You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Occupational Therapy International Online Network (OTION).

Our goal is to provide an online resource for the international occupational therapy community through this on-line forum.

You will have the opportunity to participate in discussion topics related to your practice area and interact with your international colleagues. A moderator, who will be a resource to the group, monitors each topic.

We look forward to your participation and contribution to international occupational therapy practice.

If you are new, please click here to register. If you have already registered, click here to login.

#76 Friday 27th of April 2018 16:14

edeblasi

Re: Welcome to "Working in Another Country" !

Hi everyone, I am a pediatric OT and have been practicing for 10 years. I have also been an adjunct professor for the past 3 years. I am currently in NY but looking to relocate for some amount of time. Can anyone recommend international volunteer or work experiences in peds or education. I am primarily interested in Southeast Asia but that is not set in stone. Any recommendations would be helpful!

Also does anyone know of any doctorate programs with stipend either in the US or international??

#77 Sunday 6th of May 2018 11:49

Springtime

Kristi wrote:

Hi all,

I am a US licensed OT and plan to start work with a school in the Netherlands. Does anyone know the appropriate way to handle US state licensure in this case? Of course, my NBCOT certification and requirements will be up do date but is it best to place my state license on inactive status?

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Kristi,

I'm also a US licenced OT in the Netherlands, with similar issues. I'm currently attempting the Dutch ergotherapie registration process. I'd love to hear what you've found out and share information!

#78 Monday 21st of May 2018 23:32

edeblasi

Hi all,
I am a pediatric OT and an adjunct professor in NYC. I am looking for volunteer/work opportunities primarily in south east Asia. Any recommendations??

#79 Tuesday 22nd of May 2018 01:05

ezkatz

Hi all,
I've been an OT in the US for 20 years. I currently live and practice in Nebraska and Iowa, USA. I specialize in low vision rehabilitation, primarily with older adults. My daughter will be studying in a PhD program in Edinburgh, Scotland and I plan to apply for a family/visitor extended visa. Would it be possible for me to find a volunteer or any part time work there? Would I have to be credentialed with UK health services first or is there any temporary way to use my state licensing and NBCOT registration? I feel I could make an impact with older adults living with vision loss in Scotland.

#80 Monday 2nd of July 2018 23:11

DomOT

¿Hay algún terapeuta ocupacional español accediendo a estos mensajes? Mi compañero es español y estamos planeando regresar a España. He intentado buscar lo que se requiere para trabajar y practicar en España, pero no he tenido ningún resultado. ¡Cualquier idea o enlace sería muy apreciada!

Are there any Spanish occupational therapists accessing these posts? My partner is Spanish and we are planning to move back to Spain. I have tried looking for what is required to work and practice in Spain but have had no result.  Any ideas or link would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by DomOT (Tuesday 3rd of July 2018 11:17)

#81 Tuesday 17th of July 2018 06:03

Almazmaz

Any Namibians or Soth Africans that have gone to work in the UK anytime over the past 3 years? Would like some information regarding the application process. Please email me: almazshipena @yahoo.com

#82 Thursday 1st of November 2018 12:09

John86045

Depending on your wishes and your conditions, this could either be the easiest or the most difficult query for you to answer. You may just want to think about on one country or you may want to travel to many different countries. If you're travelling on your own, your decisions will be very simple, but it will be harder for people who are travelling with others to make this option. Sit down on your own or with the people you are travelling with and write down a list of where you want to go, and the places you want to visit, then choose from there. Remember group travelers don't always have to stay in a group; in fact, it can be very caring for everyone to do their own thing from time to time.
Thanks& regards,
John Pitter
Refugee Tents | Military Tents | Camping tents

Last edited by John86045 (Thursday 1st of November 2018 12:16)

#83 Monday 12th of November 2018 06:53

OliviaSB

edeblasi wrote:

Hi all,
I am a pediatric OT and an adjunct professor in NYC. I am looking for volunteer/work opportunities primarily in south east Asia. Any recommendations??

Hi edeblasi,

I can link you in with some information about volunteer/work opportunities in Cambodia if you are still interested!

My email is oliviabowman1@gmail.com

Cheers!

#84 Thursday 15th of November 2018 00:08

bethesullivan

Hello.

My name is Beth Sullivan, OTD, OTR/L. I am a faculty member of the University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences in San Marcos, CA, USA.

I had the wonderful opportunity to participate in my first short-term mission trip to a mountainous region in Haiti in January 2016 and will be returning to Haiti with the same team in January 2019.

I am a member of the Haiti OT Association (https://www.haitirehab.org/fsrl-program). I completed my OTD capstone project by creating two OT Facts Sheet about culture, history and beliefs of Haitians, which are posted on the Haiti OT Association website. These fact sheets are a useful tool for any OT going to Haiti on a short-term basis to assist in understanding Haiti's complex culture.

Beth Sullivan, OTD, OTR/L
The University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences
bsullivan@usa.edu

#85 Friday 14th of December 2018 01:34

hthumser12

Greetings!

