. Every test, project, and exam becomes more bearable and enjoyable knowing that we have each other's backs.

As an OT student, I also learned the concept of Occupational Balance. But I admit, that sometimes, I find it hard to balance my studies, extracurricular activities, and personal and family affairs. I should master better time management and setting of priorities.

As of now, I'm still on the rocky road of becoming an occupational therapist. I sincerely thank my family for the "talks". And yes, I can now envision myself as an OT in the future. smile


Hi Nicole, my name is Taine and i am currently a first year student studying in the UK it would be great to find out how your course was different from mine and what modules you studied in your first year.

Offline

#121 Wednesday 8th of November 2017 19:13

tj114
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

Hi my name is Taine and am currently a first year occupational therapy student. It would be great to make a connection with an international student and to discover how your course is different from mine.

Offline

#122 Wednesday 8th of November 2017 21:47

relizabeth
Member

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 1: Getting to know you

tj114 wrote:
Maria Nicole Sombillo wrote:

Hello! I am Nicole, a 2nd year student from University of the Philippines Manila.

If you have asked me two years ago, I can never imagine myself as an OT. Entering college, BS Occupational Therapy was not my first choice. I prefer Education or Biology. But because of my family's "talks" and decision, I took BS OT.

As I go on through college, I can say that I began to love OT little by little. Obviously at first, I had little knowledge of what an OT can do, but as I go on, I get inspired of what we can do not just for persons with disability, but for others as well. We, too, can touch lives. We encourage them. We EMPOWER them.

I also learned a lot from our professors. I learned to be competent, to be more sensitive, and to be professional. I learned to be more open minded of the issues and debates arising from our course and to think critically before taking sides.

As for my peers, it feels good to have these amazing people who support each other. Every test, project, and exam becomes more bearable and enjoyable knowing that we have each other's backs.

As an OT student, I also learned the concept of Occupational Balance. But I admit, that sometimes, I find it hard to balance my studies, extracurricular activities, and personal and family affairs. I should master better time management and setting of priorities.

As of now, I'm still on the rocky road of becoming an occupational therapist. I sincerely thank my family for the "talks". And yes, I can now envision myself as an OT in the future. smile


Hi Nicole, my name is Taine and i am currently a first year student studying in the UK it would be great to find out how your course was different from mine and what modules you studied in your first year.


Hi Nicole, Thank you for sharing your experience as an Occupational Therapy student. I would like to find out a little bit more about your OT in the Philippines Manila if that is okay with you? Robetha

Last edited by relizabeth (Wednesday 8th of November 2017 21:48)

Offline

Board footer