You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Occupational Therapy International Online Network (OTION).

Our goal is to provide an online resource for the international occupational therapy community through this on-line forum.

You will have the opportunity to participate in discussion topics related to your practice area and interact with your international colleagues. A moderator, who will be a resource to the group, monitors each topic.

We look forward to your participation and contribution to international occupational therapy practice.

If you are new, please click here to register. If you have already registered, click here to login.

#51 Wednesday 16th of November 2016 03:01

dbamparado

Re: OT Students Interaction Topic 3: The Things I Like about OT

What I love about OT is that you get to witness and take part in making people's lives easier. More than a medical professional, OTs are actually hands-on in aiding their patients have a wholesome lifestyle.

#52 Saturday 19th of November 2016 08:49

dbamparado wrote:

What I love about OT is that you get to witness and take part in making people's lives easier. More than a medical professional, OTs are actually hands-on in aiding their patients have a wholesome lifestyle.

Ayoooo @dbamparado!

(*^▽^)/

I love how you used the word "love" despite the title baring a mere "like."

(*≧∀≦*)

I guess it shows how much us OT students and practicing OTs alike put that much passion and effort in our field. It is true that even if we are heavily medically-inclined, our approach is a mix of different aspects; these aspects will be the product of our years of study (along with the all-nighters, papers, and tests).

I would not deny that one of the best things I like-- (•゚д゚•)

LOVE about OT is the common thing we all have. I am not sure if it is just me or a lot of you guys have noticed it, but there is something about being with our fellow OTs, and having that certain *click* whenever we interact with each other. I have seen it in our general assemblies and events, and I have experienced it with our professors as well; the OT community has their own unspoken language that no matter what the topic or occasion, we just completely enjoy the company of our fellow OTs.

Is it the effect of our academics? Has the company of each other taken its toll on each of us? Have we been destined to be bound within the OT community?

????????????????

Up until now, it still remains to be unsolved to me, how we OTs could connect in such a unique and distinctive way.

(ノ∀`♥)

Have you guys experienced the same thing?

#53 Sunday 20th of November 2016 00:58

Noel Nicanor

Like what I've said in a previous post, I feel that I was meant to be of service to those who need it. I just don't know for whom and in what way. Discovering and learning more about the potential and importance of OT has just helped me further attain my goal. What I like about OT is how limitless it is when it comes to possibilities. It is still a growing profession and a lot is still yet to be done.
I like how we deal with people from different walks of life with varying degrees of how much they need intervention. I can imagine already working inside a clinic and realize that with every client that enters through the doors, I will be met with an entirely new challenge because of the uniqueness of each patient that we would be dealing as OT’s. I also like how we are able to make use of what it is that makes our patients enjoy life as sources of intervention, that being the OT’s distinction of using occupations.
How about you guys? What about OT have you found likeable?

#54 Sunday 20th of November 2016 01:35

Noel Nicanor

Ivanna Co wrote:

Another interesting aspect of OT is adapting objects so that their clients may be able to utilize them. OT is not just about habilitation and rehabilitation; OT can improve a person's way of life by changing the environment to fit the client as well.

Hi Ivanna, Noel here! I also find the concept of adaptation very interesting because it helps pwd's do their original occupations by using the same devices that they used when engaging in that occupation. It helps in a way that they would not need to adjust drastically given their disability.

Ivanna Co wrote:

One inspiring OT is Ma'am Penny Ching. A former instructor in our college, she is now helping in the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC). As a country regularly hit by natural calamities, OTs are essential to assist people who have lost their homes and jobs and are unable to do their regular occupations.

Truth be told,I never really liked the thought of being stuck inside a clinic for the rest of my life. That's why when Ma'am Ching was introduced to us as having participated in the NDRRMC and helping people who have been affected by these calamities, I can't help but think that this is where I would like to give my focus on. I really want to explore the brand of occupational therapy that is outside the clinics.

#55 Sunday 20th of November 2016 12:45

K.V.Rivera

The main reason why I love occupational therapy is because we tailor make our interventions suit our client’s needs. Some professions tend to generalize and talk and intervene to people in bulk and tend to forget that while we may share some same qualities, we learn and develop on our paces.

There is also the fact that through this profession, I get to help people. I know it may sound cheesy or that a lot of people here have already said this, but a reason why a lot of people are studying this profession is because they truly want to help.

Lastly, I really like OT because the topics and ideas interest me. All of the concepts and the strategies and the milestones, they are an integral part of OT and these are the classes i enjoy the most. Even as a child, development always interested me. Even if I didn't understand it at the time, I always wondered how it was that kids learned, how they grew, and how it seemed as if every single one of us had these innate concepts that we seem to know since birth. I now know that these concepts may not be as innate as I made them out to be, but instead as things that are an effect of our upbringing and that culture greatly affects these morals of ours.