I am currently in the process of completing my master's in occupational therapy (in the United States). I will be an entry level OT as of May 2019. My soon-to-be husband is Chilean and I am hoping to move to Valparaíso/Viña del Mar to live with him. I am pretty much fluent in Spanish and hoping to become an OT there. Does anyone know about what the process is like to validate my career? If you have more details, I would be happy to share my email address to discuss more. Thank you so much!

#86 Tuesday 29th of January 2019 11:00

Shaama

Hi I am Shaama from India. I am an occupational therapist with 3 years of experience. I am looking forward to work outside India. Kindly contact me if you have any suggestions and ideas for me. I am mainly focussing on working in either Qatar or Canada. But really need ypur help and inputs to make a move.
My email id is shaama1529@gmail.com

Last edited by Shaama (Tuesday 29th of January 2019 11:02)

#87 Monday 25th of March 2019 15:39

Trin

Hi everyone!

I'm a Swiss OT with BScOT Diploma thinking about moving to Canada to work there as an OT. Does anyone have experience or information about the ACOTRO / SEAS Process..? Seems pretty complicated. Or is there any other option to get practicing in Canada / Manitoba?
I'm very thankful for any type of information on that topic!!!

Thanx and have a great day everyone!!!

Trin

#88 Wednesday 1st of May 2019 02:28

julialindsey

Hello
I am an OT in the US. I currently do some teletherapy. I was referred to a client living in Japan. What are the regulations in Japan? Are there licensure requirements? If it is private pay do I need a doctors referral? Is teletherapy recognized in their practice act? Thank you

#89 Monday 2nd of September 2019 04:50

markandlaurat

Hello! I am a pediatric OT practicing in the US. We are considering moving to the Philippines. Anyone know where to get information to practice in the PI?

#90 Tuesday 24th of September 2019 11:27

SSHAR4

Hi,

This is an excellent forum for OTs across the world to connect and share their experiences and or guide each other with transitions from one country to the other.
I am an OT licensed in USA. Preparing for ACOTRO in British Columbia, Canada. Looking for other OTs/Students who are preparing for this exam or have already taken it recently.
In addition to exam prep, I am looking to network with OTs and OTAs in British Columbia.
Look forward to response/s here!

Cheers
Shubhi

#91 Tuesday 1st of October 2019 04:44

SSHAR4

julialindsey wrote:

Hello
I am an OT in the US. I currently do some teletherapy. I was referred to a client living in Japan. What are the regulations in Japan? Are there licensure requirements? If it is private pay do I need a doctors referral? Is teletherapy recognized in their practice act? Thank you

Hi Julia,
I am excited to learn that you practice telehealth. I have read about it on AOTA and OT practice magazine. You'd be the first OT who I am connecting in this arena. Would you be open to sharing how it actually works? I am in BC, Canada. Exploring avenues to broaden my outreach.
Which state and setting do you work in?

Happy Fall!

Cheers
Shubhi

#92 Tuesday 1st of October 2019 04:48

SSHAR4

Trin wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm a Swiss OT with BScOT Diploma thinking about moving to Canada to work there as an OT. Does anyone have experience or information about the ACOTRO / SEAS Process..? Seems pretty complicated. Or is there any other option to get practicing in Canada / Manitoba?
I'm very thankful for any type of information on that topic!!!

Thanx and have a great day everyone!!!

Trin

Hi Trin,

Greetings.
Since your post is from March, I assume you must have appeared for ACOTRO in July this year? I am preparing for SEAS/ACOTRO myself. It would be nice to connect, if you'd like. What has been your area of practice, so far? And which setting do you now plan to work in Canada? Or I guess sky is the limit when one moves to a new country and starts from beginning!
Best wishes
Cheers
Shubhi

#93 Thursday 7th of November 2019 14:39

HandOT

Hello Eli

I am a OT hand therapist working in the US and interested in work in this area of OT abroad. If you have any advise.

Thank You
Nisanne

elham_s wrote:

Hello everybody.
I am Eli, OT and Handtherapist by 13 years experience in this field. I am studying master in Hogheschool Van Amsterdam in the Netherlands and working in Iran as a head of Occupational therapy office and Handtherapist.
I am so happy to chance to meet you all here and exchange experience by occupational therapist from all over the world with different experiences.

Last edited by HandOT (Thursday 7th of November 2019 14:40)

#94 Thursday 7th of November 2019 14:45

HandOT

Hello Peter,

I am an US OT working in Hand therapy upper extremity rehab and interested in working abroad. Please contact me if OTs are needed in this area
Nisanne
nisanne.rassie@gmail.com

Peter.CanadianOT wrote:

Hello Everyone!!
It is great to see how OT is spread out across our globe.
I'm Peter Drzymala an OT of 23yrs. currently employed in the capacity as the Professional Practice Lead for LIH Sky City Rehabilitation Hospital in Kunming, China.  It is a new 104-bed Rehab facility in the southern part of China that is scheduled to open in Jan. of 2017.  Our intention is to bring high quality, evidence-based, client-centred rehabilitation to the population of China and also to provide Professional Development for OTs in China.  It is an exciting and challenging opportunity.  I would happy to answer anyone's queries about working in China and/or OT in China.
I am also looking to recruit and hire OTs who have at least two years of experience.  Please contact me and I can provide more details.

Board footer