#56 Sunday 20th of November 2016 12:54

K.V.Rivera

Noel Nicanor wrote:

Like what I've said in a previous post, I feel that I was meant to be of service to those who need it. I just don't know for whom and in what way. Discovering and learning more about the potential and importance of OT has just helped me further attain my goal. What I like about OT is how limitless it is when it comes to possibilities. It is still a growing profession and a lot is still yet to be done.
I like how we deal with people from different walks of life with varying degrees of how much they need intervention. I can imagine already working inside a clinic and realize that with every client that enters through the doors, I will be met with an entirely new challenge because of the uniqueness of each patient that we would be dealing as OT’s. I also like how we are able to make use of what it is that makes our patients enjoy life as sources of intervention, that being the OT’s distinction of using occupations.

Hi Noel!

I too love the fact that we make use of occupations and day to day activities when with our clients. Its a really unique way of tackling situations and one of the many many things I continue to love to learn about our profession. And while I admit that the idea of OT seemed boring at the start, what I found likable was our attention to detail about everything in the development of a person.

#57 Sunday 20th of November 2016 13:02

K.V.Rivera

spvillarama@up.edu.ph wrote:

I have met and conversed with a lot of Filipino occupational therapists who I find really inspiring, but in my opinion, the one that tops them all, although I still haven’t met him/her is the colleague of one of my professors who according to her is both a practicing occupational therapist and a pilot (which is all I ever wanted to be as you may have read in my previous post).

From my fieldwork experience in a pediatrics clinic during my first year, I was able to observe first hand the magic that an occupational therapist can bring to a person’s life. As the clients in the clinic I observed are mostly school-age children, the main role of the occupational therapist that I observed is to prepare the child for school; thus, she makes use of pre-reading, pre-writing, and pre-math activities as part of the treatment. Until now, I can still remember her sharing with me how rewarding it feels to see her client now able to write all the letters of the alphabet when she cannot write a single straight line before the therapy sessions.

Hi Sophie!

Like you, I have spoken to many occupational therapists, most of them through my fieldwork, and they all basically said the same thing. The road to becoming and OT is hard, and the road after that is even harder, but the smiles of your clients, the feeling that the small thing that you did has a large impact on their lives, these things make the profession worth it. This is another thing I love about OT, the smiles that you can give to people is priceless.

#58 Sunday 20th of November 2016 15:09

actan7

Noel Nicanor wrote:

Hi Noel! Alexia here!

I've said it before but I'll say it again anyway because I think it's worth mentioning twice. I like OT because it is such a unique profession. You don't see a lot of professions that aim to improve a clients' conditions using activities that THEY want to do, not what the doctor tells them to do. It's so refreshing to see how client centered the profession is and how it empowers its clients because of this. The profession gives its clients a CHOICE when it comes to what they want to do for the day. It's up to us OTs to find a way to make their chosen occupations therapeutic and effective for them. Also, I really like how the profession promotes holistic development of a person. It does not promote one aspect of health over the other, but it promotes finding a balance between our physical, emotional, mental and psychosocial health.

#59 Monday 21st of November 2016 03:41

etalas wrote:

What OT taught me is that "you will never know what you can do unless you try" or simply EXPLORE. Moreover, it taught us that we, OTs, can make the impossible, possible through modifications and adjustments.  OTs are like superheroes!

What I love about OT is that it made learning and developing enjoyable. How? For example, in pediatrics, we develop and/or enhance skills of our clients through play. Both children and OTs enjoy playing and at the same time they are both learning. Even in other settings, clients will surely enjoy since they are the one who will choose what they want to do during the session. OT is fun!

Hi Gale! What you said was one of the reasons why I was so drawn to the occupational therapy. I love seeing people defy the odds of what they are capable of doing and proving other people wrong. To be able to give people the strength to do the things that they want to do and accomplish is one of the most fulfilling things to see as a future OT. In fact, OT is a highly motivational profession for me. I hope that one day, I'll inspire and motivate my patients to do the things that they love once more!

#60 Tuesday 22nd of November 2016 17:55

dbamparado

myungderp kiddo wrote:
dbamparado wrote:

Ayoooo @dbamparado!

(*^▽^)/

I love how you used the word "love" despite the title baring a mere "like."

(*≧∀≦*)

I guess it shows how much us OT students and practicing OTs alike put that much passion and effort in our field. It is true that even if we are heavily medically-inclined, our approach is a mix of different aspects; these aspects will be the product of our years of study (along with the all-nighters, papers, and tests).

I would not deny that one of the best things I like-- (•゚д゚•)

LOVE about OT is the common thing we all have. I am not sure if it is just me or a lot of you guys have noticed it, but there is something about being with our fellow OTs, and having that certain *click* whenever we interact with each other. I have seen it in our general assemblies and events, and I have experienced it with our professors as well; the OT community has their own unspoken language that no matter what the topic or occasion, we just completely enjoy the company of our fellow OTs.

Is it the effect of our academics? Has the company of each other taken its toll on each of us? Have we been destined to be bound within the OT community?

????????????????

Up until now, it still remains to be unsolved to me, how we OTs could connect in such a unique and distinctive way.

(ノ∀`♥)

Have you guys experienced the same thing?

Tbh I wasn't enamored with OT at first hahahahaha I was so boxed in on the idea that this is a trap that would lead me to either med or stagnation. I was relieved when I realized that I still can pursue my (ahrtsy) dreams beyond the medical field even with OT as an undergraduate course.

#61 Thursday 8th of December 2016 17:49

esc501

Thank you :-) I'm glad you feel it is rewarding too! Thank you for sharing your experiences as well.

spvillarama@up.edu.ph wrote:

Hi Ellen!

I cannot agree with you more when you said that occupational therapy is a very rewarding career. Although I do not have much to share yet about the actual practice as I am still halfway through my sophomore year, let me at least share with you my fieldwork experience last year.

The pediatrics clinic that I was assigned to caters occupational therapy services to mostly school-age children and only very few adults. The occupational therapists  evaluate and treat children from 2 to 3 months up to 10 years of age with a variety of diagnoses including autism related disorders, ADD/ADHD, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, and delays in fine motor and visual motor skills which directly affect their academic performance. The OT's there help children gain independence and promote development of fine motor, sensory motor, and visual motor skills that children need to function and socialize in their community environments especially school. Aside from direct client care, I also learned that they also do school visits and home health support.

As their clients are mostly school-age children, the specific long-term goal of occupational therapists in the clinic is to write/improve the written communication skills [of clients] for greater proficiency when using writing implements and/or a keyboard. They make use of pre-reading, pre-writing, and pre-math activities as part of the treatment and design other individual and group programs and activities to enhance a child’s independence through self-care like feeding and dressing, play and leisure activities, hand strengthening and coordination activities as well as neurodevelopmental techniques for children with cerebral palsy.

Through directly observing how an occupational therapy practitioner works, I became fully aware of the various important roles we play in the clinic setting and thus better appreciate occupational therapy as a profession. My drive to continue taking this career path grew because of this experience, for it made me realize how rewarding practicing the profession can be someday.

esc501 wrote:

Everyone I have spoken to who works as an occupational therapist has told me how much they have enjoyed their work and found it a really rewarding career. I suppose that would make sense giving that they are all people who have chosen to stay in the profession, but it is encouraging! :-)

From a personal point of view occupational therapy has made me think more about why I do the things I do and what they mean to me. I think about things from another point of view (an occupational one), which I didn't perhaps so much before. I really like how we are definitely helping people too. I have occupations that are so important to me. When I think about doing a job that helps other people to do things that are important to them I think, well what a brilliant job!! I'm sure the practicalities of work and organisations etc make it challenging e.g. limited resources. But the premise of the job is one I really buy in to and that's why I wanted to do it. Definitely making a positive difference to people's lives, whatever area of occupational therapy we are working in.

I'd be interested to hear other people's stories about specific things they have encountered. I'm sure there's a lot of inspiring stuff out there :-)

#62 Thursday 8th of December 2016 17:50

esc501

SO many things I agree with here - thank you! Really positive to read, really enjoyed it :-)

kyla.rocafort wrote:

Diverse. If there is one word that I can use to describe OT, it would be DIVERSE. I love the fact that OT encompasses life itself. I love the fact that OT is an all-around course. I love the fact that we highlight the importance of participation. I love the fact how we have a completely different definition of “occupation.” I love the way OT makes us flexible. I love the fact that we analyze toys.  I love the way OT practices a teaching-learning process. I love the grading system. I love the way OT surprises people that they need us, the occupation and the enablement that we provide to sustain and obtain maximum performance. I just love how Occupational Therapy is unique and special all at the same time.

The closest interaction I had with an occupational therapist was during our fieldwork during our first year. I had a glimpse of the life of an occupational therapist under the pediatric section. The way they work reflects how happy they are with what they do. I can’t wait to feel the same gratitude in the future.

OT has enabled me to think more critical and observe more keenly. In fact, after our fieldwork this year, I was more observant. During the fieldwork, my partner and I observed a toddler play, and we evaluate his motor, cognitive and social skills. After that experience, I tend to observe children playing and running around malls and analyze and predict their age based on the motor skills (e.g the way they walk, run, hop and carry objects) and language skills they show. Then after guessing the age in my mind, I would politely ask the parent for the child’s age. I would be pleased with myself whenever I get the correct answer.  It may sound absurd, but every time I’m able to remember and apply what I learned in observation and living, it makes me more determined to learn more about OT. Also, OT has taught me to place myself into the shoes of others which make me realize the importance of a certain occupation to people (even if it does not hold meaning to me before). This is a great motivation to work harder so as to provide the clients the opportunity to engage in occupations and find meaning in their life. The most important experience I’ve had so far is reflection. OT has enabled me to reflect and dig deeper to my core. It has enabled me to be more open and understanding. OT has made me establish a strong sense of self-identity within myself.

“Occupation is a strong enabler of knowing one’s self.” (Hasselkus) This is my favorite OT quotation. It makes people appreciate the things they had and have, and it makes people reflect hardcore. What’s your favorite OT quotation? smile

Board footer